Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #15

We enjoy a bit of all types of parks. Haven't boondocked yet but wouldn't say no to the opportunity. And our rig is our motorHOME.
3catstravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 06:03 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Carolina Campers
hmmmm.....

Y'all will have to tell me where these state parks are I can't get into.

To be honest we haven't really had any problems at 41feet give our take. Do we have to plan a little more as far as picking out a site before getting there? Yes, but it really hadn't been an issue. Just sayin'

We go to all kinds of places and find a way to enjoy them all. It really depends on where you're going and how congested the area is. Remember, home is where you park......

Carry on. …...
Old 02-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
We visit both types of campgrounds. I call them "parking lots" vs "camp grounds" and we have our uses for each type depending on what we're up to. But we clearly prefer the more rustic, "campy" places.

As for nomenclature--to me there are two large categories of RV--those that have their own source of locomotion, and those that are pulled behind a towing vehicle. Those that have an engine are called motor home or motor coach, and neither term is snooty in my view. They mean the same thing.

They are differentiated in name by the other type of RVs that are towed behind a truck or other large vehicle. Those are either trailers or 5th wheels. Neither is necessarily better, though 5th wheels are almost always bigger.

All if the above are RV's, and offer very similar avenues to recreation and/or living. The grilled burgers taste the same, the scenery can be identical if you want, the fun-factor is not limited in any of the various types of RV, and the personalities of people who own them are as variable within each category as they are between each category.

It's all good. Enjoy the destination and the journey.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Wild Toad---
By definition - "wikipedia" (
and maybe corroborated by Fox news)
Camping
is an outdoor recreational activity. The participants (known as campers) leave urban areas, their home region, or civilization and enjoy nature while spending one or several nights outdoors, usually at a campsite. Camping may involve the use of a tent, caravan, motorhome, a primitive structure, or no shelter at all.
Far be it from me to cast dispersions on a fellow IRV2'er (it aint camping)" but the unrulyfrog may have it wrong. If it's fun it could be camping.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:15 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I'm past my days of tents and sleeping bags, and these days roughing it is when the campground doesn't have cable, but the RV lifestyle is still magical. I wouldn't trade it. It's all about freedom and living YOUR way on YOUR schedule. I'm so glad I live in a country where this is possible. I was in Australia a couple of years ago and would have LOVED to do it over there...they have small motor homes, but not the land yachts we have here, and 'caravan parks' are around but small and few in number.

They'll pry the keys to my RV out of my cold dead fingers.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:56 AM   #20

Question is a rustic cabin (just cots) or a Prevost more akin to camping? Like most things in life there are many levels and grey areas in definitions. People choose or have a choice made for them. Ie (a multi-billionaire may chose to hike in the mountains and sleep in a tent even though she can afford an A380 personal jet with a new Foretravel in the bay for camping), a McD's burgerologist may dream of having Madden's RV however the choice was made for her (Ok lets assume his parents aren't affluent and can give him the RV or she chose to work at McD's after making millions with her invention/website/book). but she probably will have to use the tent.

Anyhoo back to the conversation.

Oh, and neither Motor home and Motor Coach is correct it's Rolling Fiberglass Box!
Old 02-04-2014, 04:35 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
State parks for us as a rule as well, for the same reasons.

We feel the same !
oneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:35 AM   #22

Jeff I could not agree with you any more.
We like to camp, being outside, having a campfire, etc
To me it's about the scenery.
We do 99% of our camping at state parks.
To each his own so what ever you enjoy that is the way to go.
DannyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #23

Mid Atlantic Campers
To me a motor coach is a rig driven by your staff to a NASCAR race while you fly in your Gulfstream V. .
Old 02-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansill View Post
Hey All, Aren't we all lucky to have our rolling tin houses??? No matter what size or configuration??? Hubby and I use ours whenever we can... He cannot get away as much as we would like, but heck....when we can turn the key and chug away from the driveway, we are in heaven!! Who cares whether you "camp" in a tent or a 45 foot luxury RV? We are all connected because we love the lifestyle. Last summer I was in a rustic campground with my "40 foot land yacht"...and my next door neighbor was in a tent with 4 kids...We had conversations and shared a drink and then the rain that came down practically washed them out.... Hubby and I were able to welcome them into our "home" and we were glad to do that. Isn't that what it is all about? The family slept on the couches and the floor of our RV and we shared what we had with them. The kids giggled and watched TV and I was glad that I could provide for them until they fell asleep. The next day, we assisted the clean-up of their camp-site and the kids kept saying that they wanted an RV like ours....but I bet they will remember the night that they spent with us and maybe it was good memory. I think that the kids will look forward to a camping experience that may be a tent on the ground or they may try to save up to purchase a rolling home on wheels, but whatever that night meant to them....it is a personal experience FAITH
That's a great story! Wish there were more kind and considerate people like you in this world!
Cajunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
We like both

Dick
Old 02-04-2014, 11:26 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As to Camping vs RVing... Always interesting to read how many State and National Parks are 1) Heaven and 2) Inaccessible to Larger RVs --- and How many resorts or RV Parks are 1) Hell and 2) Concrete Jungles. Admittedly - both can be true - but neither is all there is.

As others have said - you can find what you're looking for in most areas with a little effort. Burn bans can put campfires in the woods in the not allowed category. A hot tub, pool and bar can be a nice oasis in a "concrete jungle." Do your homework and wherever your are will be where you want to be. On the other hand....

Name:   image-793326588.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  27.1 KB

Have fun out there!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
A couple of years ago, at a nice RV Park in South Texas where we were wintering, a 40' "Swirlies" arrived to back into the site behind us. My MH is a 1987Pace Arrow in decent shape. A Lady got our in red high heels, and proceeded to guide the driver backing up. I asked if I could help, and she told me she could handle it. He followed her instruction, and I returned to my chair. The man parked it, lowered his jacks, put out his slides and awning, and unloaded his chairs and other things. Then went to hook up the rest of the things, and couldn't locate the sewer. He asked me if that site had a sewer connection. I looked and told him his rear wheels were on top of it. Then, the argument started with his Lady, which attracted a lot of attention. This was camping at its best. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Jeff View Post
I like to Camp. By that I mean I like to look out my RV window and see God's Beauty. I like to sit by a big campfire at night and roast marshmallows. I like to get up in the morning and cook chorizo and eggs on my Coleman road trip grill. I like to go to State and National Parks. Recently I had a discussion with a friend who has a 40+ foot rig that he can only take to certain places and then he referred to my rig as a motor home and his as a motor coach. Sure his is fancier but I feel I have a nice RV as well. I guess what I'm saying is I'd rather dry camp at a state park or campground then an RV park where you park on a concrete slab with your neighbors slide right on your awning. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy a few trips each year at my father's RV resort in Pismo beach where you cant even have a fire or set up a tent for extra kids but give me a nice big open campground any day. Anyone else feel the same.
Like to camp? NO, I LOVE to camp! some of my fondest memories are in a Pop-up with our children when they were small. We've moved up, had two class C's and two Class A's. If it is self propelled, I'll call it a motor coach. If it's got ALL the comforts of home and too big to boondock in state/national parks, I'd call it a motor HOME (Most homes I know of don't move from lot to lot too well. Snootiness aside, I'd rather have mine that his. If he wants to just pull up and stay inside the darn thing then I guess he has the right rig. I park mine, go out and see the sights, meet the neighbors, and sit outside 'til bedtime, so I guess I have the right rig for me.
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote