Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
If you have an adolescent boy that refuses to take a shower, introduce him to the CW sales staff. That will cure him.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My feeling is that if you are out to buy several items, CW is your best bet for one stop shopping. If you just need 1 or 2 items you will likely save money at WM, but they do not carry as varied an inventory as CW. I did a lot of business with the CW location in Santa Clarita CA, and had no complaints. They had most everything in stock, and would order out of stock items with quick turn around, and call me when it was in. Of course I moved out of that area in ought 3, so that may have changed.

Glenn
Old 11-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #17

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
I appreciate all the input, I do have numerous independent dealers within an hours drive and at least 10 within a 2 hour drive.
Dave
Old 11-23-2012, 10:39 PM   #18

I shop the Internet first, then CW for products. I've been taking my coach to a independent RV shop that has done me really well for years . I will admit I had problems with CW working on my coach and that forced me to look elsewhere.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Though the prices in Camping World stores may or may not be higher (They are not overly high in most cases but you can get better deals elsewhere) they also have one of the biggest selections in the camping business.. This (not having to drive all over heck's half acre burning fuel to get everything you need.

A partial complaint (Store specific) is the technical types (Shop crew) may not always be the best at what they do. Some of them screw up big time in fact.

Another issue is that along with Camping World, Good Sam's and Woodalls, they own campgrounds, and are a Major member of the campground owner's assn. which is the group most responsible for "NO OVERNIGHT RV PARKING" signs. in Wal-mart and other parking lots.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #20
doc

Appalachian Campers
RVupgrades (IRV2 sponsor) has better prices on most of the stuff I have priced and I wlll be ordering a towing base plate and braking system from the soon.
As someone above hinted, I get the feeling I need a shower after talking to the sales staff at a certain Atlanta are CW. I hope this is just THAT store and not all that CW stores are as slimey as these guys act. The staff at Myrtle Beach seem OK, but then....who knows until after the sale. CW does have a huge amount of RV 'stuff' and I even buy from them when I am in a bind and need it immediately.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Doc, your comments remind me of a former Ford Dealer (now out of business) I once dealt with.

After shaking hands you count your fingers and wash well.

Yes, they ripped me off for 350.. Wanted to do more but I stopped them there. then filed a formal complaint,,, i'm sure I'm not the only one since the notice on the padlocked door was from the State.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
As a newbie I am getting the idea that people love or hate camping world. I don't want this to be a complaining thread but I want to know if they are independently owned, if some are better than others, if their service is good, etc. For those that have bought an RV from them was it a good experience?

As I said I am a newbie, we have rented a TT and a class C and are learning the ropes before buying.
We were on the Road last summer and starting to look for our New Motorhome well New to us. We saw a few on line and contacted Dealers to see if we could make a Deal and they were quick to respond. We saw 2 or 3 on line at CW and so i sent an Email to ask about them. We never got a response. I called 1 time and the man i talked to said Person that was in charge was busy and would call back with Info. We never got a call back. We in the end bought from Lazydays in Tucson. Their Customer Service is the best we have seen in a long time. We went to CW which is next to Lazydays for a few things and the staff was asleep at the wheel. There were maybe 3 shoppers in the store and 2 staff behind the service counter doing nothing and a Lady at the check out. We asked for help buying a Cover for our Motorhome and both the guys said well go out and see how long it is. Are they not allowed to go outside to help figure it out well maybe so. We got the Info and one said you need this size and the other said no they need the larger size??? We got the larger one but that store in Tucson is pretty bad for Customer Service. We will not stop there again next time we are in Tucson. I think the CEO Marcus Lemonis needs to wake up his Managers to see just what is going on.
Tractor16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:05 AM   #23

I used my local CW's service department for a major repair on my RV and the experience was so bad that I'll never do business with them again.
ajlcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:15 AM   #24

Mid Atlantic Campers
I hope that all of you will post over on rv.net to the ask Marcus thread! They need to know.

I to purchase from CW only when they have super sale's Most of the time you can find things cheaper with a search.

If I had some of the problems some of you have had I would shop elsewhere myself.
I do think they have gotten to big and out of control.

It really is hard to find good help but it is a reflection on the bad management and Marcus and they will fall faster than they rose if they soon don't get it under control. Hello Marcus ?
soundman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:57 AM   #25

I'll be wary of using any CW in the near future - seems like they want to inspire buying fever with their atmosphere so you pay more for items you can find elsewhere or pick up online and wait a few days for - like getting auto parts and accessories while at the dealer.

Called CW one time to price a used RV they posted online but said the amount was too low to post online.

Got a rude-slick selling guy at a Jersey location who practically had a fit when I told him my budget was under $10K for a used RV as a starter (mistakes like backing into a pole don't feel so bad.)

Got a lecture on how he could hook me up with an $18K model that will fit my family right and the financing will be "sweet." (I've been debt free for about 4 years now, thanks Dave Ramsey)

He told me he wouldn't trust his family in cars that cost less than $10K, so why should I trust my family to a home that cost less than $10K.

Told him both my cars were used and bought for under $6K and that he lost a CW customer for life and hung up.
Tomaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:52 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd never give them another penny. Their interested in only one thing $$$$$$$. Just a big company trying to take advantage of the people.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
With all due respect Bruce, isn't that what MOST companies should be interested in ?

Otherwise we'd call it a hobby, not a business

I've had good experiences @ CW just like ANY business, the mgmt can't be in all places at one time.... so it varies...
Old 01-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #28

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi DaveTN,
I agree that each store is different (for service) so ask questions before handing over the keys. The work I have had done at CW stores was done on time and of high quality. No complaints from me on their service.

As to the store merchandise, I consider them a convenience store. If I need something like right now, they usually have it. They also seem to have the odd item that I need for some unique to me purpose.

As to pricing, overall, I am pleased with their pricing (on sale pricing with GS discount). I do search the Internet for comparison and find very few places selling for a total cost to me the same or below what CW's total cost to me is.

Lastly, their return policy is great. For what ever reason, I can return merchandise with no hassle.

I have been a customer of CW since 1978.
X2- Can't say it better.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote