Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2019, 06:20 AM   #1

Camping World

I saw on the news yesterday that the CEO of CW, Marcos, announced that they are going to concentrate on RV sales and service and get out of the outdoor side of products. However my local CW told me that they were dropping the name Camping World and were rebranding to Garner Outdoor, now that CW bought out the bankrupt Garner. The news article said that CW was closing several hundred stores. Maybe they are just changing the name on several stores because of the negitive view of CW and those stores keeping the CW name will just be RV dealers and those stores changing to Garner will sell outdoor equipment. 
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2019, 06:24 AM   #2

I think it is Gander Outdoors aka a male goose. We saw some CW outlets rebranded to Gander this summer.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
I saw on the news yesterday that the CEO of CW, Marcos, announced that they are going to concentrate on RV sales and service and get out of the outdoor side of products. However my local CW told me that they were dropping the name Camping World and were rebranding to Garner Outdoor, now that CW bought out the bankrupt Garner. The news article said that CW was closing several hundred stores. Maybe they are just changing the name on several stores because of the negitive view of CW and those stores keeping the CW name will just be RV dealers and those stores changing to Garner will sell outdoor equipment. 
Unless I am mistaken, I believe CW bought out Gander stores.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:31 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
"Headed by CEO Marcus Lemonis, a Marquette University alumnus and star of CNBC's “The Profit,” Camping World bought Gander Mountain assets in a bankruptcy auction last spring and since then has been moving toward reopening some of the stores as Gander Outdoors"

"Last year, in a move that raised industry eyebrows, Illinois-based RV-outfitter Camping World acquired the belly-up outdoors retailer Gander Mountain at a bankruptcy auction. ... Accordingly, Camping World said it will launch Gander RV in 40 locations by spring 2019."

"One recent misunderstanding revolved around Camping World's recent acquisition of Gander Mountain, a hunting, fishing and camping equipment retailer. ... Lemonis doubled down on the idea that while Camping World sells outdoor accessories, its primary business is in recreational vehicles, commonly known as RVs"
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:32 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I expect that to some degree it's a matter of semantics. My GUESS would be the Camping World branded stores will concentrate on RV sales, while the Gander Outdoors stores will continue to sell both. The local Camping World in St Augustine, Florida had a name change to Gander RV and Outdoors, it now no longer comes up on a search for Camping World stores near my zip code. The stock inside the store changed somewhat for more outdoorsy stuff, but the still have what looks to be the same amount of stock in RVs.
The local Camping World in Jacksonville didn't change names, and still comes up in a search.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:25 AM   #6

Our local long time RV dealer here in WI (Kings Campers) is delighted with the new RV dealer in the vicinity (Gander RV)
There are folks buying RVs from Gander but refuse to take their RV to them for service. They instead have the work done at Kings Campers.
I believe this is because of the stellar reputation Kings Campers has compared to
CW and in turn, any of Lemonass's properties.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:16 AM   #7

They could spin it all they want, this is a consolidation due to poor sales. They are closing stores. This is nothing more than a marketing spin.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:46 AM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Typical

Rebranding is a ploy to ensure longevity and it’s used by many a business with sagging sales.

A shift in culture is the key to success. Providing the customer with great service and a more than satisfactory experience would eliminate the need to rebrand.

It seems that this concept is lost on many a service or consumer based business.

“ you can fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me”

My cousin bought his RV from CW, has has a horrible experience and is amongst those in the former, and he’s determined not to be one of the latter.

I’m known in the family as “ the Consumer from HE__.” If I’m not happy, I’ll go to great lengths to make it right or let the business know that there is plenty of competition out there, and that they shouldn’t expect my business, or business from my family and friends anymore. If more folks were less complacent, and took the time to air their complaints effectively, the business community/communities would have no choice but to respond appropriately in order to maintain their bottom line.

In this day and age of numerous choices, it’s really a case of survival of the fittest.

Cheers 🍷

DJ
Old 09-05-2019, 10:39 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Sadly, you and many others are misinformed on what Lemonis actually said.
How could they be misinformed? They got it straight from Facebook, right?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:23 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
How could they be misinformed? They got it straight from Facebook, right?

Old 09-05-2019, 11:59 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I think I am like most other handy folks. I will buy something locally if they have it in stock. Most times that is not the case so I order it direct to my door. If I am in no hurry I order it direct to my door. I don't care what the name of the store is I just want what I want at a reasonable price in a timely fashion. If CW goes under I will have one less place to shop pricing and delivery nothing more nothing less. Once I get on the road full time I am sure that operating protocol will change and I will have to rely on physical stores more heavily unfortunately.
Spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:28 PM   #12

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
I think I am like most other handy folks. I will buy something locally if they have it in stock. Most times that is not the case so I order it direct to my door. If I am in no hurry I order it direct to my door. I don't care what the name of the store is I just want what I want at a reasonable price in a timely fashion. If CW goes under I will have one less place to shop pricing and delivery nothing more nothing less. Once I get on the road full time I am sure that operating protocol will change and I will have to rely on physical stores more heavily unfortunately.
Nope they will ship to RV parks. Get Amazon Prime and they ship over night.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:53 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
THREAD WARNING!

It seems that whenever Camping World is mentioned in a thread, it turns political. Our community rules are very clear that this is not permitted. We have already had to delete a few posts for doing this.

We have had to close previous threads for this conduct in the past and we don't want to do it again with this thread.

Thank you to those posters who stay on track.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, camping world