Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2019, 07:20 AM   #85

Some of the people who state they have had a good CW experience remind me of this saying. "If you don't know who the sucker at the poker table is, then it's you." They think they're receiving fair service and purchasing at a fair price because they don't know any better and/or they are to proud to admit they were ripped off. Younger generations read reviews and research more than CW's older clientele therefore CW's rebranding the stores distances themselves from from their own bad reputation....for awhile.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2019, 07:55 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodLife View Post
Some of the people who state they have had a good CW experience remind me of this saying. "If you don't know who the sucker at the poker table is, then it's you." They think they're receiving fair service and purchasing at a fair price because they don't know any better and/or they are to proud to admit they were ripped off. Younger generations read reviews and research more than CW's older clientele therefore CW's rebranding the stores distances themselves from from their own bad reputation....for awhile.
Actually the sucker might be anyone that believes everything they read on a forum! These are the same people that believe that Amazon always has the best prices. I check all of the prices before I buy but if it’s close I like to support people that work in my city.

1998 Georgie Boy Swinger/2005 Jeep Liberty
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-01-2019, 08:45 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
A couple of points - those expressing surprise haven't been paying attention to the various statements, earnings calls, etc from CW. This transition has been in the works since the day CW purchased various assets of Gander Mountain in bankruptcy. To expect CW to do nothing with the name is absurd; while Gander did not have the esteem of Bass Pro or Cabella's, they were not generally seen in a negative light. Also note that unlike Sears/KMart, Gander existed in mostly leased properties and CW got lease payments for empty stores until the conversion takes place. In one community the Gander store was in a downtown redevelopment district and the city would not change zoning to accommodate RV sales, so the new Gander Outdoors is being built in a new development away from existing RV and outdoor equipment dealers... but it's a leased property.

Mr Lemonis is a jerk for various and sundry reasons but he's still the COO of CW and the actions he takes in that role are more important to me than his views on various social or political issues (is he too liberal or too conservative? I don't know and don't really care).

That said, I think BTFT is a bit short on the number of locations being re-branded and perhaps a bit hopeful that the info he's received from private sources is, in fact, correct. My observations and resulting conjecture is that there will be more Gander Outdoors (or whatever they end up calling it) stores that used to be CW, or the Gander location will eventually result in a same-market CW location closing. I think what may be more telling is what CWH does with the mom & pop RV dealers it has purchased without a name change - will CWH open a new Gander shop and then fold in the RV dealership?

There is value in uniform branding (ask the fast food and casual dining industry) and I think CWH will make the most of that going forward.

Just a correction to what you wrote: My source for the number of stores being re-branded came from the CAMPING WORLD HOLDINGS WEB SITE (As I noted in the post)

All the sources I used were reliable well known business web sites Like Motley Fool and WSJ and the CW Holdings Web site. Nothing repeat nothing came from "private" sources.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:00 AM   #88
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wow! So much negativity towards CW. Personally I have never had a bad experience at a CW, just the opposite.

My experience yesterday at the New Braunfels CW was great. The personnel were very courteous and respectful. Every one of them we met in an isle asked if they could help. One from a small room reached out and asked if they could help.

My suggestion is that if you have a bad experience at a camping world you should send a report to the corporate headquarters marketing director. I'm sure that no company wants to be branded as some RV'ers tend to do for CW. Report it!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:16 PM   #89

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFT View Post
So according to you anyone who believes they have received good service from CW is a Sucker and a Dupe and too stupid to tell the difference between good and bad customer service?

That my friend is an incredibly arrogant and demeaning point of view which is laughable on it's face. It relegates hundreds of thousands of satisfied customers to the level dogs on leashes. I can only hope you mis-typed something.
The Glory of our country is that we can choose who we do business with. A person can refuse or limit their business for whatever reason they consider important to them.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:38 PM   #90

Newmar Owners Club
Back in the day when I was in business It would have been wonderful to charge Full List Price and give my customers a 10 or even 15% Discount on the price of merchandise!
Then everyone started selling stuff At Cost ,hoping to sell enough that the rebates offered by the suppliers would offset the cost of maintaining a sales force and a retail location.
Apparently CW has figured out the formula !
Good on them , but I will continue to shop elsewhere
Old 05-03-2019, 09:33 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSDP View Post
Back in the day when I was in business It would have been wonderful to charge Full List Price and give my customers a 10 or even 15% Discount on the price of merchandise!
Then everyone started selling stuff At Cost ,hoping to sell enough that the rebates offered by the suppliers would offset the cost of maintaining a sales force and a retail location.
Apparently CW has figured out the formula !
Good on them , but I will continue to shop elsewhere

This is going off topic unfortunately but WHERE you shop of course is everyone's choice and as far as I can tell that is not at issue here. I don't see a single post urging any one to shop at CW.

I rarely shop at CW...only because most of what I need I can get from Lowes or HD or RV shops far closer to me in Tucson than CW.

The issue is what is CW doing with Gander.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:26 PM   #92
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Obviously some of you just can't abide by staff direction, abide by Community Rules & have continued to take this thread off-topic.

Posts have been removed & this thread is closed.

L-
Closed Thread

Tags
camping, camping world