Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2021, 06:33 AM   #1

Camping World consignment services??

Has anyone used or had any experience with Camping World's consignment services?
Any info greatly appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2021, 12:54 PM   #2

In April 2013 we bought our MH on consignment at CW. The entire process was quite smooth for us. I suspect the seller received much less than he anticipated because CW replaced/repaired almost everything we pointed out required doing so.
One was a safety violation I discovered after the sale. It required rebuilding the entire air-operated step cover. The sales manager for CW of Indianapolis did not falter when I pointed out the fault.
I would buy from CW on consignment again if we were MH shopping.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 03:02 PM   #3

We sold our 5th wheel on consignment with Camping World. I told them how much I wanted for the 5th wheel. They said we can do that. Sold in about 3 weeks. What they sold it for I do not know or care. I got what I wanted for it.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 03:07 PM   #4

1. A dealer will always try to sell HIS inventory before consignment units. Heck he is paying floor plan (interest) on it.

2. When inventory is in short supply (LIKE RIGHT NOW) you may represent the only supply he has.

So, right now, consignment may work far better than previously.

Another option is to try to sell it yourself for a short time. No sale, THEN consign it.

You have to weigh hassle factor vs $$.

I can't comment on CW vs other consignment lots as I have no first hand experience with them-- and suspect that not all CW locations are the same.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:45 PM   #5

The short response is yes, I have had a very recent experience with the CW consignment services and I would advise that you NOT deal with CW and certainly avoid their consignment services. I will elaborate tomorrow or as soon as I can, but we have had just horrible customer service from CW.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:29 AM   #6

We had purchased a used motorhome from CW and it had chronic issues due to neglected maintenance and maybe just bad luck. During the year and a half that we owned it, it spent the majority of that time in the local CW service department getting various systems repaired (and often fixed again). So, the last time that it looked like it would be spending an extended time getting various repairs done, we made a decision to consign the unit to CW for an agreed upon net price. CW actually sets the actual sales price / asking price to cover their expenses such as marketing. Unfortunately, the price they set was even higher than we had originally paid for the unit a year and a half earlier and it did not sell during the consignment period (even with an extension of 30 days). So, we opted for the "buy back" provision, where CW agrees to simply buy the unit back, but for a lower price, since our new motorhome had arrived at another dealer and we needed to take delivery. And we did look at trade-in options at the other dealer, but they really didn't want to offer much.

The big issue was that once we agreed to the buy back, it took CW nearly a month to write us a check for the unit. There was a payoff to the lien holder (bank) involved, but no real explanation why CW held up the funds for as long as they did. The consignment manager was good about communicating during the consignment process, but the local and corporate CW policies were too bureaucratic for my patience.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippetTaxi View Post
The big issue was that once we agreed to the buy back, it took CW nearly a month to write us a check for the unit. There was a payoff to the lien holder (bank) involved, but no real explanation why CW held up the funds for as long as they did. The consignment manager was good about communicating during the consignment process, but the local and corporate CW policies were too bureaucratic for my patience.
I'm no fan of CW RV sales. However, in this situation I suspect the delay came from your financing institution and not from CW and you can't blame CW for wanting a clear title in hand before giving you the cash.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippetTaxi View Post
I have to agree that the issue here was likely the financing. I am currently purchasing a rig financed through Ally Bank. They apparently have not moved out of the 19th century when it comes to banking. They received the check they insisted on (no wire transfers) two weeks ago yesterday. Yesterday the seller received the title from the Wisconsin DMV. There probably would have been another week added to this time frame if we had not overnighted the check to them. This is a ridiculously long time for this to happen. In the banks I worked for and when I was closing up banks for the FDIC we could usually get a title turned around in about 24 hours. So I don't think you can blame this one on Camping World.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, camping world, service