Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2019, 05:01 PM   #43

I for one would love to see CW go under and close every door they have. It might bring back the honest, hard working independents that the RV industry was built on.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2019, 05:52 PM   #44

I hear stories all the time about how dissatisfied people are with their RV dealer, whom ever it is, as they had problems they didn't expect. Camping World is bigger, the owner is more visible, so more complaints. Big deal.

It is the state of the industry that the manufacturers do a terrible job with quality control. And I mean all of them from million dollar rigs on down. They ship the units out, and expect the dealer to handle all the issues. And many dealers expect the buyer will find the issues for them. A bad business model but it is what we have.

I have never bought an RV from Camping World, but in our travels around the country, we stop at many. I am very happy to have a nation wide chain that caters to the RV market, so we can get what we need from time to time. Once we stop for a while in an area, we may have the time to find a better RV store, but we know what to expect at a Camping World and they are easy to find.

So, I for one, hope they do not go out of business, but continue to improve services and products.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:49 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bolt View Post
I'm hearing that CW is in big trouble. Stock price is tanking and questions about many lawsuits against them.

I'm hearing that anyone who has an ESP warranty with CW should Immediately cancel it, or risk losing your entire investment if they go out of business.

Check out The RV Show USA on YouTube for exact ways to get your money back if you feel the risk is too great to continue.

https://youtu.be/qnDm1JC7U-s

Must do before they file bankrupt. Many other don't do's and DO NOW in his video recently posted.

Here is a recent Motley Fool article about Camping World. https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/...se-losses.aspx
lewisedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:04 PM   #46

I have just one thought: Sears.

Everyone thought they would pull it out of the fire despite rumors and analysis for years.

Where there is smoke, there is fire.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:23 PM   #47

fact,,,
i walked into camping world with my wife... we wanted a tagalong... found one... price seemed ok... i asked girl.. since this is on sale... all you will add is the sales tax? is that right? oh sure. do you like it... yes. mam, so nothing else besides sales tax, right? i asked this 3 different ways and got the same answer... so we went inside to the office... i had calculated sales tax in my head and the total would be right at 18,000...
saleslady added some stuff up and came to nearly 20k.
i asked, "why 20K? oh sir, surely you know we have to add for the shipping, and the dealer fee? and the blah blah and the xxxxx and the yyyy...
i explained that i had confirmed that nothing but the sales tax...

she went to check with management... came back with sir, these are all our proper fees...

i objected,, but really wanted to go camping... above the tent level...

she said she would ask the manager again and left... i looked at my wife and said... "let's go." and we left..

i'll never give them a chance at a rv sale again...
i have snuck in and bought a few accessories...
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:29 PM   #48

I just bought my 4th 5er from CW. They had the lowest out the door price and service is better than any where around. I don't buy extended warranties and they do not like that. I go in with a great credit score and interest rates from local sources. They always match and twice beat local rates.
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:40 PM   #49

Thor Owners Club
Camping World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmaineac View Post
i bought class a thor 2019 and didnt buy any extended warranty. just paid what i thought was fair and locked into rate. they did all they said they would do...

now i wont say the finance guy was happy but i recorded the whole meeting and told him when the pressure came. That was that. all fine now...btw love my new coach and so do Dixie, Patches, Zoey, Ricky.. My 4 border collies....lol

We bought a 2019 Thor 32.1, got a good price & an OK trade in value on my 2008 HR Presidential Suite, wish I had it back.

I felt comfy dealing with the sales manager, since we've sold her 3 homes.

I have a near perfect FICO score & asked about financing. Sure we can do that for a competitive rate, wrong. But it was a weekend our bank & credit union closed.

So we used their financing, while signing the papers the HARD sale began. We keep saying no, no, no & he transitions into we are a christian based company. I have yet to have a good experience with folks that use that statement.

Finally we get to the extended warranty. Again we say no, no, no, NO! He kept at it, so I got up out of my chair to ask he if understood what no means. I think he got the message.

Took all day to get this done, but we did & drove it home. Next morning we contacted the credit union to get it refinanced, at a rate 2% better.

A few days later I'm back with MH for repairs & run into the guy. He was not exactly happy when the finance company called him to let him know what we did.

I wonder if they refused to give a kickback.
jbwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:44 PM   #50

Thor Owners Club
Interesting discussion. My wife and I are looking at buying our first Class A motorhome, and CW is the nearest (by 2 hours) dealer that has any class As. Our first visit there was so-so, but we saw and really liked the Thor Hurricane 29M. THEN I read all the negative comments and ratings. But as we have looked a little more for Class As the past month and gone to a dealer 2 hours away, we decide to go back to our local (45 minutes) CW and relook at the Hurricane.

A brand spanking new salesman (been there all of 7 days and in my age group--old!). We spend quite a bit of time talking to him, but even more talking to the Sales Manager. We directly expressed all our concerns and a lot of what we had read. He was very straightforward and (we believe) honest with us. We felt much better as to them being in the running as a place to purchase a motorhome.

What we found interesting was that the service writer's card we took and had the salesman write his info on was for Camping World. The Sales Manager's business card was for Gander "Gander RV." There was no mention of CW on it anywhere.

Perhaps this is another indicator of CW as the company name is going away???
harvnlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:54 PM   #51

Didint see to be a problem when we were yesterday. they matched every online price for everything.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:13 PM   #52

Cw going out

Interesting, in Myrtle beach their adding to one store and will have guns, another is remodeling. Now the store with guns may get the Gander name?
Dana Anderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:09 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Anderso View Post
Interesting, in Myrtle beach their adding to one store and will have guns, another is remodeling. Now the store with guns may get the Gander name?
I have a friend in management there. That store is #1 in sales in SC and in 2017 had the highest sales in the US. The Hwy 501 location has removed the store and will add more service bays. The Hwy 544 store/sales location is in for more. Land to the left has been purchased and can be readied for even more inventory in the future. Recently they purchased the vehicle repair facility and Sonic restaurant property. Those buildings have been demolished and land prepped for building. Current plans are for they RV sales offices and store to be built on that land and service only in the current building. Currently, the 544 location does very limited service as they PDI and prep RVs for sale. I have seen days when more than 10 RVs were being delivered. I've had great service at both locations. I have heard nothing about a name change or what new items, if any, will be available. I have seen Gander employees at various CW locations.
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:40 AM   #54

Like camping world

I personally have purchase two Motorhomes from CW in Chattanooga, Tn and Memphis Tn. I had good experience with both on the sale and service work. I purchased EW on first but not the second. The memphis store had good quality people from the general manager, finance manager and sales.
rabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:24 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabe View Post
I personally have purchase two Motorhomes from CW in Chattanooga, Tn and Memphis Tn. I had good experience with both on the sale and service work. I purchased EW on first but not the second. The memphis store had good quality people from the general manager, finance manager and sales.
Just a note, Memphis, TN, does not have a Camping World. The closest one is in Olive Branch, Mississippi. There is also one near Little Rock, AR.

Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:24 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
CW experience

We did buy a new class A from CW, 2016 Winnebago Suncruiser 38Q. Our first class A. We got a decent price and decided to do the deal because they were talking about the vast network of stores and service centers, both CW and Winnebago. My wife was leary about buying used and the warranty was sold well. Standard manufacture’s warranty.

First night out, after a delayed delivery for bad LCD on GPS that was not fixed over the prior week as was supposed to happen, we had a small leak. Absolutely no help from CW or WB service center. I ended up fixing the leak with a fifty cent piece of hardware from Lowe’s. Over the course of ownership they were of no help at all and I have as a result become a decent RV tech.

[Mod Edit] We traded at a real RV dealer in Atlanta for a very lightly used Entegra Anthem and have never looked back. What a difference.

I will try my best to never darken their doorway again as Amazon is pretty good for everything and much cheaper. If they do fail, they have only themselves to blame.

Tags
camping, camping world