Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2019, 07:25 PM   #57

No one is too big to fail in this industry, not even the manufacturers. However, there would be many others that fall long before CW.
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2019, 09:17 AM   #58

Not sure what's going on with Camping World, but it seems Gander Outdoors is taking over CW! Even the former Camping World NASCAR Truck series is now Gander Truck series! I believe this has happened, but admittedly I'm not a NASCAR fan!!! Anyone else noticed this?
Old 06-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie57 View Post
Not sure what's going on with Camping World, but it seems Gander Outdoors is taking over CW! Even the former Camping World NASCAR Truck series is now Gander Truck series! I believe this has happened, but admittedly I'm not a NASCAR fan!!! Anyone else noticed this?
CW acquired the assets of Gander Mountain in a bankruptcy auction on 2017. As part of the sale, CW agreed to keep at least 17 Gander stores open and apparently want to keep more open as well. The acquisition was renamed Gander Outdoor under the CW ownership.

What you are seeing is CW, not Gander.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:11 AM   #60

Quote:

Camping World Holdings (parent company of CW) purchased certain assets of Gander Mountain when GM went into Chapter 13 bankruptcy. Some of those assets were the name, owned real estate, lease holds, and intellectual property (customer lists, etc).

There is speculation that CW adopted the Gander name to confuse/obfuscate the actual ownership and CW's less than stellar public image.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:20 AM   #61

Quote:
Actually that is not correct. Quite the opposite, actually. Outdoor retailer Gander Mountain went into bankruptcy a couple of years ago. CW purchased some of the assets of Gander Mountain from the bankruptcy estate, including some of the stores and apparently the right to use the "Gander" corporate name. It has consolidated those stores with it's own operations and, where the stores were colocated or close to the Gander stores, they have renamed them Gander Outdoors and are selling both the sort of outdoor equipment and clothing that Gander Mountain sold as well as RV's. I'm not certain what the motivation was for changing the names on these stores (possibly others?) to Gander. Sort of suspect that it was to give the operations a fresh image. In any event, Gander isn't taking over anything.
adriangordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:48 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Camping World Holdings (parent company of CW) purchased certain assets of Gander Mountain when GM went into Chapter 13 bankruptcy. Some of those assets were the name, owned real estate, lease holds, and intellectual property (customer lists, etc).

There is speculation that CW adopted the Gander name to confuse/obfuscate the actual ownership and CW's less than stellar public image.
Nothing wrong with re-branding when public perception needs a boost. Land Rover's dismal Discovery series was named, "Discovery 3 and Discovery 4", around the world. Here in the USA, it became the "LR3 and LR4", because the vehicles were such junk that sales were plummeting.

It helped sales.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:45 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoesdad View Post
So amazing you can go to a CW and find no place to park because of the customers. You complain about their prices yet they have more customers than they can accomodate. If they close it will be because they have too much business, not from lack of business.

Our experience with what you describe above is a little different.

There is no place to park because the lot is filled with new RV's for sale. That is the situation in Bowling Green, KY, and several other stores we passed by/attempted to stop at on our way back from Florida last time. Finally parked at a store nearby, walked to CW expecting to find the store full of customers, only 2 or 3 customers, but LOTS of for sale RV's, and LOTS of sales people's cars parked right out front . . . We were looking for a vent cap that was damaged, but ended up buying on line for cheaper after we got home.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:46 PM   #64

Was shopping for safety cables today and went to CW first because I saw they had a 15% summer sale. First of all, their web site is a hassle compared to Amazon (WalMart's sucks too btw) and even with their "sale" the total price was less than $1.00 cheaper than Amazon for the same Roadmaster cables. CW claimed free freight for Club members on purchases over $49, but I couldn't get it to take the discount, so I gave up and bought from Amazon. Amazon isn't always cheapest, but they are so efficient and convenient that I seldom buy anywhere else now. Also, the few times I've had problems, Amazon has resolved them quickly with no hassle.

Also went to a CW store two months ago to buy a portable waste tank as I needed one in a hurry. CW only carried one brand, which had mediocre customer reviews on Amazon, so once again I bought elsewhere.

I have no axe to grind with CW, but it seems they seldom have what I want at a decent price.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:34 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
Was shopping for safety cables today and went to CW first because I saw they had a 15% summer sale. First of all, their web site is a hassle compared to Amazon (WalMart's sucks too btw) and even with their "sale" the total price was less than $1.00 cheaper than Amazon for the same Roadmaster cables. CW claimed free freight for Club members on purchases over $49, but I couldn't get it to take the discount, so I gave up and bought from Amazon. Amazon isn't always cheapest, but they are so efficient and convenient that I seldom buy anywhere else now. Also, the few times I've had problems, Amazon has resolved them quickly with no hassle.

Also went to a CW store two months ago to buy a portable waste tank as I needed one in a hurry. CW only carried one brand, which had mediocre customer reviews on Amazon, so once again I bought elsewhere.

I have no axe to grind with CW, but it seems they seldom have what I want at a decent price.
Walmart's inventory system has been wrong in 100 percent of the orders I've placed on-line to pick up in the store. I've quit using it because they tell you it's in stock locally when you place your order, then end up telling you it's on back order and you can pick it up next week after your order is processed.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:06 PM   #66

My local CW sure doesn't seem to be struggling. Always seems to be several folks in there (admittedly a bunch seem to be waiting on mx/service) and often new deliveries going on during my visits. There prices are what there prices are, some competitive some not so much, and there service is requires considerable patience, but from the outside it appears business is good. Hope it stays that way because it's awful convenient.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:52 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Walmart's inventory system has been wrong in 100 percent of the orders I've placed on-line to pick up in the store. I've quit using it because they tell you it's in stock locally when you place your order, then end up telling you it's on back order and you can pick it up next week after your order is processed.
My method is to use the walmart web site to get their product ID number, then call the local store and see if that product ID is in stock. If not, the store can tell me what other local store has it... I have a local store 10 minutes north, a second 20 minutes west and a third 40 minutes southeast. If none of them have it then I'll order it from Amazon... it will arrive at my house faster than walmart can get it to any of the three stores.

Mike
Old 06-25-2019, 06:17 AM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
My method is to use the walmart web site to get their product ID number, then call the local store and see if that product ID is in stock. If not, the store can tell me what other local store has it... I have a local store 10 minutes north, a second 20 minutes west and a third 40 minutes southeast. If none of them have it then I'll order it from Amazon... it will arrive at my house faster than walmart can get it to any of the three stores.

Mike
Mike,

That's a lot of effort to work around a wonky web page that's supposed to tell you if the item is available for local pickup!
Old 06-28-2019, 12:21 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Mike,
That's a lot of effort to work around a wonky web page that's supposed to tell you if the item is available for local pickup!
I agree, but it works. And I shared my working method with the idea that it might help someone else...

Isn't modern technology wonderful?

Mike
Old 06-29-2019, 05:35 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
I agree, but it works. And I shared my working method with the idea that it might help someone else...

Isn't modern technology wonderful?

Mike

Yes, it is . . . as long as it works, and is being used by someone with at least half a brain!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, camping world