Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2008, 02:28 PM   #1

Camping World - -
Is it getting too big and independent?

I have delt with CW for at least 30 years, paid for Presidents Club Membership since that was started. Service, as in life has not been perfect, but there have been no major problems until now. The last three interactions with these people left me with that "Never Again" feeling. Like in three strikes - - - I won't go into details unless y'all are interested, but I did purchase a Travel Trailer from them or one of their "partners" (Kinda' sounds like a legal firm doesn't.)

To end this, has any one else experienced any problems when dealing with CW in the last year?

'06 Dodge 2500 Megacab Diesel 4x4
Denny Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2008, 02:28 PM   #2

Camping World - -
Is it getting too big and independent?

I have delt with CW for at least 30 years, paid for Presidents Club Membership since that was started. Service, as in life has not been perfect, but there have been no major problems until now. The last three interactions with these people left me with that "Never Again" feeling. Like in three strikes - - - I won't go into details unless y'all are interested, but I did purchase a Travel Trailer from them or one of their "partners" (Kinda' sounds like a legal firm doesn't.)

To end this, has any one else experienced any problems when dealing with CW in the last year?

Old 11-29-2008, 03:14 PM   #3

I try not to do business with anything from the entire Affinity Group; ie CW good sam, insurance products and dealers. they seen to be determnined to monoplizw the RV industry. Certianly none of their products are any bargin.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
It appears to me that CW & it's associate companies have grown way too fast to be as efficient as they were.

Can't imagine what their sponsorship bill was in 2008 for NASCAR Cup, Nationwide & Truck Series.....seems like about every 10th car/truck was sponsored by CW. And now in 2009 they are the main sponsor for the Truck Series.

I have no reason to believe they're in trouble, but it appears they're doing a lot of things in excess during very difficult times for auto manufacturers and auto racing.
Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I dropped the CW Presidents Club, years ago and last year dropped Good Sam. I can find as good or better prices on the internet and not have to pay the membership fee.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rainbow:
I try not to do business with anything from the entire Affinity Group; ie CW good sam, insurance products and dealers. they seen to be determnined to monoplizw the RV industry. Certianly none of their products are any bargin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're very close to having the same feelings. Camping World is another big box store, only without the lower prices that big box stores offer. The Good Sam membership does usually pay for itself in discounts at CG's but just barely.
Steve Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:41 AM   #7

Let' see. I had a bad experience at Wal-Mart, Sears, Home Depot, Target, Auto Zone, the gas station and my bank in the past year. I think I will start a thread seeing if I can find others to share their bad experiences.

I find it more productive to seek out "people" within these types of organizations and make the effort to develop personal relationships with them. I smile when I see them, I tell them when they are doing a good job and I say thanks often.

It's amazing the kind of personal service I get when I go back the next time. I don't expect to pay the lowest price in town every time I buy something. Service does come at a higher cost.

Camping World has nice, clean facilities, a good selection of items, and people with a willingness to help. Sometimes you have to wait your turn for someone to assist you or have them order a part that is not in stock but we can't expect them to have every part for every accessory ever put on an RV.

Yes, we all have bad experiences but what's the point in complaining all the time. I suggest we all spend more time trying to make life more pleasant.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:53 AM   #8

What I like about Camping World is the ability to touch something before buying it. My dealer has an on-line store ( http://www.grandviewtrailersales.com/id10.html) and I like to look at stuff there, get a price, and then go to Camping World to touch it and see if it is really what I want. Sometimes, I find Ken (my dealer) has better prices, sometimes I talk myself out of a product, and sometimes I just make the purchase at Camping World. I saved over $100 on my cover there!
Old 11-30-2008, 05:48 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I bought the Extend-A-While DELUXE propane kit from Camping World for $79. You can get it for less than $100 anywhere else.

I also walked into the Seffner, FL Camping World and they had a huge stack of Cobra Mobile CBs with Soundtracker radios for $49. I bought one and that price can't be approached.

You can get bargains from Camping World if you shop them wisely.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:15 AM   #10

A1RVTech - - - I am happy you understand takin' it on the chin - - I just said I had several bad experiences (expensive) not a rant like yours. Seems I am not the only unhappy forme CW customer. And I did get the response I was expecting from 5 of the seven responses - - and yes, I wanted to see if was Me or others were having the same experience.

Denny

Old 11-30-2008, 06:32 AM   #11
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by A1RvTech:
Let' see. I had a bad experience at Wal-Mart, Sears, Home Depot, Target, Auto Zone, the gas station and my bank in the past year. I think I will start a thread seeing if I can find others to share their bad experiences.

I find it more productive to seek out "people" within these types of organizations and make the effort to develop personal relationships with them. I smile when I see them, I tell them when they are doing a good job and I say thanks often.

It's amazing the kind of personal service I get when I go back the next time. I don't expect to pay the lowest price in town every time I buy something. Service does come at a higher cost.

Camping World has nice, clean facilities, a good selection of items, and people with a willingness to help. Sometimes you have to wait your turn for someone to assist you or have them order a part that is not in stock but we can't expect them to have every part for every accessory ever put on an RV.

Yes, we all have bad experiences but what's the point in complaining all the time. I suggest we all spend more time trying to make life more pleasant. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree 100%. I will on occassion order stuff from CW's website when I denote good sale prices. They have always been prompt in their shipping and the employees were courteous.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:40 AM   #12
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Folks, making references to each other is prohibited by iRV2's rules.

Members are free to express their opinions, and other members are free to disagree with those opinions.

Thank you.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:40 AM   #13
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Denny Day:
A1RVTech - - - I am happy you understand takin' it on the chin - - I just said I had several bad experiences (expensive) not a rant like yours. Seems I am not the only unhappy forme CW customer. And I did get the response I was expecting from 5 of the seven responses - - and yes, I wanted to see if was Me or others were having the same experience.

Denny </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the past, (2001) we purchased a new Sandpiper 5th wheel from a dealer in Ks and had nothing but trouble from the getgo. I attempted numerous times to get remedies from the dealer and even sent (3) E-Mails to Forest River at the time. The dealer wanted to argue and FR never answered my E-Mails.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:02 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Like all businesses CW has their place, in the RV marketplace. There is value to their existence or they would go out of business. I have been a customer of CW (only after market items and supplies) for 30 years. I buy from them when the price is right or when I need the item right then and there. There is value to having a large chain of stores, easy to find and with a large stock of merchandise. My President's Club membership has always paid for itself. There is a lot to be said for and against any large corporation. CW has always been there for me, when I needed something. For me, I wish them continued success.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote