Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2022, 04:31 AM   #1

Camping world taking advantage of first time owners?

I got an email solicitation from CW a week or so ago. They are recommending services at ridiculous intervals.
The worst one was bearing repacks every 90 days.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2022, 05:26 AM   #2

Typical dealer issues, not limited to RV’s. Took my Jeep to local dealer for routine maintenance. They told me is was time for this, that do be done. Looked in the manual and none of it was due, not even close. Buyer beware.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 05:37 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with WT, many dealers of all types, and often service providers in general, are often suggesting that things need doing that really don't. I'm not a fan of Camping World service departments, but we can't single them out on this one.
Old 12-08-2022, 05:52 AM   #4

I’d guess it’s not much different than car dealerships. The real money they make is through the service dept not sales
Old 12-08-2022, 05:57 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
Agreed, they are all like that. You should have seen what Mercedes wanted to charge me for additional 'needed services' on my Entegra when I took it in for State Inspection and a software update recall...

I think I'm capable of topping off DEF and torque tightening lug nuts.

Owners just need to be careful when they have their rigs in the shop, and know when to say 'NO'..
Old 12-08-2022, 07:52 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Buyer beware. My auto my dealer want me to service my auto at haly the interval the manufactur says it should be done.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 08:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Typical dealer issues, not limited to RV’s. Took my Jeep to local dealer for routine maintenance. They told me is was time for this, that do be done. Looked in the manual and none of it was due, not even close. Buyer beware.
I think most of this bad advice coming out of dealerships is poorly trained new techs or either high pressure by management to increase revenue.

I bought a new tractor and when we were going over the purchase, the salesman told me the break in engine oil needed to be changed at 50 hours. I said that we’d probably have to change it the following week because we use it a lot.

I looked in the owners manual and it said to check the oil at 50 hours and change it at 600 hours. We just need to read the book.
Country Road is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 08:13 AM   #8

Another "Gotcha" service is at most "Jiffy Lube" type of service facilities. They want you in there every 3,000 miles for an oil change, which was a practice used 40-50 years ago, while many newer engines recommend 7500 mile intervals. More frequent oil changes is not a big deal but it is a waste of money and natural resources.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 08:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
The worst one was bearing repacks every 90 days.
Maybe the way CW repacks bearings it should be done every 90 days.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 08:26 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Let’s not lose sight of the fact that CW is a crap company undeserving of anyone’s business. Yes, they absolutely take advantage of first time buyers coming and going.

Here’s a business opportunity for an aspiring entrepreneur: Portable showers near the exit of each CW dealership.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 08:29 AM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy View Post
maybe the way cw repacks bearings it should be done every 90 days.
ding ding ding!!! We have a winner!!!!
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 08:55 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Ignore rv dealer ads for service intervals and instead follow the motorhome chassis and trailer service intervals.
Old 12-08-2022, 10:27 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
... Yes, they absolutely take advantage of first-time buyers coming and going...
What you are saying is the first-time buyers havent done their homework. Any information a first-time buyer could want is out there, all they have to do is look for it. A good example is forums like this one, but it seems that a lot of first-time buyers only come to forums like this one after the fact instead of before the fact.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:36 AM   #14

CW does this to more than first time buyers. Every time you take your unit in, they want to push every service under the sun.

BTW, I must have the odd dealers for my truck and trailer. I take my truck to the Chevy dealer where I bought it and never had them suggest any other unneeded service. Trailer was bought a small independent dealer and once a year it goes back for safety inspection and warranty inspection. I actually to tell them if I want something done beyond the inspections.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, camping world