Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2021, 08:08 AM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As a fellow mt biker you can’t be too protective of bikes that cost sev thousand dollars. Your two bikes depending on parts are probably between 5k to 10k. Someone saw you with the bikes and waited. I own several very expensive bikes, including a couple Ibis’. Mine are locked in my garage at home and I have an alarm system. When traveling they never leave the inside of my p/u’s camper shell unless I’m going riding. When traveling they are chain locked to the truck bed, my truck also has an alarm. I also often take off the front wheels and bring them in the trailer with me at night.

On a side note if you use apps like Strava to track your rides be sure you set it up so it doesn’t show where your staying or where you live.
CNPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2021, 08:09 AM   #16

Thieves, scum of the earth. Too bad nobody can ever catch these pieces of s--t in the act and set them straight.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
Why in the world would you think the park has any responsibility?
It's a shame our world has come to this, but high end bikes are worth more to thieves now than generators. Look on the local Craigs List but they are probably already sold.
Hope you find them.
I did not say the park were responsible, let me make that very clear.
We're both upset and some compassion or a human touch dealing with the theft would go a long way.
j7ols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:38 AM   #18

Oh man, that sucks. A couple of years ago we had my Wife's Julianna and my Son's Trek Remedy 7 stollen off the back of your travel trailer. Our whole family are big cyclist's, We have 7 high end road and mtn bikes. This led us to get a Class A toy hauler (Thor Outlaw). Now all our bikes are safely tucked inside with us.
Hope you can replace your Evil! I have a Wreckoning.
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:07 AM   #19

What? No one has a GPS tracker on their bike? Y'know, just in case they get past your Kryptonite lock and 130 dB alarm.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:10 AM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller806 View Post
You might want consider something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one on my motorcycle. It might not stop a thief, but at least you know someone is messing with your bike.
That's a great idea! I had no idea there was such a thing out there! Thanks for the tip!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:44 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7ols View Post
Sad to say it's happened to us...
Bikes 'securely' double locked to outdoor furniture and parked under our bedroom slide out with dog with us in bed. Didn't hear a thing as they snipped the locks and moved the table and chairs...

We're staying at Santa Fe Skies in NM. Very pleasant area, we'd planned to extend our stay as there is so much to do here.
Bikes were very distinctive higher end, Evil - Following and an Ibis - DV9, both 29ers.

Just posting to make people aware that just locking them twice isn't enough.

Also, if anyone sees them, please let me know. The tire and footprint trail didn't go towards the exterior fence of the RV park, it came inwards. I cannot bring myself to think a fellow RV'r stole them, but it's possible.
Jools
There has been a shortage of bikes since the pandemic started. They are easy to steal and easy to sell.

If a thief wants the bike they can do it. This is popular in large cities.

https://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2...-bike-thieves/

If you have the time you might want to brows used bike shops and on line sales sites in your are. Google your bikes.
PS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:57 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7ols View Post
I did not say the park were responsible, let me make that very clear.

We're both upset and some compassion or a human touch dealing with the theft would go a long way.

Sorry you got ripped off and it is too bad the park can’t be more compassionate, but I think with the nature of people being so litigious these days they stay mum in the hopes of not doing anything that implies they might be liable.

It’s sad as a majority of us don’t look for a payday when something happens to us.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:09 AM   #23

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
We stayed in that park a couple of weeks ago. They passed out flyers with their literature showing the park layout. Specifically, they noted that there has been reports of bike thief in the area and advised against leaving anything out that might get stolen.

We also like to bike but are getting more hesitant to bringing them along for the risk of getting ripped off.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:49 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had my locked bike stolen from my back door of our house in Palm Desert in a gated community. Filed the police report, got a case number. The following weekend, we were at the flea market in Indio where we found my bike for sale. Called the police, they were already on-site so were very quick to attend my location. The guy selling my bike was arrested and charged with possession of stolen property and I got my bike back....... so all of this to say, check the local flea markets because thieves & druggies will convert to cash as fast as they can. They don't want your property they want a fix!
Old 04-02-2021, 02:15 PM   #25

The thing is...these are increasingly desperate times, for many desperate people. Too many with no food, money, or a place to live.

Not a good time to leave anything outside of your RV. Especially something like expensive bicycles....chained and locked up....or not. Way too tempting to someone that needs quick and easy cash.
Even in what could be considered a "good RV Park", in a "good" part of town.

We don't leave so much as a folding chair outside within view.
Not paranoia, just sensible and proactive these days.

Sure, we all long for a more trusting nature and some honesty in our society.
Sadly, that too often leads to heartbreak and disappointment when our loved and cherished belongings disappear.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:21 PM   #26

Maybe your dog needs hearing aids. Thieves are scum.
Erich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 02:41 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I'm embarrassed to say this about my state, but property crime is out of control in New Mexico. The thieves will steal anything they can, even if it isn't worth stealing.

Car theft is also out of control here, I guess things with wheels are popular targets
Old 04-02-2021, 02:51 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS505 View Post
I'm embarrassed to say this about my state, but property crime is out of control in New Mexico. The thieves will steal anything they can, even if it isn't worth stealing.

Car theft is also out of control here, I guess things with wheels are popular targets
Unfortunately, New Mexico is rated the worst state in crime in America, and it is really too bad.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote