Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2021, 10:36 AM   #71

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7ols View Post
Agreed, its clean, nice facilities and in a great location.
What they don't have is a handle on security, sympathy or concern for a theft on their property.
I'm a big boy, it's a nasty world out here but as a paying customer on their property I would've appreciated more dialogue than 'call the police'.
Maybe a call to see if there was anything they could do, visit us and the crime scene. Anything?
Be sure and note this on a review for this campground at https://www.campgroundreviews.com/
Texas Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2021, 10:49 AM   #72

As above most typical bike locks/chains won't even slow a thief down, the only real choice is to invest in a higher-end solution from Kryptonite or Abus (unfortunately in the $100+ range.) These cannot be cut with bolt cutters (however can still be defeated by a power grinder, but much less chance of someone resorting to something that in a campground.)

Thefts within campgrounds are usually not perpetrated by residents but rather outsiders. Unfortunately many theives have learned that there are a lot of good pickings in campgrounds, often secured with Walmart locks.
smiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:48 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7ols View Post
Sad to say it's happened to us...
Bikes 'securely' double locked to outdoor furniture and parked under our bedroom slide out with dog with us in bed. Didn't hear a thing as they snipped the locks and moved the table and chairs...

We're staying at Santa Fe Skies in NM. Very pleasant area, we'd planned to extend our stay as there is so much to do here.
Bikes were very distinctive higher end, Evil - Following and an Ibis - DV9, both 29ers.

Just posting to make people aware that just locking them twice isn't enough.

Also, if anyone sees them, please let me know. The tire and footprint trail didn't go towards the exterior fence of the RV park, it came inwards. I cannot bring myself to think a fellow RV'r stole them, but it's possible.
Jools
So sorry
Nothing worse than having things stolen. Especially when you don't know who the culprit is. On another note. Maybe you should look into another dog.
RobinDella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:02 PM   #74

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Etch your ID information

I purchased an etcher and etched my name onto my bikes and other items that might be stolen. If something is taken and I find it at another campsite I can prove that the item belongs to me and not to the thief. Fortunately I haven't needed to yet. If you etch and locate the item make sure you are accompanied by campground employees or preferably a police officer and take pictures.

Fellow campers have reported the theft of bikes, surge suppressors, grills, and more.
Old 04-09-2021, 04:41 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 716 View Post
I purchased an etcher and etched my name onto my bikes and other items that might be stolen.
Local police depts. sometimes do this project on a yearly schedule and registering it. Here are other ideas:

https://www.bikelockwiki.com/how-to-...-being-stolen/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:55 PM   #76

I have more than one of these and they work great you just place them where you wont them.

Any thing move you get alarm.

BUNKER HILL SECURITY
FROM HARBOR FREIGHT TOOLS
Wireless Security Alert System
Donít be caught off-guard...Wireless Security Alert System warns you that visitors are on their way to your door
$9.99
Jayco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:02 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco1 View Post
I have more than one of these and they work great you just place them where you wont them.

Any thing move you get alarm.

BUNKER HILL SECURITY
FROM HARBOR FREIGHT TOOLS
Wireless Security Alert System
Donít be caught off-guard...Wireless Security Alert System warns you that visitors are on their way to your door
$9.99

I sure like this and the price is great. I wonder if it would be going off all the time in a campground. Maybe the sensitivity can be adjusted but that might be asking too much for a $10 alarm. Or, maybe I can hang the motion detector somewhere pointing towards my generator or whatever.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:08 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottNelson View Post
Hi j7ols,

Surveillance cameras are pointless since the police won't do anything, even if they you have good footage of the thieves. And tracking is pretty useless as I don't want to try to take my bike back from the thieves once they have it.

Scott

That sure seems to be the truth. Seems like every week we see Ring camera videos showing someone taking something from a porch, etc. Full face and they don't care.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:02 AM   #79

Back again. A bolt cutter is one tool. But a portable battery powered grinder is over the top. And to think that a fellow camper wouldn't steal high end bikes? There's a reason I have a camper top on my pickup. Think the park owners or their employees wouldn't be involved?
6 months ago I left the storage area my RVs were stored at. After 10 years there. 4 of those years the security camera in the parking area never worked. And fence perimeter lights (sodium?) never worked. A new owner (from the Big Apple) bought the place and rent increased $15/month.
When the manager was locked out of a storage unit, her grinder cut through a lock in less than a minute. With little noise. Impressive as Hell.
By the way her son was/is using Meth. And she would sell unit contents at a local auction house.
Sam G.
homesteader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:18 AM   #80

Lduds

I use these little alert in several place's in a camping place. I have one pointed at my truck my Honda generator.

I even place one some distant from my camper to let me no if something moves around at night.

I use several at home also.
Jayco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:18 AM   #81

Just watched a Youtube video using a grinder to refresh my mind. The gentleman used the grinder and cut through the Armor chain twice in less than a minute. Then I noticed a torch setup in the background and remembered the portable I once had. No noise at all using a torch. ��
Happy trails. Stay safe.
Sam G.
homesteader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:17 PM   #82

Bicycle secuity

I bought a 1/2" case hardened chain, and 1/2" hardened lock, made in USA. Put the chain through a bicycle inner tube. and route it thru the wheels and frame. Then lock it to a bumper, light pole or something heavy and secure. OR...leave it sitting all by itself. Sit in the window with a good dart gun. (one of the old ones, with real darts) I won't say what to do when the d...thieves show up. JMHO MOMCAT
Old 04-10-2021, 03:36 PM   #83

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe not great for use in campgrounds... but this would probably scare them off!

https://www.independent.ie/videos/li...-34724328.html
Old 04-10-2021, 05:28 PM   #84

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We were camping at the privately run RV park in Grand Canyon Park South and had our ice chest stolen one night. Thinking it useless, I did not report the theft. Later the next day we went to the General Store to try and find a replacement ice chest. A park ranger was in the parking lot. I approached him and told him what had happened just so they would know that theft is a problem at the park. The Ranger explained that there were a lot of employees, from the various properties, and their families residing at the park. He thought roaming teenagers were probably at fault to get the beer in the chests. He rather insisted that I file a formal report which I did. We replaced the ice chest and moved on forgetting the incident. About 2 months later, after we arrived home from our trip, we received a letter from the park stating that they had found the ice chest thrown down a hill somewhere. Some time later we received a letter from Coconino County that they had juvenile(s) in custody for petty theft. They asked if we wanted to be involved in the sentencing process, to which I said yes. We ended up requesting that the perpetrator(s) be entered in a non punitive program which would help them make better decisions going forward. Who knew a stolen ice chest at a National Park in the middle of the night would have that kind of outcome.
Jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote