Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2022, 03:19 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
How recent?
5 yr ago. When you're 80 that's recent! What is your take on this practice since you worked in a RV park?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2022, 06:33 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Maybe that was how you & friends did it but that's was never the norm.

We've stayed along the Oregon coast in recent years in spring, summer, fall and got sites in the state parks without a reservation - Beverly Beach, Bullards Beach, Cape Blanco, Fort Stevens, Harris Beach. People didn't seem to be hoarding 15 sites.

Fort Stevens for a good 10 years .. sorry but many church groups , family groups etc all booked a week that way. We took a part of a loop as did others . Maybe not anymore as I no longer live there.
Old 10-02-2022, 02:43 PM   #59

I agree they paid for it they have the option to come or go and it will be eaiting for them when they return. If your not sure ask them when you see them!
drpaul78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2022, 02:45 PM   #60

RV Trip Wizard
Unoccupied sites not allowed

I just spent the weekend at a Thousand Trails park (my first time) and signs and rules make it clear sites must be occupied.

I get the fact that if you pay for a site its yours, but outside of a per diem charge for a site, I don't think its fair to prevent someone else from using a site.
garciamag is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2022, 02:51 PM   #61

Welcome to the modern world, where it's all about what's good for the individual and everyone else can pound sand.
RETPS is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2022, 02:53 PM   #62

Could be many reasons. I know in my neck of the woods, some sites must be booked in 1 week blocks during the opening of reservations. If you want one of those sites, even just for the weekend, you need to book 7 days. Others sites are seasonal, you go into a lottery and if picked, you get to choose your site for the whole may-September camping season.

Parks allow you to book your site for 21 days at a time without moving. If you get lucky and get a good spot in line, and you like a particular campground, you can book three or four 21 day blocks and leave your camper there. You only need to run the truck 4-5 times all summer and you can just run back and forth with the car. And whenever you have a day to enjoy your spot, it’s all there for you, wether it’s the long weekend or a Tuesday afternoon off.

Bottom line, if you want spots, you have to figure out what the booking is like in the area you are interested in and plan your camping season out when the booking opens for the year. I know it can be annoying, but with the demand these days, you simply can’t count on walk-in availability anyway.
Sgt_Dubie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2022, 02:55 PM   #63

Why didn’t I think of that

Sounds like sour grapes, ghee I’m not very smart.
F14man is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2022, 02:57 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I see this more and more, people booking a site, setting up and disappearing on Sunday afternoon only to reappear on the weekend. Leaving a prime site occupied with an RV but not being used, thus depriving someone else the use of the site.
We're currently at a COE campground in Illinois where this is happening. Waterfront lake sites. Part of the problem is the Senior Pass makes these sites so inexpensive that it's worth it to them to spend $45 for the week to have a guaranteed site for the weekend.
I'm not even sure it violates the rules as I couldn't find anything about sites must be occupied. It is however, annoying and incredibly selfish. It's abuse of the system and it's going to ruin it for the rest of us.
What are your thoughts on this?
What difference does that make? If they paid for it, who cares. The neighbors don’t have anyone looking in on them. I wish I had people like that on each side of me at every campground.
Old 10-02-2022, 03:04 PM   #65
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
THREAD WARNING!

Folks, some posts are getting a bit personal & confrontational. Watch your tone! Remember these Community Rules:
Quote:
Do not engage in personal attacks. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully.
Quote:
We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.
Play nice or move on.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2022, 03:09 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I see this more and more, people booking a site, setting up and disappearing on Sunday afternoon only to reappear on the weekend. Leaving a prime site occupied with an RV but not being used, thus depriving someone else the use of the site.
We're currently at a COE campground in Illinois where this is happening. Waterfront lake sites. Part of the problem is the Senior Pass makes these sites so inexpensive that it's worth it to them to spend $45 for the week to have a guaranteed site for the weekend.
I'm not even sure it violates the rules as I couldn't find anything about sites must be occupied. It is however, annoying and incredibly selfish. It's abuse of the system and it's going to ruin it for the rest of us.
What are your thoughts on this?
We recently booked a site for a month. We were gone probably two weeks of that time using our TOAD to tour the countryside, which included a Ferry Trip to another island. We had travel expenses while gone from the home campsite. I'm not sure every campsite you mention in your question is treated the way we used ours, but after taking four days to reach our month-long destination, we feel it was okay to come and go, just as we'd do from home.
AnchorsAweigh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2022, 03:16 PM   #67

Vacant sites make great neighbors!

I am with everyone who says if it's not breaking the rules, they can use it as much or as little as they want once they pay for it. I would definitely rather have fewer people in the campground and no one in the sites next to me than the alternative, which is super crowded campgrounds and loud partying neighbors!
partygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2022, 03:25 PM   #68

There are many legitimate examples of why someone would leave their rv un-attended for a few days. Why make more rules that make it difficult for someone to utilize their rv in the most effective way that suits them? You have no idea what their situation is, and it’s really none of your business as long as the current rules are followed.

In the future we plan to travel to other states and set up our DP as a base camp to, for example, take the side by side or 4wd into the wilderness and primitive camp a couple nights or hunt. That’s just one example.
Half of our drive or more is usually just getting out of Texas.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2022, 03:29 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Dubie View Post
I know in my neck of the woods, some sites must be booked in 1 week blocks during the opening of reservations. If you want one of those sites, even just for the weekend, you need to book 7 days. Others sites are seasonal, you go into a lottery and if picked, you get to choose your site for the whole may-September camping season.

Parks allow you to book your site for 21 days at a time without moving. If you get lucky and get a good spot in line, and you like a particular campground, you can book three or four 21 day blocks and leave your camper there. You only need to run the truck 4-5 times all summer and you can just run back and forth with the car. And whenever you have a day to enjoy your spot, it’s all there for you, wether it’s the long weekend or a Tuesday afternoon off.
Could you please share where your neck of the woods is located and the parks?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2022, 03:39 PM   #70

If there was room in the site, I’ve been known to squat right in their site. If they show up, no harm no foul. I pack up and leave.
StarsFanInCO is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
amps