Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2022, 05:09 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Campsite stakers.

I see this more and more, people booking a site, setting up and disappearing on Sunday afternoon only to reappear on the weekend. Leaving a prime site occupied with an RV but not being used, thus depriving someone else the use of the site.
We're currently at a COE campground in Illinois where this is happening. Waterfront lake sites. Part of the problem is the Senior Pass makes these sites so inexpensive that it's worth it to them to spend $45 for the week to have a guaranteed site for the weekend.
I'm not even sure it violates the rules as I couldn't find anything about sites must be occupied. It is however, annoying and incredibly selfish. It's abuse of the system and it's going to ruin it for the rest of us.
What are your thoughts on this?
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2022, 05:41 PM   #2

I agree. It's selfish. If not going to use it during the week, why reserve it? Are you sure it's reserved and they just placed their stuff on a first come site? If so, I believe that's not allowed at the Corp parks.

Isn't there a Corp office nearby to talk to about this? Or a Corp person?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2022, 05:49 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
They paid for it, they can use it however they want.
Old 09-27-2022, 05:49 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I agree. It's selfish. If not going to use it during the week, why reserve it? Are you sure it's reserved and they just placed their stuff on a first come site? If so, I believe that's not allowed at the Corp parks.

Isn't there a Corp office nearby to talk to about this? Or a Corp person?

All reservation-only sites here. I don't think the camp hosts enforce it and I have yet to see a ranger.
Maybe because it's off peak season no one cares? Still, it just doesn't seem right.
Old 09-27-2022, 06:07 PM   #5

We saw similar at Ives Run, a COE near Tioga, PA.

Sites have a post where your reservation ticket can be found. Some sites were ticketed and empty while others were occupied and seemingly abandoned. The camp host didn't seem to care one way or the other.

We found out it is common practice to reserve a number of sites in different areas of the park to get around the two week time limit. People would spend the entire season there moving around every two weeks.
Old 09-27-2022, 06:15 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Yep, selfish or not, they paid for the site. They can be on it or not.

A local park allowed people to book back to back to back weekends & they could leave the RV on the site for free during the week, unhooked of course. They even promoted it by offering a 10% discount for the 1st weekend, 15% discount for the 2nd & 20% for the 3rd. I took advantage of that offer at least 2x. Hogging a site? Maybe. I saw no problem, especially since the park encouraged it.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2022, 07:24 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Yep, selfish or not, they paid for the site. They can be on it or not.

A local park allowed people to book back to back to back weekends & they could leave the RV on the site for free during the week, unhooked of course. They even promoted it by offering a 10% discount for the 1st weekend, 15% discount for the 2nd & 20% for the 3rd. I took advantage of that offer at least 2x. Hogging a site? Maybe. I saw no problem, especially since the park encouraged it.

Privately owned park or public? A privately owned park can do what they want and live or die by their policies. A public park, not so much.
My opinion, this should not be allowed in public recreation areas/parks.
Old 09-27-2022, 08:42 PM   #8

If it were me I would try to find a Ranger or camp host and ask questions. Then see what kind of story you get. Might be a good reason why it is being done.
parcany2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2022, 09:02 PM   #9
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post

damn straight. It’s their money, the cg is collecting revenue, if they want to use it 4 out of 7 days, their choice.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2022, 09:06 PM   #10

If I were the camp host, and was showing a higher than average week to week occupancy with lower water, trash, and power cost, I doubt my bosses would be all that upset. DR
DR60 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2022, 09:33 PM   #11

We stayed at a state park in Kansas that was like this. Numerous sites with RVs but no occupants until the weekend. Found out people can buy a site for the season. Apparently it’s a limited number of sites that locals enter a lottery to get. While the park was never full during the week, some of these sites were among the more desirable.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2022, 05:29 AM   #12

Pretty common for private campgrounds to have mostly seasonal sites that get used mainly on weekends. They ususlly have some sites for transients. Why should people haul their RV's home after the weekend and back again the following weekend? Most of those lots would sit empty anyway.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2022, 08:21 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
It definitely depends on who owns the campground. For example, we were at Lee’s Ferry, an NPS campground on the Colorado River. Someone had gone through and put tickets on numerous sites for almost 2 weeks in the future, but it was a FCFS campground. We were confused and asked the campground host. They bristled out and pulled all the tags. They said they were going to talk to the ranger too, just to make sure there were no problems when the (inevitably irate) site hogger came in. As for COE parks with reservations, it definitely costs less to reserve a week well in advance to make sure you get the weekend, then change the reservation to just the weekend. One reservation change fee is less than 5 days, even at senior discount rates. It doesn’t make sense.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2022, 08:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
Here is a link to a pdf of the rules for COE parks around my area, east Texas.

Rules and regulations

One of the rules, section 327.7, states:
Quote:
c) The unauthorized placement of camping equipment or other items on a campsite and/or personal appearance at a campsite without daily occupancy for the purpose of reserving that campsite for future occupancy is prohibited.
Unfortunately, at least at a couple of COE parks we like to visit, these and other rules aren't enforced.

Tags
amps