Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2021, 11:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
Do you intend to change your own flats, or do you just want to carry it to have with you?
Friends on the safety of the situation but I do all maintenance/repairs on the RV so I have every intention of it. Nobody knows this thing better than I do at this point

Dave
TT_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2021, 12:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT_Vert View Post
Friends on the safety of the situation but I do all maintenance/repairs on the RV so I have every intention of it. Nobody knows this thing better than I do at this point

Dave
Would an 8 ton bottle jack be sufficient on any corner of a 14000 gvwr class C?

I think I may carry that just for the heck of it, and I have a 350 foot pound cordless impact wrench as well as breaker bars. Also have some heavy-duty three level leveling blocks that made that I could use as a jack pad. Maybe just in case for the times I'm away from cell service.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210822_110302.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	340467  
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 12:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Would an 8 ton bottle jack be sufficient on any corner of a 14000 gvwr class C?

I think I may carry that just for the heck of it, and I have a 350 foot pound cordless impact wrench as well as breaker bars. Also have some heavy-duty three level leveling blocks that made that I could use as a jack pad. Maybe just in case for the times I'm away from cell service.
I cannot read the specs of that jack from my phone but any single corner in my 10k RV isn't going to be much more than 3500. (Edit, I saved/blew up pic, 8ton is more than enough for any class A RV I've seen). Probably a 60/40 front bias actually so close to 4k over back axle or 2k per corner. I think a 2 ton jack would be the bare minimum id use at any corner of my 10k RV. With that said I hate bottle jacks. Slow and unstable at times.

13500 I'd figure ~7500 up front and ~6500 in back. So each corner would be half of that. You're more than fine with that jack. I just am super paranoid about bottle jacks tipping or slipping off their jacking point.

As an aside, I just found a local place that mounted my tire for $22 including disposal fee of old tire. Not bad.. I was about two shops from going out and buying a tire machine and a nice balancer. For years I talked myself out of it but at the price these places have started to charge for the this I was over 125 for a set of four just to mount and balance. Fifteen sets of 4 and I would break even. I just didn't want more equipment I need to get rid of when I decide to sell this place

Dave
TT_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 12:48 PM   #18

Quote:
I cannot read the specs of that jack from my phone but any single corner in my 10k RV isn't going to be much more than 3500. (Edit, I saved/blew up pic, 8ton is more than enough for any class A RV I've seen). Probably a 60/40 front bias actually so close to 4k over back axle or 2k per corner. I think a 2 ton jack would be the bare minimum id use at any corner of my 10k RV. With that said I hate bottle jacks. Slow and unstable at times.

13500 I'd figure 7500 up front and 6500 in back. So each corner would be half of that. You're more than fine with that jack. I just am super paranoid about bottle jacks tipping or slipping off their jacking point.

As an aside, I just find a local place that just mounted my tire for $22 including disposal fee of old tire. Not bad.. I was about to tries from going out and buying a tire machine and a nice balance. For years I talked myself out of it but at the price these places have started to charge for the this I was over 125 for a set of for just to mount and balance. Fifteen sets of 4 and I would break even. I just didn't want more equipment I need to get rid of when I decide to sell this place

Dave
It reads 8 tons on the label, I actually have two and neither of them would lift one corner of the front. Probably just need fluid, I'll check that out. I just don't want to carry a floor jack, too big and too heavy, but I do have good 6-ton jack stands.

Congratulations on getting that thing changed out for only 22 bucks!
Old 08-22-2021, 12:56 PM   #19

If it's low on fluid it's got a leaking seal. Tread lightly there. Once you find the source of the leak and fix it bleed the air from it. I cannot see an 8ton jack having a problem lifting one corner of a class A. Full disclosure, I've never tried it.
Old 08-22-2021, 01:15 PM   #20

Quote:
If it's low on fluid it's got a leaking seal. Tread lightly there. Once you find the source of the leak and fix it bleed the air from it. I cannot see an 8ton jack having a problem lifting one corner of a class A. Full disclosure, I've never tried it.
From what I understand these seal with ball bearing, they don't have o rings. They are very old jacks but they're good. I'm going to pick up some hydraulic fluid and see if I can get them going, also bleed the air from the system.

With the wheels chocked and a 6 ton jack stand under it after I get it jacked up, I wouldn't worry too much.

Just decided that it doesn't hurt to be prepared just in case. If I'm out at Joshua Tree where there is no cell service, it would be better to attempt this myself, and I'm a mechanical and trade person so I know how to be careful. Carrying a bottle jack, jack stand and cordless impact gun isn't too much weight.

But in general, I would call to have it changed if I have cell service.
Old 08-22-2021, 01:21 PM   #21

Yeah so long as you're not under it without a jack stand you'll be good. My curiosity had gotten the battery of me so I need to research this ball bearing thing. I cannot see ball bearing ever sealing fluid but I'm going to find out. There is usually a metal check ball of some sort but that's all I ever knew of .

Dave
Old 08-22-2021, 01:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Yeah so long as you're not under it without a jack stand you'll be good. My curiosity had gotten the battery of me so I need to research this ball bearing thing. I cannot see ball bearing ever sealing fluid but I'm going to find out. There is usually a metal check ball of some sort but that's all I ever knew of .

Dave
It's some kind of check ball with a spring. I'm not sure exactly what it's made of. I watched a video and he said if it leaks, it might be because it's pitted. I haven't checked it out yet, but I'll make sure it's working well before I carry it in the motorhome.

I would not be under the motor home unless I had a jack stand on it, or the wheel.
Old 08-22-2021, 01:57 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Up where I live they look at the date code. If 10 years old they will not mount. I had a friend try to mount a 10 year old never used tire.

The tire shop said there is to much liability being tire experts that installed an out of date tire.

But why would you want to mount a tire that is aged out as a spare. You want a dependable tire for a spare
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 02:21 PM   #24

Quote:
It's some kind of check ball with a spring. I'm not sure exactly what it's made of. I watched a video and he said if it leaks, it might be because it's pitted. I haven't checked it out yet, but I'll make sure it's working well before I carry it in the motorhome.

I would not be under the motor home unless I had a jack stand on it, or the wheel.
Yeah that's just a check ball. There still should be seals on the shaft and pumping mechanism. The check ball is to prevent the jack from leaking down. As you pump it sends fluid into the cylinder raising it and it cannot reverse to allow the jack to come back down. I'm not a jack expert so maybe this particular jack is different.

Dave
Old 08-22-2021, 02:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
Up where I live they look at the date code. If 10 years old they will not mount. I had a friend try to mount a 10 year old never used tire.

The tire shop said there is to much liability be tire experts.

But why would you want to mount a tire that is aged out as a spare. You want a dependable tire for a spare
Yep, I fully understand it and I don't blame them.

Dave
Old 08-22-2021, 02:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Yeah that's just a check ball. There still should be seals on the shaft and pumping mechanism. The check ball is to prevent the jack from leaking down. As you pump it sends fluid into the cylinder raising it and it cannot reverse to allow the jack to come back down. I'm not a jack expert so maybe this particular jack is different.

Dave
Turns out it just had air in the wrong spots. I saw a video that said pump them all the way up, then open the valve and push them down and that will push the air out. The first time I pushed it would skip several times. After I did it twice it pushes down really evenly, and I was able to get the tire completely off the ground, and get a jack stand on the frame.

Important to make sure the bottle jack remains vertical as you jack it up. If it starts going sideways it could shoot out. Also never put your fingers between the jack stand and the frame. With this one I just push up the inner portion from underneath, and it ratchets in place.

After I had the stand up to the frame, I released the jack just enough that it was resting on the stand. At that point I could safely remove the tire if I wanted to. Then I just jacked it up enough that I could drop the jack stand support, took it out, and released the motorhome back to the ground.

By the way I removed the jack's rubber oil plug and it has plenty of oil in it, and it's clear. No leaks at all on the outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210822_132336.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	340494   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210822_134824.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	340495  

Old 08-22-2021, 03:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Turns out it just had air in the wrong spots. I saw a video that said pump them all the way up, then open the valve and push them down and that will push the air out. The first time I pushed it would skip several times. After I did it twice it pushes down really evenly, and I was able to get the tire completely off the ground, and get a jack stand on the frame.

Important to make sure the bottle jack remains vertical as you jack it up. If it starts going sideways it could shoot out. Also never put your fingers between the jack stand and the frame. With this one I just push up the inner portion from underneath, and it ratchets in place.

After I had the stand up to the frame, I released the jack just enough that it was resting on the stand. At that point I could safely remove the tire if I wanted to. Then I just jacked it up enough that I could drop the jack stand support, took it out, and released the motorhome back to the ground.

By the way I removed the jack's rubber oil plug and it has plenty of oil in it, and it's clear. No leaks at all on the outside.
Glad to hear you have it working. What do you think your 8 ton bottle jack weighs? DO you carry 4 jackstands with you?
Old 08-22-2021, 03:53 PM   #28

Quote:
Glad to hear you have it working. What do you think your 8 ton bottle jack weighs? DO you carry 4 jackstands with you?
The jack weighs 13 pounds, and I only need one jack stand ( it's probably 15 to 20 lb) Not planning to change out all the tires at the same time anytime soon

Tags
tire