Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2018, 07:06 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Can I borrow your motorh...NO!

So far this year, it's a 25-year-old cousin who wants to borrow the motorhome for a two-week honeymoon, family acquaintances who want to live in it for July and August with their 4 kids (ages 2 to 9) while the husband works a contract job out of town, the parents of one of our son's friends who want to take it to their family reunion 1000 miles away, and a neighbor who wants to park it on his property and let his family use the kitchen and bathroom during their family homestead gathering.

No. No. No. And, no.

I give them all a pass because none have ever owned or used anything more than 20-year-old popup campers, so they really have no concept of what it takes to drive, live in, and maintain a 40 foot Diesel pusher. Nor do they understand the personal financial and time investment that we have in our coach. But it always takes a deep breath and a moment of "recentering" to keep myself from saying, "What makes you think that asking to borrow our motorhome is even remotely appropriate? I would literally give you one of my kidneys before I'd let you borrow my motorhome!"

And, that's true. I really would give them a kidney before I let them borrow the motorhome!

If our insurance would allow it (which they don't), there are two people I would loan the motorhome to . . . but they both own similar motorhomes and, therefore, know that it would never be appropriate to ask!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2018, 07:09 PM   #2

Good answer!....lol
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:11 PM   #3

I have a policy that if you can't write me a check for it, you don't get to borrow it. I have pointed relatives to the rental companies....
Old 06-12-2018, 07:15 PM   #4

If I did loan it, I don't know where they'd sleep because the dogs and I have already claimed the bedroom and the bathroom and we ain't vacating for anyone.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:19 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
I have a policy that if you can't write me a check for it, you don't get to borrow it. I have pointed relatives to the rental companies....
An excellent policy!

I did point the first three to the rental companies. Two reacted with shock at the "expensive" price of a small Class C and thought it was a ridiculous amount of money. Note that both asked to "borrow" ours, not "pay you a fair and equitable amount to use it".

The family who wanted to take it to their reunion probably will rent one. They are very interested in buying one and took our "No" answer very earnestly and openly.

For the neighbor who wanted it for the kitchen and bathroom, I suggested he rent a Portapotty and offered to loan him my 10' popup canopy tent and a couple of tables. Looks like that's what he'll do.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:29 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
well if folks didnt get the impression you "might" do it... they wouldnt be asking.

All due respect... you say you invested money in your coach. That is not an appropriate adverb. Wasted money would be better...haha

Also you are emotionally attached to an inanimate object to react they way you posted.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:53 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
well if folks didnt get the impression you "might" do it... they wouldnt be asking.

All due respect... you say you invested money in your coach. That is not an appropriate adverb. Wasted money would be better...haha

Also you are emotionally attached to an inanimate object to react they way you posted.
I'm glad they think I might say yes - I think that's because I'm quite happy to either loan out or lend a hand with almost everything else I own.

And, yup. Definitely a personal investment in time and money. Not in the physical motorhome (you're right - that's a money pit), but in the life experiences that the motorhome makes possible for my young family. It's a financial loss, but one of the best investments I've ever made!

Emotionally attached? Not in an anthropomorphized way. It doesn't have a name and I don't think it has a personality. But it's something that makes very valuable experiences possible and that we use at least 1 night out of 3 from April through December. I absolutely LOVE the places it takes us.

In fact, I'm typing this after a great day in Montreal with my young sons as we take a week to travel to a business commitment on the East coast. Pre-motorhome, I would have flown out and back, completely missing this kind of opportunity. So, yes, I have great emotional association with the motorhome and what it makes possible.

If we didn't have that kind of emotional fulfillment, we would have sold it quickly and invested the opportunity costs (of money, but - especially - time) in something else.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:57 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Voiceninja,

I agree 100 %. No one I know would have the audacity to even ask that request of me.

If you did lend it and something went wrong, just think how bad they would feel. Anyone who would ask could not possibly know or understand how complex these machines are and how much knowledge it takes to operate it.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:35 PM   #9

I second your NOs for sure No one is ever getting our rv
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiceNinja View Post
I'm glad they think I might say yes - I think that's because I'm quite happy to either loan out or lend a hand with almost everything else I own.

And, yup. Definitely a personal investment in time and money. Not in the physical motorhome (you're right - that's a money pit), but in the life experiences that the motorhome makes possible for my young family. It's a financial loss, but one of the best investments I've ever made!

Emotionally attached? Not in an anthropomorphized way. It doesn't have a name and I don't think it has a personality. But it's something that makes very valuable experiences possible and that we use at least 1 night out of 3 from April through December. I absolutely LOVE the places it takes us.

In fact, I'm typing this after a great day in Montreal with my young sons as we take a week to travel to a business commitment on the East coast. Pre-motorhome, I would have flown out and back, completely missing this kind of opportunity. So, yes, I have great emotional association with the motorhome and what it makes possible.

If we didn't have that kind of emotional fulfillment, we would have sold it quickly and invested the opportunity costs (of money, but - especially - time) in something else.
I think you summed up the feelings most of us have about our units.

We, too, recognize that this was not a good financial investment, but one for our family in which memories are the return. And we waited a long time to get one. I can't simply hand over the hitch and keys.
Oct Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:19 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Can I have a kidney? Never know when you might need a spare.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:14 AM   #12

I might let a close friend or relative use my motorhome at a stationary location, but that is it. Such as offering to drive it over to my sister in laws house, so my other sister in law and her daughter could stay in it while in town over the holidays. As far as loaning it out to someone to take on a trip, no way.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:35 AM   #13

I would NEVER even entertain the thought of asking a friend or relative to borrow something like a RV. Heck, I don't want to borrow anything that's breakable. It would be just my luck that the time I borrowed said breakable item would be the time it was going to break no matter who used it. Then, it's on me to replace or fix it. I just happened to be the poor sucker who used it at the end of its life.

I'm 100% with you on this. No way, no how!!!
Old 06-13-2018, 06:45 AM   #14

I learned the hard way a long time ago and stick by the rule that if it has a motor, I don't lend it out. If someone needs to borrow it, I go with it.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote