Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2018, 03:53 PM   #15

He's going to have to return to Canada from the U.S. so he should be up on Canada's, too.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2018, 05:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
It's under his name that he is from Barhead, Alberta, but then I know him from another forum.

That doesn’t show up on my phone using Tapatalk, so I did not know. 🤢
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:50 PM   #17

did you mean 'Whitecourt, Alberta, Canada' as on his signature? been there... on the way to Alaska, of course: )

hmmmm... did the op mean that going 'into' Alaska is somehow 'on the way' to Dawson City, Yukon??? I don't think so. He must be planning on going 'out of the way'!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
did you mean 'Whitecourt, Alberta, Canada' as on his signature? been there... on the way to Alaska, of course: )

hmmmm... did the op mean that going 'into' Alaska is somehow 'on the way' to Dawson City, Yukon??? I don't think so. He must be planning on going 'out of the way'!
Yer Right... The memory is the third thing to go,
But Ken, when you say "small shotgun" are you talking gauge or barrel length? Yes, size can be important.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:56 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher003 View Post
We went round trip from Florida to Alaska through Canada last summer and took a Remington 870 Tactical Express 12 gauge without any problem at all. As previously said, get on the Canadian BP web site and do some good research, fill out the Canadian Firearm Declaration Form in-line and print it out. Do NOT sign it because the CBP has to witness you signing it. Make sure your firearm meets their requirements for barrel length, etc. When we pulled up to the CBP agent at Sweetgrass, MT we rolled the windows down on his side of the truck and took our sunglasses off. He asked for our passports and as I handed them to him I told him I had a firearm in the trailer. He asked if it was a handgun and I said no. After a few more non-firearm related questions he told me where to park and to go inside with the form and my passport, but NOT the firearm. A very nice BP agent inside had me sign the form and had me take a seat while he went off to check me out on the computer. It is my understanding the Canadian system is tied to the US system. A few minutes later he came out, signed and dated the form and asked me how I was transporting it. I truthfully told him it had a cable lock through the receiver, unloaded of course, in a case and stored under a dinette seat. He said I was good to go and to pay the cashier $25 CDN. The signed form serves as a 60 day temporary firearm license. When you fill out the form check “In Transit”. They will ask you how long you plan to be transiting Canada. I think I told them 7-10 days. They may ask other questions like why are you taking a firearm, so have a good reason, like target shooting. Do NOT say self-defense or protection from bears. When we got to the Alaska US BP I also advised him I had a firearm when he asked. He wanted to see the signed Canadian form (shows you brought it from the US to start with). It was the same coming back into Canada and the US lower 48 on the way home. They just asked to see the form. BTW, my shotgun never left where I had it stored. That was our experience. Yours could be different, of course. Now the Counter Assault “Bear” spray was frequently close at hand, although never used either. If you have any other questions let me know.
This is one of the best posts I've read on this issue. Thanks.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:34 AM   #20

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Go to an official Canadian web site for this kind of information. It's not something to ask on a forum.
The OP is a Canadian. From what I see is he is travling from Canada to Alaska.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:40 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
guns into Alaska

thanks guys..i phoned the crossing at Beavercreek Yukon where we where planning on staying for most of our holiday. the guy said NO to any guns unless we are going to a target shoot ,or I am licenced to carry .I told him I have all proper Canadian gun permits.doesnt matter. so we wont bother.like Mr Powell said. Trudy can stick em with the pitchfork.
and to clear things up. we did live in Barrhead when first joined this group. now live in Whitecourt.

we changed our mind about going to Alaska in the big Motorhome. its too scary to drive ,wanders too bad for us. so we bought a smaller 21 FT C Class Dodge power,,fixed it all up and took for trail run ..nope. gets worse mileage than the big Diesal and it wanders just as bad.Sold it. so Motel and and a new tent with inflatable mattrass is plan now.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:53 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
carry gun into Alaska

we arnt going this yr.was asked by ex bosses son to work for him like I did for his Dad the last 8 yrs. sandblasting and painting for Pembina Pipelines. I make more in 4 months than all yr as a self employed mechanic. we did buy and sell 3 pull type older travel trailer this summer. made enough profit to fix up the Motorhome; new frt tires last week. now for a steering box.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:32 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
I had no problem going to Canada with a shotgun. As posted earlier you fill the form and sign it at the custom office. I told them it was for protection from wildlife in northern woods. They thought it was a good reason since one of the agents there had recently came from a fishing trip and he was told by the locals to keep a firearm near when up in the woods.

They will do a search to verify the firarm is legal and not stolen. The same coming back into the states.... The US customs agent provided me with a certification that the firearm # passed a search and verified it belongs to me. This will speed up crossing the border by about 1/2 hr!