Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2015, 09:26 PM   #1

Can I clean the black tank without using the water regulator

Hello Friends! Well I continue to love the new way of life being a first time MH owner and cannot wait to retire in a couple of years to do this almost full time!! I have a question. I have been using the water regulator evertime I connect to water and I have also used it when cleaning the black tank, my question should I continue to use the regulator even when cleaning the black tank or only use it when running all of the inside coach water. My mind is telling me not to use it in the black tank because the stronger the water goes in to the black tank the better the tank will be clean!!! Please advise on this matter. Thank You!!
Grandcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2015, 09:43 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't use the regulator when flushing the black tank. As you said, want full pressure for flushing. Even though there is an anti-sphion valve to prevent cross contamination, I don't use the fresh water hose for flushing.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:28 PM   #3

You don't need to use a water pressure regulator on the Black Tank rinse connection. Basically it is like a sprinkler system and sprays water in the tank to help flush it out, so the more pressure the better. Just don't leave your valve closed very long while doing this, you could back everything up thru your vents/toilets if you overfill it under pressure. Like mentioned I don't use my drinking water hose on that connection either. I carry an extra garden hose to hook up to the Black tank rinse connection.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:39 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I always install a "Y" connector on the campground hose bib. Regulator goes on one side and wash out hose or garden hose on the other.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
I always install a "Y" connector on the campground hose bib. Regulator goes on one side and wash out hose or garden hose on the other.
X2 on this setup.
Always keep a regular pressure hose around for general purpose. No regulator for black flush.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:14 AM   #6

The tank valve is supposed to remain open when flushing.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
The tank valve is supposed to remain open when flushing.
True, but that is just a CYA for the manufacturer. If you have a tank that isn't very full but you want to add water to get a good flush, you can keep the valve closed to let it fill a little. They post that as a warning for the person who turns it on with the valve closed and then forgets its on, until they start seeing water come up through the toilets or roof vent.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:44 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two answers... normally.. YES.

I have been in two parks wher water pressure was in the triple digit range,,,, Well into it (11x psi)

That's enough to blow a hose up Daffy Duck style.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:48 PM   #9

I use one too. The fittings and tubes for that connection are not stronger than the fittings used for the rest of my water system, so no reason to think they can withstand higher pressures.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:46 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
The "Y" connection is the answer to continue protection of the coach water system and maximize water PSI to the black tank flush mechanism.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:55 AM   #11

Black Tank

Thanks for all of the answers! I do you a regular garden hose for the black tank and use the white hose for the water that we use inside. I have also bought a Y connector and will be using this next time I'm at the camp ground. OK now I'm a little confused!!! Some of you are using the regulator and some are not! So to be safe I should be using the regulator incase the park I'm stayin has a high water pressure correct? I guess everyone might have a different answer for this question.
Grandcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:08 AM   #12

Although I use a regulator, I've never heard of someone having issues while not using one with the black tank flush.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:18 PM   #13

Use the regulator at all times, there is plenty of pressure and no chance of blowing a hose. The flusher on mine is on top of the tank and easily accessible. When it clogged up I removed it, cleaned it and drilled larger holes as instructed on this forum. After dumping I close the valve and let water run for a couple minutes and then open the valve again, doing this until water comes out clear (need a clear coupler).
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:35 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I disagree with those stating that you need a regulator for the black tank cleanout hose connection. The reason a pressure regulator is needed in the RV's normal water system is that full system pressure is felt on all components of the system whenever no water is flowing. If the pressure if higher than the RV is designed for, you can have leaks and damage. Why RV manufacturers don't design the piping and fixtures to the same standards as home plumbing when they are going to be connected to the same water system is beyond me.

However the blacktank rinse connection and piping will never see full water system pressure because the pipe is open to atmospheric pressure inside the black tank. (This applies in most RVs that do NOT have a valve controlling this spray. If the flow can be shut off somewhere on the RV you need the regulator I've seen one with a diverter valve that sends the flow to either the grey or black tank, but not a shutoff).

I would encourage anyone who is worried about it to check with the manufacturer, but I don't use one and don't believe it is needed.

I also bought a much more expensive regulator for our RV's normal water connection. The off-the-shelf cheapy regulators are usually set at 45 PSIG which is needed for a lot of cheap travel trailers. Our Monaco DP is designed for 100 PSIG water pressure and the devil-toilet (my name for the lovely Thetford Aria Deluxe II electronic POS toilet) and shower do not work well on 45 PSI. I keep the pressure set at about 90 PSIG.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water