Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2016, 09:31 AM   #1

Can I get propane hose so Coleman grill will hook to trailer quick-release?

I got a nice small coleman grill that runs on the camper-sized coleman propane bottles, but I want to hook it up to my external quick-release propane connection on the back of my trailer.

Is there a hose that I can use to connect this thing, or am I barking up the wrong tree here?
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2016, 09:40 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Yes

propane extension hose
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:46 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Is your external connection upstream or down stream of your trailer's propane regulator?

Does your grill have a regulator?

If your external connection is downstream and your grill has a regulator you will end up with an extremely low flame in the grill, will take forever to cook your food.

If the external connection is upstream from your trailer's propane regulator leave the grill regulator attached.

If your external connection is down stream from your trailer's propane regulator then you will need to remove the regulator from your grill.

I had the local propane store build me a hose that connected to my grill with out using the grill's regulator. I took the grill in and they made up the hose and fittings I needed. I wanted a hose that was a bit longer than standard off the shelf hoses.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:51 AM   #4

Regulator is at the grill, so I just need the conversion hose. Think I found one. It is described as

"used for connecting a small portable camping appliance such as a grill, heater, or lantern to a Female Quick Disconnect permanently attached to the RV piping system. Replaces a disposable 1# propane bottle. "

Just need to find one locally, since I have no permanent address.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:56 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
Regulator is at the grill, so I just need the conversion hose. Think I found one. It is described as

"used for connecting a small portable camping appliance such as a grill, heater, or lantern to a Female Quick Disconnect permanently attached to the RV piping system. Replaces a disposable 1# propane bottle. "

Just need to find one locally, since I have no permanent address.
Sounds right assuming your external connection is upstream of your trailer's regulator, otherwise you will be passing through two regulators and have an insufficient flow of gas to the grill.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:10 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here is what you need:
Camco RV Propane 3-Port Brass Tee with 12' Hose - Walmart.com

I put one on my Motorhome and it works great No more little bottles. You have to put it on before the regulator for the rest of your unit.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:20 AM   #7

Cool! I will see if I can find it at Walmart, or a local propane store.

I am pretty sure the quick release line is unregulated, since the grill that came with the trailer has its own regulator. I left it in storage, because it was too big to put in my storage bin.

The coleman one is really thin, maybe 4 or 5" thick when closed.

The stock one was about 14" thick.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:40 PM   #8
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
Regulator is at the grill, so I just need the conversion hose...
Most quick disconnects are on the low pressure side of the regulator. If the regulator is at the grill, you need a high pressure hose to the upstream (high pressure) side of the regulator. Otherwise, you will have 2 regulators in the stream which usually doesn't work well.

You can either eliminate the regulator at the grill and use your low pressure quick disconnect or install kit like this one from Camco. The TEE goes before your existing regulator, and the opposite end of the hose connects directly to the regulator on the grill.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:57 AM   #9

Well, I got the hose assembled from three different parts, and ended up with 12' extension, and realized, as mentioned in previous post(s), that the pressure IS regulated prior to the quick disconnect. So I will need to bypass that regulator on the grill.

Should be easy, but it is Sunday on a holiday weekend, so finding the parts in the next few days will be hit or miss.

BUT...I still have one more small 1lb canister, AND it will run off the big bottles, now, as well, so I have plenty of gas to get through the grilling of this July 4th weekend!
Old 07-15-2016, 03:26 PM   #10

I am back, still not working.

I am having to take one of the 20 lb propane tanks off the front of the trailer, and haul it back to the grill, and it works fine that way.

But the grill IS regulated, and so is my quick-released port at the back of the trailer, so I need to bypass the regulator at the new grill.

I can pull the nozzle out of the regulator (threaded nipple in the picture) and blow through the regulator hose without any restriction, which makes me think I can bypass the regulator by drilling out the hole in the tip of this nozzle. This is the part that screws into the 1lb bottles, and is currently screwed into my 12' propane hose between the bottle and the grill.

Any feedback yea or nay? It seems that the spongy "filter" in the tip of this nozzle is the regulator, and I cannot take the nozzle out, because it pushes in the valve in the next portion of the hose allowing it all to flow.

But if drilling it out will "bypass" the regulator, while still activating that valve, I am set!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160715_132253.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	367.2 KB
ID:	133159  
Old 07-15-2016, 03:30 PM   #11

My other option (less desired) is to find where the quick-release line is connected AFTER the regulator, and re-route it so that it is attached BEFORE the regulator, and this might be the easier of the two routes...
Old 07-15-2016, 07:12 PM   #12

I'm going to sound like an ass but if you are asking these questions you shouldn't be messing with gas.
leeshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeshearer View Post
I'm going to sound like an ass but if you are asking these questions you shouldn't be messing with gas.
I wouldn't be, if someone readily made what I need without me having to stick together $150 worth of parts.

I doubt I am the first person to be trying to do this, and in fact, have seen many of these grills hooked to the quick release on the trailers.

I would have been WAY happier if I could have got the entire assembly in one piece, for way less money.

It is also a bit harder to do this when I am traveling, and staying in one town for only a couple days, and then moving on before I get a chance to finish what I am doing.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:18 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Buy a new tee.

Install it between the rv regulator and the propane tank.

Move the current extension from the existing tee to the new tee.

Now unregulated pressure on the extension

about $35 or less.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane