Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2016, 06:17 AM   #1

Can I use Surge Guard TEST button to cut power to my trailer, during hookup?

Currently, I go inside and trip the main 30A breaker before I plug or unplug into hot shore power, because I sometimes see sparks at the box if I plugged in without killing the trailer first at the main breaker.

If I use the TEST button on my Surge Guard, as the main 30A, rather than the one inside the trailer, would this wear out my Surge Guard? It is basically a GFCI button, do they wear out with excessive tripping?

It would prevent me from having to go into the trailer twice every time I hook up or unhook shore power. And it is RIGHT THERE at the power pole.

Of course, many RV park power poles have a MAIN breaker right there at the pole, in which case I wouldn't have to do this. But some poles, especially domestic ones, like where I park and plug at home while not traveling, or if we park at a friends house for the weekend, don't have it on the pole, but way back at the breaker box.
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2016, 07:09 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I'd recommend you place a call to Surge Guard and see what they have to say.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
I'd recommend you place a call to Surge Guard and see what they have to say.
Just did that. Of course, nobody answers the phone anymore, so I had to do it via email.

Let's see how long it takes for them to respond...
Old 04-16-2016, 06:18 AM   #4

No reply from the dealer, yet, but found this while searching the intarwebs...

1 Plug the Surge Guard Model 44740 into an approved
120V/30A RV power receptacle.
2 Press and release the reset button. Verify that the Green
light is visible.* This indicates power is available to the RV.
3 Press the test button. Verify that the Green light is not
visible.
4 Press and release the reset button. Verify that the Green
light is visible.
5  Power is available. Operate equipment in your RV normally.

http://trci.net/media/68213/44740%20...0revg)_web.pdf

Which suggests to use the TEST and RESET buttons each time I hook the trailer up, so that kinda answers my question. Since step #2 is "press RESET button" immediately after plugging in to shore power, then I can assume that TEST was hit prior to it being unplugged the last time, so that just reinforces that TEST can be used to power down, and RESET to power back up.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:55 AM   #5

A suggestion though...

Try to be sure high current loads are OFF.

There are lots of descriptors for many types of load controls or switches and this can be confusing.

A light switch is a load control while a circuit breaker is a overload disconnect.

This means that the light switch is designed to switch a load on and off so it can be used consistently for this.

A circuit breaker is designed to open up when the load exceeds a certian amount but NOT designed to be used as a switch to control that load.

Many folks turn off breakers before connecting or disconnecting shore power which is fine but if ac is running then they are switching a 15 amp load with something not designed for this and this wears out the breaker then it later pops early.

Your device may be same.

Be sure loads are off first.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
A suggestion though...

Try to be sure high current loads are OFF.

There are lots of descriptors for many types of load controls or switches and this can be confusing.

A light switch is a load control while a circuit breaker is a overload disconnect.

This means that the light switch is designed to switch a load on and off so it can be used consistently for this.

A circuit breaker is designed to open up when the load exceeds a certian amount but NOT designed to be used as a switch to control that load.

Many folks turn off breakers before connecting or disconnecting shore power which is fine but if ac is running then they are switching a 15 amp load with something not designed for this and this wears out the breaker then it later pops early.

Your device may be same.

Be sure loads are off first.
Yes, we turn everything off first. Might accidentally leave an LED light on, but definitely not A/C or microwave or anything like that. By the time I hit the TEST button, we will already have the slides in, everything battened down, and ready to pull out other than putting the shore power line away.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:01 AM   #7

Surge Guard never did return my email...
Old 04-21-2016, 09:56 PM   #8

I always turn the power pedestal breaker off prior to plugging in the RV cord, and prior to unplugging. It prevents "accidents" and makes the RV plug last longer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, surge guard, test