RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2020, 07:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie Jim View Post
I was going to use vinyl plank flooring in my TT to replace the original linoleum.
I decided not to because of the huge temperature swing here in Minnesota.
I've put LVP in unheated cabins, trailers, and RVs here in Minnesota and have encountered no problems with the expansion/contraction issue. If it floats, and you allow for the expansion gap along the outside edge, it works fine. Remember, the underlying material expands and contracts, too.

Just don't hit it with a hammer at -20.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2020, 09:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
I've put LVP in unheated cabins, trailers, and RVs here in Minnesota and have encountered no problems with the expansion/contraction issue. If it floats, and you allow for the expansion gap along the outside edge, it works fine. Remember, the underlying material expands and contracts, too.

Just don't hit it with a hammer at -20.
Is there a particular brand that you’ve been using?
TMyers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMyers17 View Post
Is there a particular brand that you’ve been using?
All over the map on brands. My only semi-rule is, don't buy the cheapest stuff (unless it's normally the good stuff on a great sale.)

Old 09-29-2020, 05:37 PM   #18

So a few here had said to install silicone around the gap end to keep water out and keep tiles better together. We where thinking of doing this right before we install the moldings... seems like a good idea.
1995 Gulfstream Yellowstone Capri wide body, (W6293ZH). Chassis: 1994 E350, 460CID, Fed emissions, 4 speed w/od trans, 4:10 gears. 71K miles.
kctrading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
Leave the 1/4" gap around the outside as per the directions, and then fill that gap in with a thick bead of clear silicone. It will seal against wet stuff getting in under the flooring, and it will be elastic enough to take up expansion (while also exerting a force compressing the flooring so as to avoid gaps forming in the interior.)
i wouldn't do this. the clear silicone is going to stop the contraction of the laminate and cause it to pull apart and leave gaps in the floor.
best to use a molding of some kind and do not press it down tight to the laminate. use a thin piece of card board or thick paper to create a gap between the molding and the laminate. pull the card board out when finished.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
i wouldn't do this. the clear silicone is going to stop the contraction of the laminate and cause it to pull apart and leave gaps in the floor.
YMMV, I suppose, but I've not had a problem such as this in the several RV's and cabins in which I've installed LVP here in MN with -30 to 110 degree temp swings.

And you'll thank me when your kid spills milk on the floor along the edge and the silicone keeps it from wicking underneath and causing awful smells for weeks.

Old 10-01-2020, 10:09 AM   #21

I agree...it will stretch.
1995 Gulfstream Yellowstone Capri wide body, (W6293ZH). Chassis: 1994 E350, 460CID, Fed emissions, 4 speed w/od trans, 4:10 gears. 71K miles.
kctrading is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adhesive, floor, vinyl