Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2019, 10:21 AM   #1

Can someone tell me the flaw in my plan?

I really want larger "feet" on my landing gear. I think the stock feet need more meat to them for stability. I've looked at the Lippert feet and they get mixed reviews.

So my grand idea is to buy 9" solid steel discs, with recessed holes for flat head bolts to go through and mount to the stock feet. This would enable me to use "Snap Pads" or the Anderson buckets. Both of which I really like.

My real concern was the weight hurting the jacks, but the discs are only 4.5 pounds so I think it should be fine since people are using pretty similar set ups weight wise.

So what am I missing? Please remember I'm new, so be gentle.

ThanksClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190208-100012_DuckDuckGo.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	234464Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190208-100047_Amazon.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	234465Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190208-095842_DuckDuckGo.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	234466Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190208-101101_Amazon.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	234467Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190208-101030_Amazon.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	234468
lucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 10:40 AM   #2

There is nothing wrong with your solution.

The problem is your solution lacks a problem. If you are still going to use blocks or buckets you have not advantaged yourself. Putting blocks under the standard feet or larger feet is still putting pads under feet.

Now if you invented automatic blocks, that would be something
Old 02-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #3

We have a Bigfoot leveling system. I always liked having the extra foot surface to support so much weight.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:01 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I agree that placing larger feet would help with stability. Good point about placing them on blocks and such, diminishing returns in that case.

I have no concerns about the weight of your blocks idea, those jacks can lift 1000 lbs or more. A 4 pound weight on them is going to have no effect.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
There is nothing wrong with your solution.

The problem is your solution lacks a problem. If you are still going to use blocks or buckets you have not advantaged yourself. Putting blocks under the standard feet or larger feet is still putting pads under feet.

Now if you invented automatic blocks, that would be something
True, but I like the pads for the stabilizing aspects and the buckets to relieve stress on the jacks by having a shorter distance to extend .

To my thinking bigger is better when it comes to stabilization.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
I agree that placing larger feet would help with stability. Good point about placing them on blocks and such, diminishing returns in that case.

I have no concerns about the weight of your blocks idea, those jacks can lift 1000 lbs or more. A 4 pound weight on them is going to have no effect.
Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:35 AM   #7

If stability means keeping the legs from sinking in the ground your plan will work just fine. If you are expecting the bigger pads to reduce the shaking in the rig you are wasting time and money.
00 Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:36 AM   #8

JT Strongarms would also help stabilize.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:42 AM   #9

I don't see any advantage over just having larger blocks to put under them. That's what cranes do. I put blocks under my jacks on my motorhome if the ground conditions warrant it. On hard packed surfaces, bigger footprint is not required.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #10

I've found that the less I extend my leveling jacks the more stable the platform. It's extending those skinny jack legs out a couple of feet that contribute to the wobble more than the size of the pad foot print. The pad size just keeps me from pushing the jacks into the ground.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:49 PM   #11

If this helps, but I use 2"x8" treated wood cut to 2' lengths. Each one had a nylon rope in the form of a handle at the ends forming a quick to reach and grab.. up jacks and gone!! I've used these on cement or in the yard of my parents when I visited. My unit is shy of 19,000 pounds fully loaded and no issues. This way the actual center point of the jack is spread over the 2x8 (192 inches). It was cheap!!
lrgomez1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post

The effect will be plain when he or DW has to shorten/lengthen the bottom leg when they are already tired from a long travel day; assuming the leg must be adjusted.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:06 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you camp on soft ground on a regular basis, you probably need something to keep you from sinking. If you camp on firm ground, just leave the jacks alone. If you have a stability issue, add the JT Strongarms, they work well and are inexpensive.

I go camping to relax, sightsee and get away from the daily grind. It NEVER ceases to amaze me when I see people put all kinds of pads under their RV's when parked on firm ground. You'll see some old guy down on his knees stacking all this wood under the jacks, spending 20 minutes or more. Keep it simple!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1320 View Post
I really want larger "feet" on my landing gear. I think the stock feet need more meat to them for stability. I've looked at the Lippert feet and they get mixed reviews.

So my grand idea is to buy 9" solid steel discs, with recessed holes for flat head bolts to go through and mount to the stock feet. This would enable me to use "Snap Pads" or the Anderson buckets. Both of which I really like.

My real concern was the weight hurting the jacks, but the discs are only 4.5 pounds so I think it should be fine since people are using pretty similar set ups weight wise.

So what am I missing? Please remember I'm new, so be gentle.

ThanksAttachment 234464Attachment 234465Attachment 234466Attachment 234467Attachment 234468
Hi Lucky,

Just wanted to make you aware that those LCI landing feet replacements you have displayed on your post actually come with an attachment or 'knuckle'. If you look closely you can see them in the picture. Those will allow you to simply pull the pin on your current landing pads, line up your new LCI feet and and install them via the same pin. Easy peasy and no added steel plate necessary.
From there, if you so choose, you could easily install SnapPads on your new LCI feet.

Hope that helps.
RV SnapPad is offline   Reply With Quote