Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2020, 03:09 PM   #1

Question Can your lines cause smelly water?

A couple of weeks ago, I posted that I thought we had a problem with the toilet releasing odors when flushed. Then, we noticed when we ran water in the sinks the same odor. I have checked the air-admittance valves and those seem fine.

After experimenting and eliminating possibilities, I have realized it's simply the water. We are on campground (well) water 100% of the time. If I fill the toilet with water without letting it flush, the smell is there. If I run water into the sink while it's plugged, the smell is there. If I run water into a bowl, it's there. If I go out outside to the tap and run water directly into a bucket, the smell is NOT THERE! I have changed the water filter cartridge but that hasn't helped.

Once I realized that the water was the culprit and not the tanks, I remembered that a few weeks back, I had some water left over in my storage tank from when we left Florida. I should've just dumped that but instead, I used it until the tank ran out, then switched back over to well water.

My question is, could there have been something in that water that contaminated my interior plumbing and caused this odor to be ongoing, even after hundreds of gallons running through it? I know how to clean the system with bleach but wanted to hear if anyone else has ever had this problem simply from one bad batch of water going through their lines. If it helps, we NEVER drink the water; we only use it for external purposes like showering, washing dishes, and toilets.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2020, 03:31 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You could have introduced some bacteria from Florida in the water. Especially if the odor resembles sulfur. How long was the water in the tank?

Best thing to do would be to sanitize the fresh water system completely. Remove all of the old water and flush it thru all the pipes and faucets. I let it sit overnight to be sure all the bacteria have been wiped out.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

There is a microbe that thrives in the water heater tank and gives a "rotten egg" sort of smell. It's not harmful, but it IS unpleasant. Once its been around awhile, it gets into the rest of the lines and enough survives to make a bit of odor in the cold lines too. You have to sanitize the entire system to get rid of it completely.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:07 PM   #4

You don't need a bacterial culprit some water is just smelly, locals will usually call it 'sulfur water' and the odor is from Hydrogen Sulfide. I suggest a trip to the cg bathroom, plug a sink up and run water into the sink...smells the same?

The low concentration of hydrogen sulfide is not harmful. I can be removed but your average campground owner isn't going to foot the bill to do the aeration.

And any water supply in Florida that serves the public, like a campground, is stringently monitored on a frequent basis by the FDEP--Florida Dept of Environmental Protection, incidentally the same dept that runs the state parks. And any contamination of one of thsoe sources would be caught fixed ASAP or that source would be shut down. If the campground uses city water then the monitoring is even tougher (larger number of people served), for example the periodically monitor for 126 organic pollutants, they continuously look for bacteria and viruses. The fines are large and the FDEP inspectors have their sense of humor removed when they are hired.

If it sounds like I had professional knowledge of the FDEP that would be correct. We had a shelf of books 4 feet across that had their regulations in it and those were only the ones that pertained to our industry. We had a full time engineer monitoring all this.

Other states have similar regulatory agencies and over all of them is the USEPA which is breathing down all their necks.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:09 PM   #5

The hot water heater can cause a rotten egg smell.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:52 PM   #6

OK, thanks everyone! Sanitize, it is!!! Now, to find a convenient time when I can let it sit for 12 hours.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:25 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
The hot water heater can cause a rotten egg smell.
Yes if on well water,but all you have to do is remove the anoroid and the sulphur smell is gone.
Lived 18 years on an acreage with well water, removed the anoroid never had a problem.
I replaced one water tank in 10 years only because I thought it was time.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lambert View Post
Yes if on well water,but all you have to do is remove the anoroid and the sulphur smell is gone.
Lived 18 years on an acreage with well water, removed the anoroid never had a problem.
I replaced one water tank in 10 years only because I thought it was time.
The smell is much more prevalent with cold than hot. I'm more inclined to believe I contaminated my lines, somehow. Silly of me to run that old water through the system; should've just dumped it.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:54 PM   #9

Try replacing your input water hose. They can build up mold if put away wet.
fpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 02:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpresto View Post
Try replacing your input water hose. They can build up mold if put away wet.
Gosh, I hope that's not it. It's practically brand new!

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2020, 07:36 PM   #11

Thumbs up Resolved (I think!)

OK, had a chance today to sanitize the system. Did everything according to the instructions found on a helpful video from RV Geeks. Discovered Fleetwood was kind enough to put the hot water bypass right in my kitchen with a simple 90-degree shutoff valve! That made things a little simpler. All the sinks, toilet, shower smell like new again!

We'll see how long this lasts! At least I know the process, now. Again, THANK YOU to all who offered helpful hints. I'll do my best to pay them forward.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:45 AM   #12

Purogene

This stuff works....

https://www.bayteccontainers.com/purogene-water-treatment.html
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell, water