Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2019, 07:40 PM   #169

frequent border crosser

I have never had a problem with the Canadian side of the border. They just need to be assured you have no guns!

Biggest problem I ever had was getting back into the USA. We had some home-grown tomatoes in the RV fridge and we did not use them all up during our Canadian sojourn. US Customs wanted us to get rid of them, even after we assured the agent that they were bona fide American tomatoes that had never left the RV. Big to-do resulted! We won and went home with our tomatoes, but we were warned never to try to bring tomatoes into the USA again.

Bottom line; you never know when some customs official will get a bee in his/her bonnet and decide to give you a hassle.
JohnnyT88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2019, 07:52 AM   #170

Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
I think you left something out.

I have been crossing the border once or twice a year for 15 years. I am a CCW permit holder and they always ask if I am carrying a firearm....never do when traveling to Canada.

But, during hunting season I declare 2 shotguns and ammo. Form is filled out ahead of time and I go inside and pay the $25 fee. Never an issue.

50% of our crossings are in a motor home or towing a trailer. Searched once, and it took them 20 min to go thru our Class C....on the American side.

A case of beer in Canada cost over $50.....We always bring beer or liquor( one case or bottle per person). Always have cigars, or a carton of cigs for Canadian friends ....never an issue.

There is more to your story.....please enlighten us, because I simply do not believe it as stated.
It doesn't matter if you believe me or not. That is what happened. To this day, I think it was because we were "entered" into the database for bringing the shotgun legally, and the fact that I told them during the "20 questions", that I was a gun collector and owned pistols, at the Montreal crossing they were CONVINCED I was hiding a firearm. Eastern Canada agents are MUCH MORE militant about firearms than the Western ones. We had NO guns at the Quebec crossing, but they were on a mission. Bottom line is I got the money back after 14 months. They KNEW that was a bullshit way to treat someone.
Cuttymeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:34 PM   #171

Outdoors RV Owners Club
East, west, makes no difference. You're on record that you had brought a shotgun across before, you're on record you're a gun collector and owned pistols, AND you're on record you argued with them enough to escalate it. Yup they were on a mission and gave you a message. Later, fourteen months later, you got another message.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:07 PM   #172

Bring your guns lock them in a bus locker or safety deposit box on this side of the border and pick them up on the way back. Easy peasy.
Dana Anderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:24 AM   #173

We live just outside Detroit and cross the border into Canada and back twice a year, going to Western New York for a motorcycle rally. More often than not we get pulled into Canadian customs for inspection , every time they completely empty my saddlebags and camping trailer we pull. The last time at the Peace bridge they found a speedloader loaded with .38 spl rounds that I forgot was in the tourpack, they never said a word about it, but asked several times if we had any firearms.

While we we interrogated at the customs station I asked why I'm continually pulled in for inspection and their reply was that I was flagged because of an incident that happened while I was a teenager back in the 70's ! Charges were never brought against me but the records were still in a U.S. government database that comes up when they scan my enhanced drivers license. (No, it wasn't firearm or drug related).

The Canadian customs agents are always friendly and are just doing their job. I just plan for our bi-annual visit with them. Always ends with Have a nice day and enjoy your time in Canada.
Ragtop69GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:54 PM   #174

Following
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop69GS View Post
We live just outside Detroit and cross the border into Canada and back twice a year, going to Western New York for a motorcycle rally. More often than not we get pulled into Canadian customs for inspection , every time they completely empty my saddlebags and camping trailer we pull. The last time at the Peace bridge they found a speedloader loaded with .38 spl rounds that I forgot was in the tourpack, they never said a word about it, but asked several times if we had any firearms.

While we we interrogated at the customs station I asked why I'm continually pulled in for inspection and their reply was that I was flagged because of an incident that happened while I was a teenager back in the 70's ! Charges were never brought against me but the records were still in a U.S. government database that comes up when they scan my enhanced drivers license. (No, it wasn't firearm or drug related).

The Canadian customs agents are always friendly and are just doing their job. I just plan for our bi-annual visit with them. Always ends with Have a nice day and enjoy your time in Canada.
JimmyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:08 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyT88 View Post

Biggest problem I ever had was getting back into the USA. We had some home-grown tomatoes in the RV fridge and we did not use them all up during our Canadian sojourn. US Customs wanted us to get rid of them, even after we assured the agent that they were bona fide American tomatoes that had never left the RV. Big to-do resulted! We won and went home with our tomatoes
You put up a big stink at the border over a few Tomatoes ???
I wouldn't say you won, maybe just LUCKY...

I cross over yearly.
2018 Forest River 2851SLE "Forester" E-450 Class C , Sumo Springs bump stops Front & Rear, Hellwig Sway Bars Front & Rear, Bilstein HD shocks front & rear, Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer, alignment set to +5 caster. (that's it, out of $$$)
riverforest is offline   Reply With Quote