Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2019, 07:09 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by winningbagel View Post
The last time we went into Canada was late 1970’s (going to Nova Scotia/PEI) and possibly early 1980’s (going shopping in Toronto, from Buffalo).
In 2019, it sounds like I might get “The Spanish Inquisition” or might not.
Just want to go to Alaska.
The only way to get there w/o unpleasantness is to put the RV on a ferry from Seattle, correct?
Frank & Christine
I went to Alaska last summer, crossing into Canada three times - once just NE of Glacier NP, once 80 miles ENE of Tok, AK and once into Thunder Bay in the NE corner of Minnesota (prescription refill). I had no plans other than Alaska and all the way east across Canada to the east coast. Being from Colorado, the one common question was about guns - No, I don't have any, they aren't welcome here. "If we search, will we find ammo?" Me - I sure hope not. "Ok, bye."

Coming back into the States was fairly noneventful except into Minnesota, the BP wanted to look in my fridge.
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #58

Similar to wingnut I had this experience.

We get the the crossing, Female friend is driving, I am in the passenger seat, my wife is in the rear. We stop and hand over our passports. The BG asks a few normal questions of the driver.

Then he leans down and looks straight at me and says "Do you have a concealed weapons permit?"
I say "Yes".

"Do you have it with you?"
"No". I said.

"Pull up to that gentleman and follow instructions" He said curtly.

So we pull up and are told to get out of the vehicle and proceed inside.

We stayed in the waiting room for about an hour. Were called up to the desk individually, made to surrender our phones and any password to open them. I was made to lift my shirt and turn around while being covered by two officers. After about an hour total we were told we can proceed to our vehicle. When we got out phones back all three were logged into our Verizon accounts. The vehicle had been obviously searched through every corner.

I did not lie about the CWP because I know that information is shared even though it is expressly forbidden to be. I am convinced he knew before he even asked me.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #59

….wondering why folks are complaining or surprised when entering a country. Better safe than sorry. We are their guests.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:47 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
….wondering why folks are complaining or surprised when entering a country. Better safe than sorry. We are their guests.

I don't think anyone is complaining, they just need to be physically and mentally prepared for an inspection which can happen during any border crossing. Usually, the most trying experiences are during the crossing back into the home country.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:48 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Well said!
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:27 AM   #62

Sounds like the best thing for me to do is to find a way to mail my shotgun & cell phone to myself while in the lower 48, so I can pick them up when entering Alaska. I have a CWP, so expect to be targeted.
Also wondering about cash. I want to take enough to pay for the trip, but cash possessed by travelers can be confiscated in the USA under the Civil Asset Forfeiture Laws. Does Canada also do this?
Too bad American Express travelers checks are no longer an option, worked great for me in the 1980’s.
winningbagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:21 AM   #63

Aren't you allowed to bring up to $10,000 in cash into the USA? At least that is the amount the customs cards always ask about when entering the USA.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:42 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by winningbagel View Post
Sounds like the best thing for me to do is to find a way to mail my shotgun & cell phone to myself while in the lower 48, so I can pick them up when entering Alaska. I have a CWP, so expect to be targeted.
Also wondering about cash. I want to take enough to pay for the trip, but cash possessed by travelers can be confiscated in the USA under the Civil Asset Forfeiture Laws. Does Canada also do this?
Too bad American Express travelers checks are no longer an option, worked great for me in the 1980’s.
Bring a bit of cash for the peanut vending machines and use your credit card for everything else. Better yet fly directly to Alaska with whatever you're allowed to carry so you don't have to fret.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:53 AM   #65

You are not limited to the amount of cash you can bring into Canada as long as you declare anything over $10,000.00.
You will not be taxed or fined and it will not be confiscated.
If you do not declare amounts over $10K and get caught, that is when the red lights go off and your day takes a bad turn.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:49 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
It was a few years ago and we had no problems.
They asked our children if they were there on their own free will.
Made the trip up to Montreal and crossed back and forth across the border to stock up on beer and gas.
That's to avoid human trafficking. You know that they are your kids but do they know that they are your kids? They can even go so far as to pull them aside to ask them but typically it's to gauge responses and determine how they need to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubirose View Post
As a Canadian, I find it annoying when an American tries to bring a gun into Canada and says I need it for protection. I assume since we are on a camping website that you will be travelling to RV parks, boondocking and general sightseeing, not in downtown big city Canada, in the middle of the night, where even I would not go. Canada in general, is a very safe country. I've been to the US a few times and have never felt unsafe, but in the back of my mind I did wonder how many people I would see on any given day, had a concealed weapon on them. I don't think that way up here. Must be stressful to have that in mind all the time. My little rant, and apologies if I offended anyone.
Guns aren't just for use in cities. The last time I looked, Canada is the second largest country in the world with vast wilderness areas. There's a lot of predators (bears, cats, wolverines, etc.) in places that someone in an RV might want to go. Cities in Canada might be relatively safer than the U.S. but the rest of the country is generally a lot wilder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve skare View Post
As a Canadian travelling to the US. We need a Passport, proof that we have money, Limited amount of wine and beer cigarettes. We also are required to have passports for kids. same for Canada. Sometimes times Canadian Customs will want to see the inside of your RV. This has happened to us going back home. NO illegal drugs, and of course no firearms. As you know we do not carry guns, there is no need. Where we live there is no need to lock your doors if you are gone for a day. Have a good time. There is a lot of wilderness up in Northern Ontario, and RV parks.
This is true for U.S. citizens as well or anyone travelling to a foreign country. The reason is that they want to make sure that you are just visiting and not planning on becoming a ward of the state and will return to your home country.

I think folks just need to remember you're entering a foreign country and they have different laws. You're not crossing into another state/province. The border agent needs to ensure that you're not a threat or will be an "unruly" visitor. To do that they will ask different questions and even give different attitudes to try an elicit a response from you to make a determination. No two crossings are the same which is why you see so many different experiences crossing the border. Like others have said, just follow the current rules/laws and you'll be fine and bring documentation!
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:57 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
Or an enhanced driver's license, which is only available in NY, MI, MN, VT, and WA.

I cross every year towing a sailboat with cabin. Never got more than a few questions and some penetrating stares. Though one time the Canadian border agent asked if I had any "bar stock". Total vapor lock on my part, as for the last 40 years as an engineer, bar stock means metal rounds, squares, rectangles, and other shapes in long lengths. DW leaned over and said no, we don't have any booze. Doh!

She still dines out on that one.

I always got a lot more scrutiny coming back to the US. And be sure to use the truck or RV lanes at the border, as the radiation detectors are high there. The last trip I took, I think over the Peace Bridge coming back, I sat behind the trucks in the right of two lanes for the entire length of the bridge, only to find out that I could have zipped over the bridge in the left lane along with all the cars and still used the left-most lane with the high detector gate, marked "RV's", as trucks aren't allowed in that one, and their lanes were all back up. I'd recommend eyeballing the border barriers you intend to use with Google maps or something like it, so you know what to expect and where to go.

I hate to tell you but the Enhanced Drivers License is available here in Arkansas also, I have had one for a couple of years now. since it is in full effect now I assume it is available in all states
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:49 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
I hate to tell you but the Enhanced Drivers License is available here in Arkansas also, I have had one for a couple of years now. since it is in full effect now I assume it is available in all states
I think you're thinking of federal REAL ID licenses, which have a star in the corner, and which all States are supposed to offer. They can be used to board an aircraft for domestic flights, and enter federal buildings and nuke plants and such, but they can't be used for land or water travel to Canada or Mexico or a few islands off the east coast in lieu of a passport.

An enhanced license has an American flag in the corner, and serves as both REAL ID and a passport card of sorts in limited circumstances. States bordering Canada are the only ones that seem to have it, though I bring a passport whenever I drive into Canada anyway.

Here's the NY version, with pictures halfway down the page.

https://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/federal-real-id
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:19 AM   #69

If you are going to travel in Canada, check with your CC and debit card providers about their foreign transaction fees. We went to a Subway and the cost was $10 CN with no discount using US cash. The debit card cost was less than $7, with no fees and gave us the current exchange rate.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:40 PM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
While I have never taken my RV into Canada, I take my boat there twice every year fishing, sometimes 3 or more times. We normally take all 3 dogs and we cross at the Peace Bridge. In 30 years of doing this I have never been pulled over for additional search going either direction. Time of day, politeness and precise, direct answers to questions asked are key to both directions. When asked about alcohol the answer is no - because we buy ours in Canada.

Follow the rules and things normally go smooth. Get smart with a border agent and you will regret it.

I travel all over the world for business and pleasure and have passed thru customs and Immigration in many countries. I also hunt internationally and have brought firearms into Canada, Turkey, Serbia, Romania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Kazakstan and Russia on more than one occasion - every country has their own rules. Follow them and all is well. I hold a Canadian Firearms card (yes, Americans can have them) as I hunt in Canada fairly often.

I have never had an issue transiting the border of any country. The tightest security has always been Israel

Have Global Entry DOES help when coming back into the US.

One note - other posters have noted this as well: When you are sitting on the Peace Bridge you are in NO MANS LAND and neither country has to allow you in!

Polite, professional, understand & follow the rules, always answer honestly and never offer any information not specifically ask for! The best answer is YES or NO....
smp005 is offline   Reply With Quote