Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2021, 01:03 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Canadian Snowbirds Beware

So perhaps some of you already know this but I have learned today.

From my insurance broker Wayfarer in Ontario. Aviva now has a zero tolerance policy on Care and Control when you take your RV into the US.
Once in the US you have a 6 month limit where the unit must be returned Canada AND new this year you cannot leave the unit in US during that time.
You cannot fly home for Xmas or anywhere else for that matter for more than a day. Should the RV be damaged in your absence any claims are void.

Just passing on the information.
stv_szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2021, 01:10 PM   #2

Thanks for posting that .

Nasty change in coverage ; so if you're trying to save on travel medical by flying back to Canada, to reset a multi use plan , you can loose on vehicle insurance .

Going to have to contact my insurer .
Old 07-22-2021, 02:42 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Thanks for posting that .

Nasty change in coverage ; so if you're trying to save on travel medical by flying back to Canada, to reset a multi use plan , you can loose on vehicle insurance .

Going to have to contact my insurer .
Well I guess you could go back to Canada and leave your partner behind. When you return they could go back to Canada for a brief stay. Someone on the policy has to be with the RV for "Care and Control". I would
confirm that one though.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:41 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Where did you see this info?
Old 07-24-2021, 12:35 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Where did you see this info?
This information was given to me verbally by the insurance agent. I have requested the specifics in writing and will post them once received.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:46 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Been through this with our new trailer. Broker found insurance with Gore Mutual that covers the trailer when we fly home for Christmas.
wumaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:24 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Correction

After requesting this information in writing I have discovered it applies to travel trailers not coaches. See below for the response.

"You advised me that she mentioned care, custody and control and I incorrectly assumed that you were referring to a Travel Trailer policy. I apologize for this oversight!

With motorhomes, there is no wordings that stipulate you have to remain with your unit while it is in the US. If you are going to be away from the motorhome for a period of time, the company just requests that you contact us so that we can note the file.

We will ask who will be watching the unit in your absence and what the plan is for its care in the event of an emergency"
Old 07-27-2021, 09:43 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Thanks for the info. Guess I don't understand why the rules apply to trailers only

Tags
bird