Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2020, 06:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I pay about a third of what Bankrate shows for Ohio, which is the chart I used earlier. Unfortunately those types of sites are only good for rough comparatives.

That being said, a friend was thinking about switching from Ohio to Florida this year and his car rate would more than double. That's as good a comparative as I need.

We're thinking about an OH -> TN move. So when I do my taxes this year in Turbotax I'll splurge $50 and buy the TN state module. Turbotax will show me to the dollar just how much my state taxes will change with nary a web site involved.

Ray
Tn doesnít have a state income tax.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2020, 07:43 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Florida has no personal property tax, no income tax, no state inspections. License fees on even the biggest most expensive RV are less than $100/yr.
I should also add that in Florida you do not need a special (CDL?) license. Your normal lic covers you driving an RV.

I don't think that insurance is that bad either. We just got our renewal and for our 2018 DP and a 2020 JEEP Cherokee with full replacement value on the coach was just a bit under $1400 (6 months). And that is the Full Time rate.
momdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:48 PM   #17

You all know that insurance rates are not by State but by zip code? The same vehicle insured in North rural Florida pays much less for insurance than if it was in Miami. So State-to-state comparisons aren't really valid.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:35 PM   #18
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
Tn doesnít have a state income tax.
And they just stopped taxes on pre-tax retirement withdrawals, which is different from Ohio. But they essentially have a 10% sales tax most places. That's 3% higher than where I live and Ohio does not tax food, unlike Tennessee.

Lots of moving parts to consider.

Ray
Old 10-22-2020, 08:19 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Florida has the highest insurance rates in the country for cars so you may get whacked there.
That's too simplistic. Insurance rates in Florida vary widely depending on whether you are located in one of the big metro areas, e.g. Dade/Broward/Palm Beach counties, or the more rural north, central & panhandle areas. Car insurance there runs about 2/3 of those state averages.

If you will be purchasing a new or late model RV, consider establishing residence in a low sales & vehicle tax state for a year or so to minimize the purchase cost, and then shifting to a different state that has low personal taxes, favorable insurance options, etc. for better ongoing costs and coverages.

Health insurance: We've been Florida residents for 43 years and never had the supposed health insurance issues that pop up whenever this is discussed. We spend 4-5 months out of Florida every year , either traveling or at some summer location and have never experienced a lack of medical care or insurance problems, including Medicare. My wife has chronic health issues and needs regular care, so this is a big deal for us. Yes, many Medicare Advantage plans are state-specific HMOs, but there are nationwide PPOs as well. There is also Medicare + a "Medigap" policy as an insurance coverage option.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:43 AM   #20

I can help.
I do SD, just did all 4 redg, online and got it forwarded to where I am. only have to go to SD every other lic new card.
(health care) Use the loop hole in the affordable care act.
The op, said living on savings, that is what I am doing for as long as I can, at 59.5 ill draw from IRA and use after tax saved cash, still keep under needing to file, so not paying any taxes on IRA money, is cool, till 65, keeping below filing status, at 65 will take 2 pentions and ssn.
(gov health care.) goes by taxable income. SO, to fudge the system (I) projected, an in come of $14,000 but, it wont even be filing status, but will need to file to get all the money/copay money back. So its free. I will sign up next month for the same loop hole, and get free. if and or when (they ) take it away, ill pay for a company I have already had.
I thought this all was to good to be true, so, I sat on hold for a long time with the IRS, and asked, do I need to file taxes IF my taxable income is less than $12,200, answer was no, but need to file to get my ACH, money back. Sat on hold with
ACH, asked what happens if I make less than $12,200, you can go on medicade, free, but its not made for full time travel, So asked how about if I THINK im going to make $14,000, and don't, you will get money back. So, my monthly cost is $100 for health and dental, and will get all that back.
I do not feel bad about using this loophole, as I made well over $100,000 a year for 32 years and paid a lot of taxes.
Hope this helps the OP. Just pm me if needed.
As I always say, think outside the box, it might work for ya.
Traveler4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:18 PM   #21

Traveler, I am pretty ignorant of many things insurance wise. Would you mind a short explanation of this loop hole?

Thank you
LRbill20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:02 PM   #22
NXR

Quote:
Sat on hold with ACH, asked what happens if I make less than $12,200, you can go on medicade, free, but its not made for full time travel...
Medicaid is a state-level program. I had to get my dad on it due to dementia issues in his 80's.

At least in Ohio, it takes months to years to get accepted. He could not go on Medicaid if he had more than $1,400 in total assets. Total. We had to spend down his lifetime of savings with the nursing home to get him below that amount.

His SS check could put him over $1,400 in assets if it got paid early due to a weekend or holiday so I had to carefully manage (and submit proof) that he never, ever went over $1,400 in total assets. If he did, he lost Medicaid for the next month but the nursing home still wanted their $6,500 a month.

Not a good place to be.

Ray
Old 10-22-2020, 11:56 PM   #23

Foretravel Owners Club
After retirement, We looked at the income tax/sales tax of several states..
Ended up going to SD & use the Escapees organization for mail and domicile address in Box Elder, SD.
4.5% to 5.5% sales tax depending on county, but NO income tax..
Politically..SD is Very Conservative.
We travel (fulltimers) so plan on being south for winters and travel to the northern states during summer..

Take your time and look at all the options regarding which state will best suit your needs.
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:24 AM   #24

Thanks everyone for the responses. It looks like Florida has good healthcare options after all. They also don't have the license restrictions like Texas has for larger Class A motorhomes. I'm going to go that route.
wannaclassc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:18 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRbill20 View Post

Traveler, I am pretty ignorant of many things insurance wise. Would you mind a short explanation of this loop hole?

Thank you
BIG LOOP HOLE.
One can have a billion dallars in a non intrest account or in your matress.
As stated, it goes by taxable income, as I described, in my post.
I live comfortable, on, cash/after tax money and give myself a raise every year.
So, cash, I don't exist, to the IRS, I already paid tax on it. I do, do CD's but the intrest isn't enough to get me to the have to pay/file taxes.. My domicile adds is in SD so no state taxes.
So, as stated, I have to project an income of said $14,000 taxable for the year, but, wont have that much taxable income, so I will file and get all the copay back. $5,200. I didn't need to file for 2018 or 19, but, when the stimulus free money came about, I filed clamed the real number of $6,000 for that year taxable and didn't pay anything, but got a $1,200 check in my account. I am not living high on the hog, but can eat bacon every day.
As long as a single and or couple stay below the need to file number, you don't have to file, taxes.
So, what works for me, from age 53, retired till age 65, is live on after tax saved, secure invested, and then at age 59.5, draw from IRA, but stay below the said need to file tax number. Playing within the rules, of at age 59.5 I can draw about $10,000-12,000 a year out of said IRA and not pay any taxes on that, as long as my total taxable amount is below the now $12,200.
At age 65, its collect 2 pentions and ssn.
I am 56 now will be 57 in a couple months. When I paid for healthcare out of pocket it was $430 a month first year, then $450 a month next year, then I discovered the loop hole. By letting my pentions and ssn sit and gain, I gain 5 times what I would get now.
So, thinking outside the box. A simple $350,000 after tax money invested safe in CD's at a simple average 2% and a simple $250,000 In an IRA, one should be able to live fine doing the rv thingy, for said 12 years till 65.
So the loop hole saves me health insurance costs, till they take it away.
Its not a short explination, but its sweet.
Traveler4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:41 PM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Washington state is actually a great place for this, just not in King, Pierce or Snohomish counties. Check out the insurance, license and sales tax rates in Eastern Washington and you will be pleased. And no state income tax, plus you keep your Apple health plan. Overall, much cheaper than South Dakota or some of the other options.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:48 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piros1 View Post
Why not Montana. No sales tax or personal property tax. If your RV is 11 years old or older you get lifetime plates and a one time registration fee. If it is newer they do have a luxury tax charged annually if the original selling price was over a specific price, I think $250,000 but may be wrong on the number. You could get your RV under an LLC also and domicile in AZ or MT.

AZ has been known to stop RV'ers with out of state places that have their rigs parked in residential neighborhoods. I've heard the same thing happens in California.

Short time is OK, but for a long term option, it could be a problem. I had my class A registered in MT, via an LLC. But never spent a lot of time in AZ.
craigt3365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:58 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Washington state is actually a great place for this, just not in King, Pierce or Snohomish counties. Check out the insurance, license and sales tax rates in Eastern Washington and you will be pleased. And no state income tax, plus you keep your Apple health plan. Overall, much cheaper than South Dakota or some of the other options.
But Washington State does have an estate tax, and it kicks in at a much lower level than the federal estate tax.

Also, FWIW, the extra car tab tax in the counties you mentioned doesn't apply to travel trailers, no matter how long!
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote