Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2020, 07:16 PM   #43

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Florida, Texas, and South Dakota are the usual top contenders for domicile for those that do not own a sticks & bricks house and can make a choice. You are very wise to consider ALL of the costs before deciding. Few people do that and then discover health insurance options limited in South Dakota, or extreme vehicle "import" fees in Florida.

After all of the math exercise, be certain everything is in sync: DL, plates, insurance, health insurance, voter registration, CCW permit, etc. This becomes important when you see flashing red lights behind you and want the traffic stop to be as brief and as few questions as possible.

CA and some East Coast states seem to be at the top of everyone's get-out-of-town list to cut the tax burden.

[QUOTE=wannaclassc;5488867]I'm taking some time off work and looking at RV'ing for the winter. I'm struggling to figure out a plan for domicile.
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2020, 07:23 PM   #44

New Horizons Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkahauts View Post
Iíd suggest looking into Arizona.
Why?
goldiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:20 PM   #45

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
South Dakota

We registered in South Dakota when we went fulltime four years ago. Advantages: low taxes, swap your old driver license for a new one, no jury duty, show up one night every four years, absentee voting, and Americas Mailbox will help set you up with everything you need (plus they are great to work with). It's worth checking out.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:56 PM   #46

Rent from a freind

My full time brother went the SD route. We just went full time in July and stayed with Ohio as our residence, primarily due to be able to maintain our current licenses: (teacher, CDL, High School Ref, CCW, etc.) AND to be able to continue to vote in a state where our vote makes a difference !!!! To minimize the insurance costs, we "rent" ($20/mth) a closet in a friend's home to get a street address. The friend also handles our mail for us. The big win is that by having a renter's policy on a "room in a house" it significantly reduced our auto/trailer and storage facility insurance.
GASII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:29 PM   #47

I would just say that as the residents vote, so goes the state. Sense many are leaving failed states I would be looking to move where THEY don't move. The reality is that someone voted to elect politicians that ran a state so poorly that people are fleeing; who raised all the rates and made all the regulations? Just my $0.02
GP28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:57 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP28 View Post
I would just say that as the residents vote, so goes the state. Sense many are leaving failed states I would be looking to move where THEY don't move. The reality is that someone voted to elect politicians that ran a state so poorly that people are fleeing; who raised all the rates and made all the regulations? Just my $0.02
That is fact. I'm in Az. and and an escapee from Cal. just bought the house next door. He left Cal. because the state has too many problems and is too expensive. He says the problems are not caused by the state government and he has no idea why things have gone so wrong.
Marine Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:58 AM   #49

Forest River Owners Club
South Dakota was best in the past. Low registration fee and sales tax. Spend one night, go to dmv with receipts and walk out with a hologram drivers license in a few minutes. You do need to have the address of a mail forwarding service. If you want a firearm, take care of that before you do this - itís not considered a valid residence address. But you can use the address to register to vote.
JoyceJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:23 AM   #50

There are many medical supplement policies with $0 premium, especially in FL. Over 65 (medicare) and Humana is all we need.
jayandmarji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:57 AM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I pay about a third of what Bankrate shows for Ohio, which is the chart I used earlier. Unfortunately those types of sites are only good for rough comparatives.

That being said, a friend was thinking about switching from Ohio to Florida this year and his car rate would more than double. That's as good a comparative as I need.

We're thinking about an OH -> TN move. So when I do my taxes this year in Turbotax I'll splurge $50 and buy the TN state module. Turbotax will show me to the dollar just how much my state taxes will change with nary a web site involved.

Ray
Tennessee has no state income tax. There is a 1% income tax on dividends that end on Jan 2021. State sales tax is close to 10% in most areas.
cos80922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:59 AM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tennessee has no state income tax. There is a 1% income tax on dividends that end on Jan 2021. State sales tax is close to 10% in most areas.
cos80922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:26 AM   #53

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigt3365 View Post
AZ has been known to stop RV'ers with out of state places that have their rigs parked in residential neighborhoods. I've heard the same thing happens in California.

A few years ago, California issued a "pass" that had to be displayed on the dash on "out of state" vehicles. I would guess it was to prevent people from not registering their vehicles when moving into the state. Must have been illegal since they didn't pass them out on our next trip.

Last year, we had a 6 month visit to do some rental house renovation and camped out on the driveway. Because of the homeless problem across Los Angeles we were instantly a neighborhood sensation, even getting the sheriff department running out plates to see if we belonged in the neighborhood.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:36 AM   #54

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigt3365 View Post
AZ has been known to stop RV'ers with out of state places that have their rigs parked in residential neighborhoods. I've heard the same thing happens in California.

A few years ago, California issued a "pass" that had to be displayed on the dash on "out of state" vehicles. I would guess it was to prevent people from not registering their vehicles when moving into the state. Must have been illegal since they didn't pass them out on our next trip.

Last year, we had a 6 month visit to do some rental house renovation and camped out on the driveway. Because of the homeless problem across Los Angeles we were instantly a neighborhood sensation, even getting the sheriff department running out plates to see if we belonged in the neighborhood.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:49 AM   #55

fire arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyceJam View Post
South Dakota was best in the past. Low registration fee and sales tax. Spend one night, go to dmv with receipts and walk out with a hologram drivers license in a few minutes. You do need to have the address of a mail forwarding service. If you want a firearm, take care of that before you do this - itís not considered a valid residence address. But you can use the address to register to vote.
When you say fire arm, I assume permit to carry. When I became a south dokotan, I was summering in northern MN, I just grabbed my tent, all my info, picked a small town, Went to campground, got receipt, set up tent, went to DMV that was only set up once or 2 times a week. Showed recpt, walked out with my commercial divers license. Went to court house, got boat, bike, camper, truck done all at once for redg's.
To change over a permit to conceal, one is sopposed to stay a month. I took a chance, went to sheriffs office, was nice and polite as I could be. Gave lady info, she said I needed to go to the county I was from. She made a call, and a couple uhum yess, um yes thankyous later. She sais $10 please, gave me a temp and got hard copy in the mail.
So I suggest a small town and be really nice and get it done all in one dayish.
All titles were done by the mail forwarding company for me, for a fee of coarse.
This worked out great for me, others may have different experiences.
Traveler4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:59 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaclassc View Post
Currently, I live in Washington State. I have no income but savings. I'm on Apple Health in Washington State right now but don't have medical needs really.

Insurance - This seems to be an issue.

Washington State - doesn't seem like a great option as I hate the politics, don't want to stay there, there's 10+% sales tax and registration costs are crazy and vehicle values are totally overrated by the tax system.

Any advice?
Hummm, hate he politics but love the insurance? Taxes are what's paid to be civilized (and healthy).
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote