Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2020, 01:22 PM   #57

RE: Montana reg. fees. On my 2 year old Tiffin Phaeton, the luxury tax is $1,130 per year. I'm looking to move to SD
jellison76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2020, 02:51 PM   #58

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison76 View Post
RE: Montana reg. fees. On my 2 year old Tiffin Phaeton, the luxury tax is $1,130 per year. I'm looking to move to SD
'Come On Over..
Just a note..The initial sales tax for registering the rigs will be a bit spendy coming from a non sales tax state.
BUT... that is a "one and done" thing.
[We came from Oregon, another non sales tax state]
Annual reg. isn't that bad compared to others.and You can re-new online...

Big plus is NO Income Tax! Great for those who have retirement funding in addition to Your SS.
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:30 PM   #59

When we full timed, we joined Escapees. When you join, you can domicile in Texas, S Dakota or Florida. They also offer mail service, so you can get mail sent to you, wherever you are.
Lots of opinions on where to domicile. We chose Texas, because we had lived there most of our lives. We thought insurance and registration costs were reasonable.
You should look at Texas as a place to winter, as well. Brownsville, TX is farther south than Miami FL.
OlJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:12 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
That's too simplistic. Insurance rates in Florida vary widely depending on whether you are located in one of the big metro areas, e.g. Dade/Broward/Palm Beach counties, or the more rural north, central & panhandle areas. Car insurance there runs about 2/3 of those state averages.

If you will be purchasing a new or late model RV, consider establishing residence in a low sales & vehicle tax state for a year or so to minimize the purchase cost, and then shifting to a different state that has low personal taxes, favorable insurance options, etc. for better ongoing costs and coverages.

Health insurance: We've been Florida residents for 43 years and never had the supposed health insurance issues that pop up whenever this is discussed. We spend 4-5 months out of Florida every year , either traveling or at some summer location and have never experienced a lack of medical care or insurance problems, including Medicare. My wife has chronic health issues and needs regular care, so this is a big deal for us. Yes, many Medicare Advantage plans are state-specific HMOs, but there are nationwide PPOs as well. There is also Medicare + a "Medigap" policy as an insurance coverage option.

Gary, we are thinking of going full time. We are looking to buy either a new or late model Entegra Cornerstone. What state would you recommend to establish residence in to minimize the purchase cost?

We have no S&B (currently rent) so we would like to establish our domicile in the most tax friendly state; more specifically what state has the lowest sales tax for a MH? (we have Medicare so health insurance is not an issue)

I have heard that if you own your RV for more than 6 months, Florida will not charge you any additional taxes if you decide to move to Florida. Anyone know if that's true?

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

ron
Maddog11capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:40 AM   #61
jrs

Also consider MyRVmail.com based in the central panhandle area of Florida. Been very pleased with their service. Get your licence at the Crestview location and just cross the hallway to complete the domicile setup. Took less than 1.5hrs and we're set up to vote too.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:41 PM   #62

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
Just a FYI. I registered my 2017 MB Sprinter for 2021 in Tennessee. It was $32. Just like my car.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 06:35 PM   #63

As I was reading this thread, I noticed several people saying they had IRA's, and too small of income to file taxes, then in a few years from now they would use their IRA's. If your taxes are Zero - you may want to consider doing a rollover from your IRA to a Roth IRA. You "will" pay taxes on the rollover, but if you have extra space before you start to pay income tax, you can convert some of you IRA's to Roth IRA's every year for free.

Be sure and do your own research - especially on the 5 year limits. But this may be a great way to save some taxes.
Rocketman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:32 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiem View Post
Why?
Why? That is the question. I live in AZ and we pay a personal property tax on our vehicles. My 2016 Toyota cost me over $300 this year to register. When I had my 2003 Diplomat I was still paying over $200 per year to register it. Sure, the property tax portion is deductible but Id rather keep the cash. But when approximately 80% of the land in AZ is either federal, state, or reservation, there is precious little that actually generates any income.
tcarlsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:45 AM   #65

taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman3 View Post
As I was reading this thread, I noticed several people saying they had IRA's, and too small of income to file taxes, then in a few years from now they would use their IRA's. If your taxes are Zero - you may want to consider doing a rollover from your IRA to a Roth IRA. You "will" pay taxes on the rollover, but if you have extra space before you start to pay income tax, you can convert some of you IRA's to Roth IRA's every year for free.

Be sure and do your own research - especially on the 5 year limits. But this may be a great way to save some taxes.
Unless something really bad happens. My gole/setup, Is, I retired at age 53, and 3 months, got money back for taxes for that year, I will be 57 in January, I set myself up to live good, and not pay any fed or state taxes from age 54 to 65, that includes IRA money taken at age 59.5.. keeping under the need to file amount, so no paying taxes on Ira money.
65, 2 pentions and SSN.
I was informed by a nice accountant, that once one leaves a company, its best to roll ones 401k over to an ira, and avoid the fees charged by the 401k.
Unless one is getting benofits from a company. Every year one can live on after tax money, and not pay any taxes and let the pention sit, it will grow.
I have posted before how I do this, but if any one needs/wants to know, just pm me.
Traveler4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:49 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler4321 View Post
I do SD, just did all 4 redg, online and got it forwarded to where I am. only have to go to SD every other lic new card.
(health care) Use the loop hole in the affordable care act.
What ACA insurance plan did you find in South Dakota that has PPO access to a nationwide network of providers? I thought the aren't any in South Dakota or Texas, which is why fulltimers who aren't old enough for Medicare usually domicile in Florida, which does have such plans.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:07 AM   #67

Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
What ACA insurance plan did you find in South Dakota that has PPO access to a nationwide network of providers? I thought the aren't any in South Dakota or Texas, which is why fulltimers who aren't old enough for Medicare usually domicile in Florida, which does have such plans.
I didn't. I have coverage for where I go/travel.
Winter hear in Texas, My provider isn't hear. I'm one state away if needed to be checked in for a wile. All emergency stuff is covered all over. I summer in MN, my provider is there.
Havent seen a plan that covers all and everything in all states. That's the downside one has to ponder on.
But for free, I'll work it for my needs.
It's in my budget to pay for private health insurance, but that's crazy with the loopholes left in the ACH.
Everyone has to investigate what works for them,, or doesn't work for them.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:27 PM   #68

Quote:
I didn't. I have coverage for where I go/travel.
Winter hear in Texas, My provider isn't hear. I'm one state away if needed to be checked in for a wile. All emergency stuff is covered all over. I summer in MN, my provider is there.
I'm confused. You're domiciled in South Dakota but that's not where your insurance is from? And you're living in Texas but that's not where your insurance is from, either? It's one state away? How did you choose that state, and what address do you use there, if it's not your domicile and it's not where you actually are?
Old 11-04-2020, 09:03 AM   #69

domicile

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
I'm confused. You're domiciled in South Dakota but that's not where your insurance is from? And you're living in Texas but that's not where your insurance is from, either? It's one state away? How did you choose that state, and what address do you use there, if it's not your domicile and it's not where you actually are?
My domicile, Is in SD, That's the state I get ACA out of, that's were my mail goes, then gets forwarded to were I choose, that's were I did absentee voting, I have never been to what is called my, adds/po box.. I travel full time, so what works for me, is Sanford health. It is in MN where I summer, but not in TX where I winter. ALL emergencys are covered, weather that state has Sanford health or not.. If I needed a procedure, or a stay, I would need to go north the Oklahoma , or a state that has Sanford health,and im fully covered. ( $2400 max out of pocket )
Different peoples travels, and or stays, means they need to do research on what is best for them. Home is were I park it.
I chose SD as my domicile because FL is to busy for me, and AZ is to busy for me, so its become a winter Texan, then back to northern MN for the summer.
It is in my budget, to, pay for my health insuance, and that's a plan for anywere, but that's nuts when its free, after paying lots of taxes over my working years.
I never said, I live in Texas. I live where im parked.
Someday, I may leave a camper hear in TX, and one in MN, and do the Texas domicile.
Its cheep fun living. Leave my paid for camper hear annually, and get another and leave annually, in my home town camp ground comes to $3300 hear in TX + electric and 5 months in northern MN for $1200 everything included and $75 to leave it there for the winter. That's Rounded up $4600 a yrear, add in $1000 savings on fuel not towing back and forth and that's $3600 a year/$300 a month. Not factoring in a new/or used camper for MN.
Ya gotta love this rv life.
Hope that explains it all.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:24 AM   #70

Quote:
I travel full time, so what works for me, is Sanford health. It is in MN where I summer, but not in TX where I winter. ALL emergencys are covered, weather that state has Sanford health or not..
To be fair, the OP didn't say anything about needing health insurance only in a specific area of the U.S., and in fact said that in South Dakota, "insurance options suck."

Which is what most fulltimers have concluded. You have health insurance for routine care only when you are in Minnesota in the summer. You don't have coverage when you're wintering in Texas, or when you're traveling anywhere other than up by South Dakota and Minnesota. That is not what most fulltimers are looking for.

And yes, you're covered for emergencies, but when does the "emergency" end, and your care is no longer covered because you're not in Sanford's geographic region?

This might be acceptable for someone if there is no other solution, but most people want health insurance that will cover them wherever they are, which a South Dakota domicile does not offer. Nor does Texas. That's why so many of them choose Florida, where Blue Cross does offer a plan with access to a nationwide network.

Quote:
Sat on hold with ACH, asked what happens if I make less than $12,200, you can go on medicade, free, but its not made for full time travel, So asked how about if I THINK im going to make $14,000, and don't, you will get money back.
This is from your explanation on how to qualify for an ACA subsidy even though you don't actually make enough money, and your income makes you eligible for Medicaid instead. At least I think that's what you're saying.

People need to be very careful with this. Some new rules in 2019 clamped down on people doing this very thing--claiming an income that will qualify them for a subsidy when in actuality they don't have that amount of income. You don't get to take the premium tax credit (i.e., you have to pay it back) if you, "with intentional or reckless disregard for the facts, provided incorrect information to a Marketplace for the year of coverage."

This is in the instructions for line 6 of Form 8962 (the form you file to reconcile the premium tax credit you receive), as well as in Publication 974, about the premium tax credit. The Marketplace uses tax returns to make determinations, and you can make a case for why your current situation is different (e.g., lost a job and therefore currently has less income than the year before), but you can't just "guess" or make up numbers to get you into subsidy range.