Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2009, 04:36 AM   #1

Canton, TX

We just reserved our spot for the December trade day in Canton, TX. Has anyone camped in the area around the Civic Center? Any tips?

I'll be in a 34' class C pulling 16' cargo trailer. We're wondering if the trailer area is separate from the RV lane or close by. Need to leave around noon on Sunday to head back to Alabama.

Thanks for looking
Terry
tnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2009, 04:54 AM   #2

We just returned home from Canton. We stayed in the unreserved sites on the higher side of the parking lot just as you enter the sale area. When we arrived on Monday previous to the start (you must get there early to get a spot) the lower area along the creek was flooded and some RV were in water up to the hubs. We thoroughly enjoyed the week there. Tons of people and the parking lots were packed every day beginning Thurs. Just make sure you can get out. We left at 8am Sunday to ensure we could get out prior to the parking lot filling up. Have fun.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:50 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might want to check out this place. It's where we stay for first Monday. Its nice that they provide a free shuttle to and from even though they are only a few blocks from the market.
Expect huge crowds for the December weekend.

RV Rentals in Texas and East Texas at Canton's Mill Creek
Old 11-05-2009, 07:52 AM   #4

We were at Canton this past weekend as well. Never stayed at the Civic Center so I can't help you there, but I second what Skipper said - you might want to consider leaving a little earlier on Sunday as all the areas (RV spots, parking lots, and roads) can get very congested by noon. We left at 9 am and had no problems but were impressed at the number of vehicles we met headed towards Canton as we left.

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:15 PM   #5

[QUOTE=Skipper 05MA;563779]We just returned home from Canton. We stayed in the unreserved sites on the higher side of the parking lot just as you enter the sale area. When we arrived on Monday previous to the start (you must get there early to get a spot) /QUOTE]

Yeah Skipper, that's what I figured about the unreserved spots. I'm driving too far to guess as to whether there would be a spot. unfortunately I still have a (JOB) that I can't leave till Monday afternoon.

Thanks
Terry
Old 11-05-2009, 05:17 PM   #6

I spoke with the folks at Mills Creek Jim. I had them on the back burner in case I didn't get in to the main grounds. We're hoping to buy a good deal and really wanted our trailer close by.

Thanks
Terry
Old 11-05-2009, 05:19 PM   #7

Yeah REWahoo, I was afraid of that. I have to be at work on the following Tuesday, so worst case wife will need to drive while I catch a nap for a straight drive home.

Thanks
Terry
Old 11-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #8

tnau
I'd say go, try it you might like it. I can assure you your bride will.

Skipper05MA
Yep it was tough that Monday morning.
We were the green and white Windsor, 3rd from the end with water almost to the rim down by the creek. That whole hillside drains down to that point and then the outlet was partially blocked. We were in a group of about 16 coaches from So. La that travel a lot together although this was our first trip there. Interesting place, the girls did the commercial sites in the buildings and the men prowled the "Junque" section in the back. Couple of buddys and I were out back when they opened the back gate for the "Junque" dealers and we stood there for an hour while they filed by in all types of vehicles. Remember the movie, "Grapes of Wrath", well most of these vehicles looked like they came from that movie. They had stuff piled on top, sides, anywhere it would ride. I think that was on Wednesday but that hour was worth the whole trip. If you noticed that early, 0700 , Saturday AM we were all gone, you're very observant. We were back home in Westbank N.O. @ 1600, boring but quick.

Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:08 PM   #9

You got it Dave. The junk section is where we're headed. We can find the stuff inside most anywhere, but are hoping to cash in on the regional cast offs.

Terry
Old 11-26-2009, 04:32 AM   #10

I'm bumping back to the top.

We're getting excited now. Leaving Monday afternoon right after work.

Anyone planning to be there?

We have a few stops planned to take up Tuesday but I'll bet we try to get in as early as we can on Wednesday to get set-up.

Terry
Old 11-26-2009, 05:08 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Going to Canton for the first time is like going to Branson for the first time.Both use to be a lot of fun,but as all ways get to big and good deals no more.I live 45 miles from Canton and if you want to buy maybe Sunday afternoon or Monday Morn!I dont go any more to crowded,I guess thats why I live out side of town!Its one of those places everyone should go to at least once and I do hope you have fun and find the right buy.By the way what are you looking for?
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:15 AM   #12

Hey DBOL, enjoyed sleeping in today huh?

We buy recycled household items such as old coffee pots, platters, buckets, pots, you name it. Even some furniture, but the range is limited. My wife is a full time painter so she cleans it up, paints a scene on it and then sells at craft shows.

We've done the longest yard sales around for years and the supply is drying up.

Terry
Old 11-26-2009, 05:30 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Willshe be saling some of the crafts?

Weknow afew people who sale some do well others dont Christmas would be good time to sale,hope you do well.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:33 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Oh!by the way I was up at 4:30 talking to Wife who is still working RN and I get up to give her encuragement so she can bring in the $ to keep me retired