Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #15

I'm with RovinOn. DW will follow behind for local trips and we'll rent for the longer ones. Our main problem is that we do not have a vehicle that we can tow 4 down. Not a big fan of the tow dolly and the initial costs outweigh the ROI/benefits for our family at the moment. If and when we purchase another vehicle, we will definitely consider one that can be towed, but until that time comes, renting works just fine for us.
w1kk3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #16

We have rented vehicles in the past and for the most part have not had an issue. What is a problem is that we travel with our two labs, and rental companies do not allow pets in vehicles.
We are looking at setting the DW's vehicle as a tow vehicle, but just have not got past the $3000 that it is going to cost. I do like the fact of having an extra vehicle in case there is an issue with the MH. Some of the places we travel, it can be quite a wait for help. Our last trip to the 'lower 48' we spent over $2500 on rental vehicles, so I guess that takeing our own might make more sense.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
For me, the bigger issue is a breakdown or accident. I like having a secondary backup form of transportation. I do NOT want to be broken down and stranded on the side of the highway while waiting for a tow when it could be something I could easily repair myself.
X2 First trip to the coast I had a jack that would not retract, mine are electric. I used the toad to drive to a place that had WIFI, researched the problem, found the fix and fixed it. RV service call would have been $80+ repair. The toad is also my daily comute to the golf course when home.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #18

It depends a great deal on where you travel. Rental rates are 3x as high in Montana as in California for example. In Montana I would tow a car while in CA I would look into renting one. In competitive markets there are great daily rates with unlimited mileage. Also with renting you can use different types of cars depending upon your needs. In San Francisco a small compact would be great whereas in other areas a 4WD SUV might be the optimum vehicle.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
On our trip to yellowstone, we rented instead of pulling a toad for the 4000+ mile long trip. On shorter ones like the Oregon Coast, redwoods, etc, we tow a 2003 Chevy tracker 4 down. Light, easy tow and inexpensive. About 1,000 lighter than a comparable jeep. You can find a lightly used tow bar for less than 50% of new on Craigslist or ebay. I paid for a new setup, but wouldn't do that next time.

Roadmaster sells hidden receiver setups for many rigs. The falcon all terrain is a good tow bar (we use).

Even with a 25 foot class C RV, we find great convenience with having a toad with us if the destination means lots of side trips.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post
DH and I are debating the issue of renting a car after we arrive at our destination vs towing. We are not sure if it is worth the expense of outfitting our RV and car for only 2 or 3 trips each year. We'd appreciate some feedback from those of you that tow vs those that rent.
For those that rent, where do you usually find rental companies? I know they are usually found close airports, but how hard is it to get in and out with the RV?
Paula
you never said what type of vehicle you want to tow.i tow a 1999 ranger sport single cab on a car dollie and it works for me.
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #21

In my case convenience trumps cost (well to a degree).

I rented a few times but found that inconvenient. I like the option of being able to disconnect and take off in the car at any time and anywhere. I have towed 4 down for years after a disaster with a dolly. While towing is a bit of a PITA, when trying to backup and I don't always take the Toad I still like having that option.

I can disconnect in less than 60 sec and connect in less than 90 sec, after I line up so It is not a big deal to take it off if need be
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #22

Bit the bullet in 2001. 97 Saturn SL2 until this year. 2012 Wrangler. No regrets.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:11 AM   #23

I can tell you of an instance where the toad was needed.......we were at a campground in Ohio, terrible thunderstorms were brewing, the thunder storms turned into tornado warnings. We were not towing at that time, and we had rented from enterprise and had returned the vehicle that afternoon. The tv flashed the warning, the campground ranger came around announcing that we should go to the nearest shelter......the shelter was about a 1/4 mile away across an open field to a concrete bath house. Since we didn't want to run across the field in the dark, with the rain and all, we decided to ride it out in th m/h cause the trip across the field would have had us soaked and the danger of a lighting etc. We didn't know how close the tornado were to our location. I was outside trying to see if someone would give us a lift.....luckly a passerby in a pickup truck asked us if we needed a ride, if it weren't for that ride we would have stayed in the m/h. At the shelter we spent 4 hours before we could go back to the m/h.....shortly thereafter we got a toad and have been very happy that we made the move.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #24

Rented a car for the first couple of years with our class A. We used Enterprise and always had good service. Last year with our long trip being a couple of months (One month stay at a campground, one month on the road) we decided to outfit our Grand Cherokee and rig with a Blue Ox tow system. We use the jeep as our 2nd vehicle at home so will not include that in the cost in the review. If we would have rented for 3 of our 4 week stay the cost of the rental (cheapest we could rent from Enterprise), equalled a little more than half of what we paid for tow system. So next season it will be a wash. Now that we have a toad, it would be hard to travel without one. Not only is it very convienient during the long term stay but we found that during our travelling it has come in very handy. Sometimes we don't unhook the toad but there have been those times where we have found a way cool camping area and decide to stay a couple of days. Having the toad has allowed us to do a lot more exploring during the journey. Definited a great addition to our last trip.
luvmydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing