Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2009, 06:19 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been getting some quotes for installing a metal RV port of a pole barn to cover our Class A motorhome.
The best pricing I have found is through carports.com and would appreciate any feedback anyone may have concerning this company. All my dealings so far have been through internet and phone so I haven't gotten any up close and personal feelings yet. I did a search for complaints and did find several for them and related (I think) companies but I do also know that I was only seeing one side when reading anonymous complaints.
Thanks for any info anyone may be able to provide. If you don't want to make a statement online, you can e-mail or PM me directly.

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on W20 w/8.1L and Allison
Capt Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2009, 07:10 AM   #2

Try http://www.coast-to-coast.com They are nation wide. The site may be coast to coast carports.com
Chet
Old 03-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a site to explain the good and bad in carrvports.
CARPORT KITS
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Capt Joe,

Up front let me say thus far I'm very satisfied.
Last November I had an 18x20 7' 12gauge with vertical roof, extra braces and mobile home anchors installed by T-N-T website, which owns carports.com. Installation was on the ground vs cement or blacktop. Bouncing back and forth, I opted for that one for my tractor and other goodies vs a larger one (12x41 or 18x41) for the RV. Went with vertical roof, braces and anchors because of snowloads and winds associated with noreasters. Noticing your FL location snow isn't a problem but wind would be.

Reason I was looking at the 12 & 18 wide for the RV size had to do with slides and storage doors. If I just wanted to park it 12' would do. If I wanted slides open and ability to open bay doors I needed to go with the 18'.

Customer service was very helpful answering questions. Installers knew what they were doing. Took a couple of hours to erect and they were gone.

Hope this helps.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #5

Last fall I sat down at this computer, downloaded a free CAD program, and designed mine. It is 60'X40' W/15' sidewalls. I designed a sliding 20'X15' door + a walk-in door, no windows, just a ridge skylight the entire length. Then, armed with my trusty yellow pages, I began calling pole barn builders. I've signed the contract, now waiting for construction weather.
About 8 years ago I located a website with free RV building(port) plans. It's long gone now,but I still remembered some designs.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't let yourself be limited by in-stock designs. My pole barn-RV port is to my desires, at a reasonable price.

I'm confused by the term "vertical roof"??? Isn't that straight up?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I'm confused by the term "vertical roof"??? Isn't that straight up?
Hope I'm explaining it correctly. Standard roofing material is installed horizontally so it's somewhat rounded (goes gable to gable). Their vertical roofing (also called A framed) has the material running from ridge to eave. Easier for snow to slide off.

I considered pole barn also. Problem here is that pole barn is considered permanent, thus a taxable structure. Carport is considered temporay, therefore no tax.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for all the insight, folks. The more I look around the more it seems there are a lot of companies that are interconnected in this business of 'carports and garages'.
Kind of leaning now towards talking again with a local company who installs one of the national brands. Might be a better deal to have someone local rather than a crew who blows into town and is then gone. Will probably cost a few more dollars but might be worth it.

As far as the vertical roofing goes, it is installed from the ridge down to the eave with the strakes in the roofing material then going up and down instead of fore and aft. Where we live in the Florida Panhandle, we have lots and lots of oak trees that drop leaves nearly all the time. It doesn't take much of a ridge in the roof to catch a few leaves and then they start stacking up real quick. With the vertical running strakes, they tend to slide on down and are much easier to wash them down with either a hose or pressure washer. Also, IMHO, the vertical run of the roof just looks better to me.

Going to keep up the search over the weekend and probably talk to a local builder or two the first of the week. Hope to decide and get something started pretty soon.

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on W20 w/8.1L and Allison
Capt Joe is offline   Reply With Quote