Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2021, 10:46 PM   #1

CARB inspections

Anyone know how the new (Draft Heavy-Duty Vehicle Inspection and Maintenance (HD I/M)
Regulatory Concepts – December 2020) will effect those of us that do not live in California?

Rod
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2021, 08:39 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Not sure it would apply to non-calif registered vehicles. And only trucks over 14000 pound gross weight.

If I had an F450 or above, I would be concerned since I live here. More regulations is all we need.

The big boys will need to get smogged every two years just like my F350 diesel. There is no repentance if you fail. If you delete, you fail. If you look cross-eyed at the inspector, you fail. ANY smoke from the tailpipe, you fail.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:57 AM   #3

Unless something has been radically changed in CA laws, their regulations only apply to motor vehicles that are registered in CA. If that changes it will kill their tourist market and block most trucking from delivering into CA.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:10 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
W/O trying to get political, Washington State governor Jay Inslee recently terminated its emission testing program, citing low failure rates deemed testing was no longer necessary. If you remember, Jays run for president was based on climate change. Things that make you say hmmm?
So I guess if California requires an annual CARB certificate for out of state travel to their state Washingtonians will need to be tested in California?
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:40 AM   #5

years ago, when kalif got nasty about idle quality

on diesels, and implemented the tier level on diesels,
we stopped running to kalif, we now drop our loads(trailers) in Az.
no more hassles, and BS, besides there is always someone willing to play
stupid games,
I've noticed the large majority of trucks that do carry ours and others "drop loads" have mexican tags, ( not new mexico, but mexico/ south of the border)
and if you've ever been around a smog/inspection station , you're quickly aware that money talks, and regulations walk. LOL

I see where OR says they will be banning diesel fuel in 2024, I'd like to know
how they expect to get all the goods and foods into the state?
trucks, trains, aircraft ,all use a form of diesel fuel.
and I have yet to see a successful /reliable semi tractor run over the road ON ELECTRIC, not to mention elect aircraft, or electric trains ( yes I'm aware trains use electric motors to drive them , but use diesel to generate that elect)
Old 03-15-2021, 10:59 AM   #6

For the masochists in the group here's the senate bill. In a quick reading it does not seem to exempt RVs, but I didn't read it with a fine tooth comb. That said, it doesn't look like it will be a border inspection program, but if you have a check engine light on or you have tampered with your emissions equipment it looks like they can park you. Happy reading or snoozing as the case may be.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...201920200SB210

I could not find the proposed rule but I'll keep looking.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:10 PM   #7

Here's the word straight from CARB in an answer to an email I sent them earlier. It looks like they are going to exempt out of state RVs, at least at the moment.

"CARB staff conducted a HD I/M workgroup webinar in December where we unveiled our first working draft of the HD I/M regulatory concepts; it is not yet a finalized and implementable rule. In that version, we were proposing that out-of-state motorhomes would be subject to the periodic testing requirements. The link below to the pdf document is that December version of the draft regulatory concepts for the HD I/M program. I've also included the link to the overall HD I/M webpage with more information on program development, meetings, and events.
Since the December HD I/M workgroup meeting, we've been revising the draft document and are now looking to exempt out-of-state motorhomes from the periodic testing requirements in response to a March 8, 2021, letter from the RV Industry Association, National Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds, and CampCALNow. We expect to post the updated version of the draft regulatory language to the HD I/M webpage during the week of March 22, 2021, and will be discussing it at our next HD I/M workgroup webinar on March 29, 2021 (info on how to register for the webinar is available from the HD I/M webpages).

Best Regards,
Krista Fregoso"

Here's a link to the draft rule.

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default...g_concepts.pdf

And a link to where you can stay updated: https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/our-work/prog...enance-program

Happy reading folks.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:38 PM   #8
PKI

Could not get the links to connect, but did find the associated information on the CARB site by searching for "HD I/M workgroup webinar".

Posted the link to the page and it does not work. You will have to do the above search.
Old 03-16-2021, 04:04 PM   #9

State emissions testing is a huge boondoggle. Sooner or later all the old vehicles will be off the roads and the new vehicles will all have the latest emissions controls. Yes, there will be a few deleters but those can be dealt with by the occasional police stops. Meanwhile the real estate used by those testing sites could be sold off to pay for the state's budget deficit.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inspections