Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2022, 05:51 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
Card limit

I usually pay with cash but today I fueled up using a credit card. At $99.00 the pump stoped and said “maximum amount reached” I am now at a less then 1/2 tank and told that credit cards have a limit of $75 on gas and $99 on diesel. And it is done for the rest of the day so you can’t just rerun the card. And to add insult to it I was using a station that is hooked up to my food supermarket card and I had a ten cent discount on one fill up plus cash back on the credit card. So I had to pay cash for the other 1/2 + tank of fuel with out my discount or cash back.

Now that I am done venting have a nice day.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2022, 05:55 PM   #2

I've read that if you take the card inside as opposed to swiping at the pump you may avoid that limit. Maybe try that next time?
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 05:58 PM   #3

Sounds like a limit imposed by the fuel station when using a.card. Haven't been out this year yet, but often put over $100 of fuel on my card.
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:07 PM   #4

The grocery store fuel station I use only discounts the first 35 gallons , does your store allow more fuel at the discount ?

The fuel bar will process the C/C in the kiosk for any amount I choose ,and issue a receipt at the pump for the amount dispended and show credit to the amount processed at the kiosk.
Old 05-10-2022, 06:17 PM   #5

Did you try rerunning the card anyway. I will guess you did. I have run across that before and have just reinserted my card and do it again. Like someone said, go into the store and get them to run it again for you.
With todays high prices they should up the limit. I filled up my pickup which wasn't all that empty and it took $90. Ouch.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDParise View Post
Sounds like a limit imposed by the fuel station when using a.card. Haven't been out this year yet, but often put over $100 of fuel on my card.
CC card amount limits are imposed by the CC processing center, not the filling station or the CC company. The processing centers get paid by the number of cards processed and forwarded to the issuing bank.

I had been told the same thing, so I emailed Discover Card, and the above is what they explained to me. They also said imposing spending limits by either the business or the card issuer is contrary to their stated goal, which is making money.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:43 PM   #7
US1

Ive had to reswipe mine 3x before. Never have ran across any that limited me to just the 1 swipe.
Old 05-10-2022, 07:23 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I was out west last year and needed fuel bad. I even dropped my jeep so I could get into a fueling station. Had the same limits but it let me swipe my card more then once. Even went to the checkout to see if they would let me fill up on the card, nope.

Can't imagine what it would take now if I had to pump 100 gallons.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:24 PM   #9

My experiences are varied, you just have to learn the different processes, then go with the flow.
I purchase diesel at Sams Club many times, they usually have a $100,$125, or $150 pump limit. Then you have to recycle and start the pump again for another $100 or so dollars. Have your phone with you. I’ve had the CC card company text me and ask if the purchase was correct, have to answer YES before they will approve another purchase. The $100 plus purchase is out of the normal range for my normal purchases. I’ve also had the CC company text and ask if two identical purchases were correct, example two $100 purchases, to which I have to answer YES before they will allow additional purchases. I think you’ll run into this more when purchasing at stations that primarily sell gas.
Going through diesel lanes at truck stops, you’ll likely see larger pump limits, or go inside where they will charge your card for something like $500, then you go out, fill the tank, the amount on the pump will be charged to your card and the $500 amount will be dropped off.
It can be quite a learning process.
I went to one truck stop station in Iowa where you just grabbed the hose and filled up, then took your card inside to pay.
alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 08:39 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Back in the day, when credit cards used to alert you to charges outside of your "norm", I used to call the cc company to let them know I would be traveling in a large motorhome that required high dollar amounts charged at fuel stations to fill a large tank. But then, I also would go inside & pre-authorize an amount (estimated ppg + where my fuel gauge needle was) before starting the fueling process.

I never had an issue with a pump cutting off at a certain amount...even the ones with a sticker on them stating such.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:03 PM   #11

When filling up recently pump limit was 125.00. reinserted the card and got another 125.00. third time was unsuccessful believe was cut off by CC company.
just used another card with the same bank to finish fillup another 125.00 then another 100.00 for fillup

One card was a Visa the other was a Mastercard with the same Bank
earned 3% cash back on both cards
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:03 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
As "Ray,IN" stated, neither the station or the CC company are controlling the limit, it's a third party. Every station will have different limits. I'm finding that the majority are either $100, $125, or $150.

I rarely get by on one CC swipe and generally have to run the card twice. My PenFed car will not run a third time. If I need three swipes, I use my Capital One card.

Just my opinion....in the old days if you had two cards (spouse's card) they were the same card. Now they're linked to the same account yet have different numbers so if you need to cancel one, you don't lose access. I have a card just for fuel (PenFed) and a Capital One for all other purposes. This gives me two cards to use. I also bank with Wells Fargo, I don't use their cards but keep them in reserve.

I think if you travel a fair distance from home, you should have a minimum of two cards. Cash is nice but that's a lot of cash to carry, especially with crime on the uprise. You also miss out on the discounts a card can bring.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 05:39 AM   #13

I just fill up more often. After burning $100 worth of fuel I'm usually ready for a short break anyway.
Old 05-11-2022, 05:57 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I just fill up more often. After burning $100 worth of fuel I'm usually ready for a short break anyway.

Yup - this exactly. I stop to fill each day underway. I don't need to, but I like the break. If the card cuts me off early, no big deal. I don't need it filled anyway. Haven't been out much this season yet though, so I might need to change my practices a bit.