Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2021, 03:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
All wonderful entries for the list.

My addiction would be "Drive Defensively".

People dislike to drive behind something they can't see around and will perform all kinds of unsafe maneuvers to get around you, especially at Interstae exit ramps.

Know your surroundings when driving....

g
As a retired SGM as well I'll add that we always recon our planned route using several different available tools including sat pics.
GIjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2021, 04:41 PM   #30

To me, this is a great idea.... Why learn the hard way??? Why take more time and/or effort to learn what others have already found out through experience or research???
Unfortunately, and we all know this is the truth, common sense is not common, and we are not born with all of the necessary skills, knowledge, and abilities for all things we may choose to try out in life.
For what can be a somewhat complicated process, especially at the beginning or after a "time away" (off season) and where mistakes can prove to be costly, I like having written checklists. Over the years, they have saved me heartache and usually only take a minute to use.

Items for your list for learning, but not necessarily as rules but knowledge that could be helpful or even improve safety:
Tires:

They have an age expiry. Do not exceed it, especially for RV tires. Ensure that you have good tread and sidewalls and replace even before "expiry" if warranted. Protect them from sun exposure as much as you can. Check and adjust as needed tire pressures before moving the unit each day of your travels. On trailers and 5ths, torque lug nuts regularly. Do not exceed the speed rating of the tire (which is often well below the posted speed limit)!!! Doing all of these will greatly reduce the possibility of suffering a high speed blowout and/or other wheel/tire issues. Tires that are in poor condition, or outdated, are not properly inflated, or when the speed rating is exceeded (especially if combined with any of the other tire issues) are the leading causes of blowouts and other issues.

Weight:
Weigh your unit as loaded at least once per year, including checking each weight such as total weight, component weight (truck, trailer, etc.), axle weight, and even individual wheel weight, to ensure no overloading. Overloading any part can be dangerous. Many units (read more than half) on our roads are overloaded putting not only themselves but others at risk.
Hitches:
Ensure you have the right size and type for your unit. Load distributing with sway protection is usually not "overkill".
Sewer:
Never leave the valves to your tanks "open". For one, that will provide a direct path for sewer gases to potentially enter your unit. Also, it the black (poop) tank is left open, the liquid will continually drain leaving a lot of the solids behind. This can dry out in the tank turning to a hard coating that is next to impossible to remove. Empty the black tank when 3/4 full, followed by flushing the lines by then emptying the grey tank. Invest in a "tank cleaning" attachment for regular tank flushing. Your nose will thank you.
Route:
Especially when towing, always look ahead to ensure you will be able to safely travel that route. Don't just "trust your GPS". I know that they sometimes mislead and try to have you take roads that are not suitable for your unit!!
That's all I have for now. Other posters have covered many other items well. Personally, having once been a "newbie", having a relatively complete understanding of what is involved, instead of just "blindly jumping in with both feet", is always a better, safer, and more relaxing and fun way to go! And many newbies can be overwhelmed trying to "find out" or worse yet just carry on being completely "clueless" of the dangers and risks they are (often needlessly) facing.
JMHO.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:54 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIjoe View Post
As a retired SGM as well I'll add that we always recon our planned route using several different available tools including sat pics.
Thank you for you Service!!!!

Since I have a gasser I use google earth to conduct an aerial recon of the gas stations I plan to stop at....
kjsandifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:54 PM   #32

Never, ever, ever, ever get in a hurry to do anything.
kjsandifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:08 PM   #33

I love the new title "Best Practices"
Kellyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:10 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by swduns View Post
22. Respect nature
[/COLOR]
"Cardinal Rules"
Why does politics or religion creep into every post?

Bishop Rules
Cardinal Rules
Pope Rules

Where does it end?
PS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:15 PM   #35

Jayco Owners Club
An awsome list! I would like to add... Don't transport firewood. Invasive pests have done a number on our forests.
Barefoot. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:41 PM   #36

That’s where our country is right now.
TucsonTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:19 PM   #37

Make sure you know the exact dimensions of your vehicle, particularly the height: occasionally there are older bridges/underpasses which can ruin your whole year.
Cristos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:55 PM   #38

I have always been told replace tires at 5 years not seven.
bartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:46 PM   #39

Thor Owners Club
modification

Quote:
Originally Posted by swduns View Post
There are regularly people new to RV'g on irv2 asking for advice
I think it would be helpful to provide them a list of rules we learned the hard way
A old adage says a smart man learns from his mistakes but a wise man learns for the mistakes of others
Seasoned RV'rs can pass along lessons they learned thru a list of the most common rules of thumb
I searched google but didn't find a good list of general RV rules
Some people don't like any rules but there are some basic fundamental rules that can help new folks to RV'g

I propose the following list and with your feedback we can polish it to a good list. This is my first pass. Please provide your thoughts and I'll update it

Cardinal Rules of RV’g
1. Keep tires on paved surfaces (unless you unquestionably really know exactly what your doing)
2. Don’t be distracted talking during hooking up, parking or unhooking (watch for animals/kids)
3. Don’t drive aggressively in an RV (slow, careful, defensive)
4. Don’t drive on tires more than 7 years old or dry rotted
5. Check tire pressure before moving an RV
6. Check the weight per tire & ensure your not overloaded
7. Ensure you RV is in a good state of repair and well maintained
8. Research, Prepare, Plan, Preview trips and travel routes
9. Use a braking system in towed vehicles
10. Comply with all laws, rules, and restrictions (have proper insurance)
11. Carry emergency equipment in case of breakdown (flairs, triangles, vests, fire extinguisher, etc.)
12. On down hill grades reduce speed, use gears, and use exhaust brake
13. Do not get rushed and react without thinking. Stop, plan & do it carefully.
14. Be considerate and respect others
15. For safety related issues: Stop-Think-Plan-Act
16. Post vehicle height and weight at driver’s station
17. Don’t push the envelop (driving hours, fuel, etc) (3:30/300 rule)
18. Don’t arrive in an unfamiliar location after dark
19. Minimize, minimize, minimize stuff
20. Carry prudent tools
21. Clean up after yourself and leave no trace
22. Respect nature
[/COLOR]
#12 go down the hill in the same gear you went up it.
I find this works great.
Greasy Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:23 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIjoe View Post
Thank you.....

I never even touched plan your route!!! Hahahaha

"I" too use the GPS backed up with a paper map, back ups with planned RV Lane gas stops for our gasser, etc.

It must have been an occupational left over......

The ol' if I had a nickel for every time I told my troops, "If you fail to plan - you plan to fail" and I'll throw in, "Teach your replacement", we'd be a very wealthy family.......LOL

Safe travels Sergeant Major!!

g
Old 07-16-2021, 06:14 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfast1949 View Post
Yes, my wife and I have a set-up and tear-down protocol. In general the tear down is me outside unhooking with her inside. We always bring in the slides together, her on the switch inside me outside watching it go in straight. Once we are complete with our assigned tasks she comes out and we do a walk around the unit double checking the list to ensure all tasks complete, bins doors closed and locked. We then pull out of the space fully and looking back check for any litter we may have left behind. 6 years...so far so good. It really helps with the peace of mind as no delayed thoughts or questions....."Did you.........?"
Boy I need to practice my list better. Better yet, write it down. The wife and I tag team pretty well, but I left my awning rod on a picnic table in Tennessee. I just noticed it back home in Ohio before our next trip!
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:37 AM   #42

We are pretty organized and considerate people, and we do our research. However, as newbies, we know there are things that we don’t know that we don’t know. 😁 So I definitely appreciate threads like this one where I can pick up new tidbits from those that have driven these roads before!

For checklists, I’m thankful to have found Togo rv. We are adding to them as we go, but they definitely gave us a great place to start! Especially as we got lucky and found the perfect starter rv for us. Although it meant flying across the country on a day’s notice and spending 10 days driving it back. We were not as prepared as we would have liked for that, but the lists definitely saved us a few headaches. Along the way, we created quick stop arrival and departure lists for gas stations and the like. You know, lock the door, close the gas cap, parking brake off lol!