Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2018, 02:05 PM   #1

Carefree Awning Multiple Seam Failures

We have a 2017 NH 33 TT that has 2 Carefree of Colorado Latitude model awnings. Both have failed at the seam where the protective cover material joins the fabric. They are only joined with a small width of tape. While in Arizona in June it was hot with zero wind. I looked at the awning prior to closing it as I always do and noticed that the tape was only stuck to one side and there was about a 3 foot long open gap at one end. Apparently, Carefree puts one stitch of thread on each end and then puts the tape in the middle. I then opened up the other awning and checked it. It had the same problem, however, it was only a few inches long. My 1 year warranty was expired by a few months, but I thought that I would call a dealer and ask if defective material/workmanship would be covered. The answer was no and furthermore, this is an ongoing problem that Carefree is having with this Latitude model. I then decided to contact New Horizons and see if they could get anywhere with Carefree since they(NH) is installing them on their trailers. Again the answer was no, and it will cost me $800 per awning to have the fabric replaced. Now. I had to ask myself "Why would I pay $1,600 every year or so to relace my awning fabric with a known seam failure design"? I think that is the definition of Insanity. I guess that I'm going to have to fix it right myself. I'm going to remove the awning and take it to a good canvas shop and have them sew the entire seam using Gortex thread and then seal the seam. Then at least the seam will last as long as the fabric does. I just read about another NH owner that had the same problem 2 weeks prior to his warranty expiring and Carefree replaced his under the warranty, so they are just replacing them if you get in inder the wire, however, the next one is going to be your expense. One more design flaw with this model is that the plastic awning end caps fall off during travel. Three of mine were replaced by NH so now I have them secured with black zip ties.
MoDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2018, 07:31 AM   #2

I’ve heard of planned obsolescence but this sounds a bit excessive. My motto is “If you want it done right, do it yourself”. Shouldn’t have to be like that though.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:28 AM   #3

You are absolutely correct on that!! I'm in Wyoming now and working my wat east to Elkhart, Indiana for a visit to Moryde. I did some research and found a RV service shop that will remove both awning fabrics. I also found a good canvas shop that will sew the seams back together properly and then I will take them back to the RV service shop for reinstallation. This seam correction should make ehe seams last as long as the fabric. I hope that Carefree eventually comes to their senses and does a factory recall on this Latitude model while they still have some semblance of a reputation. That would at least benefit all the others who both have and will have this seam failure.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I highly recommend the acrylic fabric from Stone Vos. I think it's the highest quality out there and they use a special thread that won't deteriorate as you are experiencing!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:10 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Agree with Joe. In fact I have four Stone Vos slide cover awnings laid out in the garage waiting for time to install them. You either need to buy or make a tool to tension the fabric. I bought one that came in yesterday from Stone Vos. Pretty expensive for just a 3/8" extension milled to fit. $3 and a grinder will do the same.
Four awnings, custom made and shipped to WA state were just over $900, which is less than half what Girard wanted for new ones with the same failure prone stitching.
I understand that Tough Tops may now be making Girard fabric replacements and they're local (Vancouver, WA) to me.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:26 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Agree with Joe. In fact I have four Stone Vos slide cover awnings laid out in the garage waiting for time to install them. You either need to buy or make a tool to tension the fabric. I bought one that came in yesterday from Stone Vos. Pretty expensive for just a 3/8" extension milled to fit. $3 and a grinder will do the same.
Four awnings, custom made and shipped to WA state were just over $900, which is less than half what Girard wanted for new ones with the same failure prone stitching.
I understand that Tough Tops may now be making Girard fabric replacements and they're local (Vancouver, WA) to me.

Tell us about the tool you mentioned. I looked on the Stone Vos website and couldn't find it.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:13 PM   #7

So far it's just the poor design of trying to use tape to hold fabric to vinyl without sewing the two dissimilar materials together. What were they thinking?? Both fabric materials are fine, they just aren't holding together, so I'm going to correct that in a lasting way. I'm going to let the professionals at the canvas repair shop figure out the best way to do it. Thanks for the info on the other material as I will change over to that when I wear out this original fabric.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:15 PM   #8

UPDATED AUGUST 27, 2018

I just finished solving the problem of the failed, poorly designed seams in both of my Carefree Of Colorado Awnings. My total cost for fixing their product was $800. I paid $650 for the removal/reinstall of the fabric on both awnings and $150 for the sewing of a new 2" wide strip of material over their poor tape job.This material was sewed on top and bottom the entier length of the width of both awnings. This was 1/2 the cost of replacing the fabric with the same problematic new material from Carefree which would have failed again in about 14 months just like my original awnings. Now I'm expecting this seam to last as long as the fabric does. It was a lot of BS to go through with 2 awnings that were 14 months old. Carefree just told me "Too bad for you, your warranty was up after 12 months so either by new fabric from us or go get them sewn up yourself". Obviously, I well never purchase from them again.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:01 AM   #9
Community Moderator

awnings

We had a Laredo for 13 years and had to replace the slide topper once. I went thru ToughTop for the material. The new material was heavier and better. Tough Top also sells awning replacement material. When needed I will deal with them again.
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning