Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2004, 03:14 AM   #1

In January I laid down Carpet Shield, the protecant film product for carpets. Well, when we returned home from a 3 week trip to Florida I removed the film and found that some of the adhesive was in the carpet.

I've always maintain my vehicle to look and run as they were when we bought them new. I thought the carpet shield film would help keep the darn Georgia red clay and other crudd out of the carpet, and it did. But now I have adhesive in the carpet, and it draws dirt light a magnet.

I called SurfaceShields and they told me to use "baby Power". It's suppose to cause the adhesive to dry-up and crumble, the all I have to do is sweep it up.

Have any of you folks had the same problem? If so let me know how you handled it.

Tomcat F15
"Sticky paws".
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2004, 03:14 AM   #2

In January I laid down Carpet Shield, the protecant film product for carpets. Well, when we returned home from a 3 week trip to Florida I removed the film and found that some of the adhesive was in the carpet.

I've always maintain my vehicle to look and run as they were when we bought them new. I thought the carpet shield film would help keep the darn Georgia red clay and other crudd out of the carpet, and it did. But now I have adhesive in the carpet, and it draws dirt light a magnet.

I called SurfaceShields and they told me to use "baby Power". It's suppose to cause the adhesive to dry-up and crumble, the all I have to do is sweep it up.

Have any of you folks had the same problem? If so let me know how you handled it.

Tomcat F15
"Sticky paws".
Old 06-27-2004, 05:08 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tomcat, I use this stuff only when I'm in a sandy area, other times I use matching throw rugs. The roll I have cautions on leaving it down for extended periods, I can't recall the precise time, however once I leave the location I immediately tear it up.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 01:41 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I've heard several other reports of this problem. It may depend on how long it is down or perhaps on weather conditions, maybe humidiy or heat. It's not unusual for adhesives to separate from their backing after several days of exposure to warm. moist air.

A few months ago we laid down a heavy gauge clear vinyl to protect the high traffic area near the entry door. Used carpet edge moldings to give it a nice finish and hide the nails. We are very happy with this solution so far (and we have been living in the coach all this time).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 02:17 AM   #5

Gary,

I've been trying to find the vinyl that they used when they made the coach, it doesn't have adhesive, it only needs to be tacked down.

The Carpet Shield's warning states, "30 days", I removed it 20 days later. I don't think they gave much thought to warm weather and a closed up MotorHome.

I'm going to keep looking for the clear without adhesive, maybe someone will have it at the GNR.

Tomcat F15
Old 08-09-2004, 04:15 PM   #6
KCE

Tomcat, go to auto parts store and buy a large spray can of "brake clean" any brand. Spray it on a clean rag an wipe carpet where the adhesive
is located. Do not spray cleaner directly on carpet. Try an area where it will not be noticable first. Been using it for 20 yrs on carpet and cloth seats in the auto business always works and never has done any damage to either. Do not use on plastic or vinyl.

I had the same problem you are having and "brake clean" worked great.

Ken
KCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 06:41 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Tomcat,

Yep, had that problem once. Dealer put some done while performing some service. They had the coach for several weeks. When I got it back, I experienced the same problem. I took it back and made them clean it up though, so I can't help you on a clean-up suggestion.

For similar situations I use a plastic runner that I got at Wal-Mart for about $3. It has those little spikes on the under-side, so it stays in place pretty well under most foot traffic. Nice thing is you can trim them to a custom fit. They're cheap enough, so throwing away trimmed pieces doesn't hurt the pocketbook.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 12:48 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KCE:
I had the same problem you are having and "brake clean" worked great.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Without question use in a well ventilated area.

We were using plastic runners throughout that we bought off the roll at Home Depot. It worked really well in keeping the carpet clean but it looked and underfoot felt not so great.

Just recently pitched out all the plastic runners and we now look like a commercial for throw rugs and runners, but I have to agree with my co-pilot, the rugs are better than plastic runners.

I am keeping the longest runner we had in the event the motorhome gets scheduled for service, it'll definitely cover the rugs from the entry door to the driver's seat.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 03:54 AM   #9

Well, we took a different approach! I figure we use the unit, same as we use our house. If the carpets wear and get soiled, we get them cleaned and or replace them. I'm not saying we're slobish about it, just do like at home.

Have had the unit for four years now and those carpets still look good and the only real wear that shows is on the steps and where the slide rollers bear on the floor when they travel.

No matter what, the unit will not be "New" when we give it up, might as well enjoy the darn thing without too much fuss and bother. If we get a thousand or two less on a sale or trade-in, well so be it! My thoughts on the subject.

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 03:58 PM   #10

Tomcat F15,
Try carpet savers next time. We have used them for Two years in the fifth wheel and they stay out and when soiled throw them in the washer (no softner).
They are made of cotton and you can find them at www.carpetsaver.com.
They actualy work, don't walk on the carpet and nice to walk on.
PS no I don't work or sell for them.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 03:55 PM   #11

It always amazes me as to how you folks respond when ideas are requested. Thanks, when I get my sticky socks out of the carpet and free my feet I'll try your suggestions.

Tomcat F15
"Sticky fingers will get you trouble, but sticky feet will- well I don't know".
Old 08-19-2004, 03:55 AM   #12

Tomcat:

"keep you from leaving!"

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 03:37 AM   #13

Well I tried a number of your suggestions and to no avail I ended up using the old stand by Hoover Shampo'er for the best results. The wasn't dirty, after all it's always been covered with something, but it was sticky to the touch.

I think the products I tried as suggested in other methods, help break down the adhesive so the shampo'er could break it loose and vacum it out. Now, after setting over night, I used a high power canister vacum with a power head to fluffed up the carpet, it looks like brand new and soft to the touch.

I don't think those carpet protection products with sticky backs, have been thourghly tested for the MotorHome emvironment. Like my wife said," I think well just put designer throw rugs down from here on out." And I have to agree with her, it took a lot of my elbow grease to clean up this sticky mess.

Tomcat F15
"I hope you've learned a lesson at my expense."
Old 04-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #14

Tomcat, there are several of these on the market and ive heard thatsome leave a mess. I found this kind that is rated for a full 60 days and have yet to have a problem. Carpet Protector by Plasticover
jbrvman is offline   Reply With Quote