Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2022, 01:13 AM   #1

Carrying a winch? Should you bother?

So Im getting ready to sell my jeep and I have a 10k winch* on it, I'm considering bringing it for my 6 month full time RVing escapade. I'll be using a 2020 Chevy Tahoe to tow a 26' trailer RV. I do plan on doing some boon-docking but not anything particularly crazy. For instance I'd just carry snow chains in case of ice or mud for the Tahoe and not run MT or probably even AT tires.

I'm debating if its worth the weight (plus the cost) to add a front mount 2" receiver** on the Tahoe along and dealing with the extra weight of carrying the winch, winch receiver carrier, snatch block, etc. I think the winch plus the carrier would be in the 125# range. Everything else I have but Id have to spend about $90 receiver carrier for the winch and $180 for the front mount receiver set up for the Tahoe. Lastly Id have to figure out where to store it. I don't think leaving it on the front of the Tahoe is super advisable but losing another 125# of trailer cargo capacity is not appealing either...

Thoughts from the crowd?

*It's ever been unspooled because the wife was afraid we'd scratch *her* pavement princess if we did any real off-roading.

** I do not want to spend the money/time to pull a whole new bumper on the Tahoe
chaostactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2022, 04:34 AM   #2

Unless there is something to hook to, a winch is useless IMO. That rules out desert boondocking. Then the capabilities of the TT must be considered when selecting a boondocking site.

IMO the expense of installing the winch outweighs its seldom called for use. You might consider carrying a tow strap for those once in a lifetime situations.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 06:14 AM   #3

I think it’s a waste to have the winch. You’ll most likely never get into a situation where you’ll need it, especially when towing a 26’ TT.

The only logical reason I can see to have a winch for your setup is if you plan on dropping the trailer and going far off-roading with the Tahoe.
Backcountry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Unless there is something to hook to, a winch is useless IMO. That rules out desert boondocking. Then the capabilities of the TT must be considered when selecting a boondocking site.

IMO the expense of installing the winch outweighs its seldom called for use. You might consider carrying a tow strap for those once in a lifetime situations.
not true, there is a "winch anchor aka land anchor" made for that exact purpose.

It's an extra expense but nonetheless there are tools available for recovery when there is nothing to hook to.
not disagreeing with a TT and offroad boondocking.

If concerned, get a "come a long". It's still a heavy beast to move around but you can store it and forget it until that oh crap moment.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post

Your comments are right on. The winches that I’ve owned didn’t do anymore than a good strap or chain wouldn’t do.

But I will admit, they look good and I reckon that if the need ever presented itself, you’d be glad you had it.
Country Road is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:30 AM   #6

if you have it,use it.an off road recovery will cost you huge.everyone says it will never happen to them till it does and there's nobody around to help your recovery.all my trucks have a winch because the one time i needed one i didn't have it and it cost me over $1000 for the off road recovery.that was in 2003.i'd hate to know what it would have cost now.if you rarely venture off the beaten track then i guess a winch is useless.it's also good to be able to help someone else out of a jam,not just yourself.fallen trees blocking my path have been an issue more than once.i could waste my time cutting it out of the way or just winch it out of the road.this past winter i winched a couple cars out of snowbanks/ditches.if you're not running offroad tires you're already in the danger zone,but being a jeeper you already know that.there's a reason why my tow vehicle is a Powerwagon.the middle of nowhere is my playground,and if i'm not in the middle of nowhere,i can see it from where i am at the time.
hemifoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:52 AM   #7

You really won't need it ,,,,,,,,,, until you do. What's the added POM worth to you knowing that IF the need ever arose, you could possibly get yourself out? As others have said, it's unlikely you would use it. Very few people travel with a winch. I don't think I would go out and purchase one for a possible need, but if I already had one and all it needed was a mount, I would find a place to store it.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:01 AM   #8

I have one on my Jeep that I flat tow with the motorhome. It has never been unspooled a day in it's life. With that, I love it! There is an added piece of mind that I have the capability of recovering my own equipment without the need of assistance from a bystander or a dreaded expensive recovery bill from a company.

Andrew
Fushux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:29 AM   #9

If you plan on heading deep into the bush yes. If not, no. Just watched a video of a guy in a sprinter way out on Canadian crown land get stuck and barely make it out. No lockers, no winch, no traction boards, no cell signal!
RV_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:53 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
I've lost count how many times I've used a winch over the years. I guess it depends on how much off roading you do, and how serious you are about getting to where you are going, or getting back home. I can say I've only used our Jeep winch once to get ourselves out of a sneaker Oregon dune tree hole. The other times it's been used to help someone else out, or for clearing trail. Other items to consider are a high lift jack, several good choker straps, a snatch block and a couple short pieces of cribbing. If your just sticking to forest service roads I probably wouldn't bother with any of it. But, you may find yourself thanking someone well prepared by taking just one wrong turn.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:09 AM   #11
US1

Tahoe vs Jeep.
US1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
Tahoe vs Jeep.

This! Unless you’re really into [mod edit] your stuff up, I don’t see a person taking a newer (probably stock) Tahoe out on some rock climbing or sand dune buggy trail to the point of needing a winch to get themselves out of.

Tire chains… I can see that. Sand mats… I can understand having a set. Tow strap… Yep.

But not a winch setup.
Backcountry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:56 AM   #13

I have yet to own a off road toy (ATV/UTV) that I did not install a winch on and use frequently.

I have always thought about/wanted to add one to my trucks and I never have. I live in the county and where it snows. I spend a lot of time on back roads off the beaten path. I have never needed/wished I had a winch, but you never do, until you do.

I could have used a winch on my current truck one time, however if I was not in the situation I was in I would not have done what I chose to do. I was on our farm and hauling a heavy trailer up our hill in the spring (wet/muddy). I knew there was a reasonable chance of getting stuck and I did. Sank the drivers side of my truck onto the frame. The fix was to have my wife walk the 300 yards down to the shop and have dad bring his tractor up while I was getting the tow strap out and set up. He pulled me back a truck length and I was free.

My trucks are 4x4. With my dually trucks I have always carried 3-rail chains and have only need them in the snow. I also always carry a HD tow strap, granted you need another vehicle to help you out. Another good thing to have is traction boards.
Nwcid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 12:09 PM   #14

I had a 120K Tenison winch on the front of my Broncos along with a "Sand Anchor" cause we went off roading and tow trucks would not come get us

Other then that...... winch can be a handy tool but so can come-alongs, snatch blocks etc

But is that Tahoe really going to go somewhere that a winch would really be needed??
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote