Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2014, 03:44 AM   #1

Caution – Buying DEF from Wal-Mart

Twice in the last 6 months I purchased a 2 ˝ gallon container of “Blue DEF” from 2 different Wal-Marts and the container was filled with water. The first time I purchased it while traveling and when I went to use it DEF there was no seal under the cap. I smelled and tasted it only to find it to be good old H2O (water). From this point on I check to see if it has a seal under the cap. This past Monday I purchased another container and checked to see if it had a seal, it did. I took it to our RV and when I went to pull off the seal it came off with NO effort. Checked the contents and found water again. This time I was only a few miles away from the Wal-Mart where I purchased the DEF and returned the container. The manager and employees had no idea what DEF was and told me that people do return saying they purchased too much. I told the manager, if a person purchased 5 gallons of gas from Wal-Mart and came back to return it saying the purchased too much would you accept the return? He said NO, how can you buy too much gas! I told him the same thing goes for DEF, you can’t buy too much, and it will be needed and used if you own a diesel engine vehicle that uses DEF.

This post is only a caution so I do not want to start a long thread about where and how to buy DEF or who does or doesn’t shop at Wal-Mart. However please comment if you have experienced the same problem with buying DEF at Wal-Mart.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 03:56 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was with a friend of mine that purchased some here in Central FL. All went well for him. Thanks for posting though to alert other of this potential problem.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:06 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Thank you!
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
manager and employees had no idea what DEF was and told me that people do return saying they purchased too much. I told the manager, if a person purchased 5 gallons of gas from Wal-Mart and came back to return it saying the purchased too much would you accept the return? He said NO, how can you buy too much gas! I told him the same thing goes for DEF, you can’t buy too much, and it will be needed and used if you own a diesel engine vehicle that uses DEF.
Good advice. Next time I purchase DEF I'll be sure to check the seals. Recently I bought 3 boxes of DEF for our new 2014 Diesel truck because of an upcoming long trip to Alaska. And then I, er ... the wife remembered that GM gives 2 years of free oil changes with DEF refills regardless of the dealer you take it to. So I returned the 3 boxes of DEF to Walmart this week. Trying to keep this giant growing pile of stuff we're bringing on our trip to a minimum.
jquinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:45 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Just for those who don't know, DEF is Urea disolved in water - about 65% water. It is clear and fairly hard to tell from pure water. It's also supposedly non-toxic, but can be corrosive to some materials, so it has to be stored in approved containers. I have never been entirely sure how something can be deemed non-toxic and yet corrosive at the same time.
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:20 AM   #6

I will never buy it from Wally World. Is is very difficult to tell the difference from plain water and DEF?
Road Master base plates
Palazzoblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
There was no seal under the cap. I smelled and tasted it only to find it to be good old H2O (water). .
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:15 AM   #8

SO the box of Blue DEF was opened ? and you still purchased it ?
These box's are sealed.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:32 AM   #9

Two of the last three I bought had no spout but was unopened and the seal was not broken. Maybe it was water???
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post
Two of the last three I bought had no spout but was unopened and the seal was not broken. Maybe it was water???
Same problem here. Purchased in San Diego.
kamakalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:44 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadrand View Post
Just for those who don't know, DEF is Urea disolved in water - about 65% water. It is clear and fairly hard to tell from pure water. It's also supposedly non-toxic, but can be corrosive to some materials, so it has to be stored in approved containers. I have never been entirely sure how something can be deemed non-toxic and yet corrosive at the same time.
Vinegar is non toxic, but a corrosive acid. There are many things that fit the description. Non toxic doesn't mean benign , just that contact or ingestion won't kill you.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:38 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've never bought DEF from Walmart. Guess I never will! Never thought about checking the container but will from this point on. Thanks for the heads up.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #13
gMw

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Thanks for the heads up, where ever I buy it (other than the bulk pump), I'll make sure the box is unopened and still sealed.
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Boxes can be opened and then resealed, the seal on the container can reglued on. It's amazing how low some will stoop to save a couple of $. I guess from no on buying ANYTHING that's sealed at the factory can not be guaranteed to be what it's suppose to be. It's a real shame we have to go to the trouble of checking anything before we use/eat it no matter where we buy it.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote