Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2019, 04:46 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Murder suicides are common when folks with PTSD end up down on their luck. Hoping for a good outcome but since they mentioned the bodies were decomposed I am guessing that it's not them. Not enough facts are known at this point to suggest their disappearance is not their choice.
Nice conjecture that was completely wrong.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2019, 09:53 AM   #44

most murders are from people that have NO respect for the law and order of OUR country. just look around at our next generation, now their being taught that its right to abuse our police officers dumping garbage on them and destroy police cars, just to name a couple. there is only a few in our gov. that want to protect you. its only going to get worse.
ps a lot of people here talk like murder is just a common thing, it just happens. when you go to bed tonight just lay there and think about if it was your wife or children would it be just common then.
Jay D.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:47 AM   #45
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most all crimes are from people who have not respect!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:25 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Most all crimes are from people who have not respect!
If people use a trailer and truck, you are more vulnerable, A thief hops in your truck, steals the truck, trailer and you. Far more dangerous when boondocking.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:40 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Truck stops vs. boon docking or campgrounds. FWIW we prefer campgrounds. I use to live in a medium size city, we had several very large truck stops and a very large rest area on the other side of the city. Drugs and hookers in both areas were off the charts.
It got so bad the rest area is now closed, permanently.
Logic defies me as to why you would want to spend the night in an area that has organized planned,criminal activities. I’d take my chances on a random event over an area with organized criminal activity.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:48 PM   #48
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasFoodGuy View Post
If people use a trailer and truck, you are more vulnerable, A thief hops in your truck, steals the truck, trailer and you. Far more dangerous when boondocking.

It is still no respect for others, and for all crimes. No respect for other's properties and or lives. The vulnerability has nothing to do with the lack of respect the criminals have for other people.

I have known down and out people who have a lot of problems, including financial but they do not resort to crime to solve their problems.

It is "Do unto others as you would have them do to you," not "Do unto others but do it first."
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:40 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasFoodGuy View Post
AHHHH that's good logic! now I think that would be fun, I would lean out the widow of the T/T and air-condition the back of the cab with 1/2" holes, lots of em.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:08 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Ive been reading about various aspects of this case for several hours now and as is usually the case, things are becoming more clear as more information comes in. With respect to the spot the Butlers chose to set up camp, a couple observations:

They had been camping at a local RV park (Padre Balli Park), with no issues. They checked out on Oct. 14th and set up on the beach which they described as “their new home for the next week or two”. Probably figured they could save some money and camp right on the beach half a mile away. Makes sense at first glance. Their pictures make it look like they had the place to themselves. The last anyone heard from them was two days later on Oct 16th.

And from an out-of-towner, New Englander, boon-docker’s perspective, checking google maps etc, this area looks like a great place to camp. Padre Island National Seashore, Turtle hatching site, etc.

What they probably didn't know, or didn't consider an issue, was that this area, Burners Beach, is also known as a nudist beach and the ad-hoc head quarters for the local chapter of Burners Without Borders, a burning man offshoot group that provides “services to those that do not have access to the services they need.”

Sounds commendable on some level, but what it says to me is that it is also a party/drug scene that attracts bottom feeders from society’s fringes with little or nothing, hence nothing to lose. A quick look at their facebook page and a dozen or so pertinent news pieces seems to confirm this.

So what probably looked like an idyllic and safe (National Seashore) place to legally camp for a couple of weeks before heading to Florida for their next job (selling Christmas trees - a job they picked up through a “Work to Camp” program) was also a magnet for contra-culturalists and low-lifes, enjoying a party scene that may seem harmless at first glance, but also attracts desperate people who have nothing, including ethics, morals, and values.

The Butlers may have known about this and considered it unimportant. Or they may not have known and might have camped elsewhere if they had the benefit of local knowledge. But having recently been accosted in the middle of the night by two guys in Memphis that looked very much like the guy driving the Butler’s truck, I am now much more discerning about my choice of camping locations than I was before my last trip.

We dont know yet if the people in the Butlers truck headed to Mexico are responsible for the murders. They may have just found the truck unattended with the keys in it, and being what they are, took advantage of the situation. Or they may be responsible. The Butlers may have been acquainted with them, befriended them, offered to help them, let their guard down...

Its still impossible to do any thing more than speculate on the rest, but one thing is sure: there are some lessons to be learned here.

Safe travels....
Old 11-05-2019, 08:05 PM   #51

Very thoughtful and good insights...R.Wold

A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be - Albert Einstein
Old 11-05-2019, 08:59 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post

What they probably didn't know, or didn't consider an issue, was that this area, Burners Beach, is also known as a nudist beach and the ad-hoc head quarters for the local chapter of Burners Without Borders, a burning man offshoot group that provides “services to those that do not have access to the services they need.”

Sounds commendable on some level, but what it says to me is that it is also a party/drug scene that attracts bottom feeders from society’s fringes with little or nothing, hence nothing to lose. A quick look at their facebook page and a dozen or so pertinent news pieces seems to confirm this.
Here is Burners Without Borders website. I don't see that they are 'bottom feeders' as you describe; although I don't do Facebook.

https://www.burnerswithoutborders.org/

At the news conference yesterday the Corpus Christi authorities stated this was a popular family beach and was considered safe.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:39 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Here is Burners Without Borders website. I don't see that they are 'bottom feeders' as you describe; although I don't do Facebook.

https://www.burnerswithoutborders.org/

At the news conference yesterday the Corpus Christi authorities stated this was a popular family beach and was considered safe.
BWB aren't bottom feeders, and I didn't say they were. In fact I said their mission is commendable on some level. But they attract them. Intentionally. It doesn't take much mental effort to make the connection. Its not even their fault really. It comes with the territory. Just like a soup kitchen or a homeless shelter. Needed, and commendable, but not necessarily where you’d want to park for the night, much less a couple weeks, with your RV. Right? I certainly wouldn't. I’d be happy to contribute, maybe even lend a hand, but camping there with my family? No

Maybe its just me. And while some may claim its a family beach, some reviews say its a nudist beach. Which Im not opposed to - been to some rather pleasing ones in the Eastern Caribbean. But I wouldn't consider it a family atmosphere, and I wouldn't boon-dock at one.

I don't like to speculate, but I have a feeling, after all Ive read about this incident and about the Butlers, that if they knew the real reputation of Burner Beach, they would have camped elsewhere.

So excoriate me all you want - I feel Im on pretty solid ground here.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:45 PM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
For a little background on my new appraisal of this sort of thing, take a look at:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/preve...ml#post4961054

This incident totally changed how I look at “unregulated” camping. Doesn't mean I like it. Just is what it is. In fact it totally sucks and directly diverges from how I previously felt, and how I would like to pursue my RV aspirations. But that and fifty cents wont even get you a cup of coffee, so realism prevails.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:21 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

An arrest has been made in this case. https://www.wcvb.com/article/sheriff...uple/29714964#
Old 11-06-2019, 05:16 PM   #56
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
This thread is now closed. It's become disruptive due to those that can't help posting about the firearms they're toting.

Apologies to those who did post withing our Rules.

Lori-
Closed Thread