Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2021, 08:40 PM   #29

I've had problems with both the AAA & AA size leaking in the past 3 years , prior to that virtually never had the issue .

Maybe time for a few " Nasty Grams " to the manufacturer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2021, 09:04 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
I switched to Panasonic eneloop rechargeables about 10-12 years ago. Never a leak. Only had 1 go bad so far. The only problem is I keep buying more. It is amazing how many things beyond remotes run on AA and AAA batteries.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this is the battery charger to get. It properly charges each battery individually, rather in pairs like some dual chargers do.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2015 Itasca Sunova 30A, Brazel Ultra RV Tune, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs on front, CHF, Hellwig Endlinks, SuperSteer track (Panhard) bar, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Koni Shocks, 900 w. solar, Battle Born House batteries, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Ford Escape PHEV and DW.
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:49 PM   #31

Costco Kirkland Bad as Well

I've had several items damaged from Kirkland batteries. I wonder if Duracell makes them.
Old 09-19-2021, 02:59 PM   #32

Kirkland Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacraman View Post
I've had several items damaged from Kirkland batteries. I wonder if Duracell makes them.
I had a handheld laser barcode reader that had Kirkland batteries leak. Costco stepped up and paid the full replacement cost with no hassle

Recently had an expensive pulse oximeter with Duracells leak. The batteries were well within date. The unit was stored in an interior closet iin my overly temperature controlled home. The reply I received from Duracell made it clear that any sort of compensation would have to be earned by jumping through hoops. I am leaning towards higher cost rechargable NiMH batteries. With a quality charger, their life cycle count is impressive.
MartinGale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:00 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysigel View Post
Due to the pandemic, my RV just sat there from January 2020 until this past July. In preparation of our trip to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, I checked all of the RVs various remote control devices and there was a good dozen of them. I was surprised by what I found. Every Duracell AAA battery had leaked at the negative end! None of the Energizer or original AAA batteries made in China had leaked. None of the Duracells were even close to being out of date. They had different lot numbers and all, including the Energizers, had been purchased at Sam's Club. The Duracell label says "Assembled in USA." Then I checked all of the remote control devices in our house and found the same thing. Duracells may be cool-looking, but I'm afraid to use them now. Check the batteries in your electronic and remote-controlled devices. A destroyed remote can be very difficult to replace and so-called universal remotes usually don't perform as well, if at all.
Completely agree. Quality control for Duracell batteries seems lacking in a big way. We used to buy them in bulk, but stopped a year ago after finding many AA and AAA batteries leakin in various controllers. Very disappointing.
Phillips66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:05 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
I have called their customer service 800 number in the past. I had a $85.00 LED flashlight ruined by AA Dura cells. After explaining everything to the lady at customer service and giving her a reference to the flashlight that was ruined I was an ask for a bank account number where the money to replace the flashlight would be sent. 3-4 days later my account was credited $85.00. Since they will stand behind their product Duracell is all I purchase now.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:06 PM   #35

Kirkland Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacraman View Post
According to Costco, Kirkland batteries are made by Duracell! Yes, Duracell used to guarantee their batteries without jumping through a lot of hoops, but it seems that those days are gone for good
Old 09-19-2021, 03:31 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
I will NEVER use Duracell batteries...Ive had hundreds of dollars damage caused by their crappy products. 10 year shelf life is bunk. When you try and get paid for their defective product they make it impossible to prove the value of anything
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:48 PM   #37

Damon Owners Club
Home Depot

It looks like many of us have had the less durable Duracell battery leakage problem and damage to the flashlight or remotes from that leakage. At last count I have 22 flashlight that mostly use AAA or AA batteries and most are sitting in vehicles gloveboxes, seatback pockets, backpacks, or tool boxes and only get used a few times in a year.

Now I buy Home Depot "HDX" brand online and they ship them for free and in the three years I have not had any leakage problems. The price is about half or one third of Duraless cells. I write the date on them on the side when installing them and check the voltage on them about every 6 months and write the voltage on the side when I check them. Anything less than 1.3 volt is replaced with new and I give the old ones to the local hazmat fire station recycling center.
Old 09-19-2021, 03:50 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Because everyone I know always keeps receipts for a $5 item. I wonder if anyone has ever collected on the warranty?
I’ve had multiple Duracells leak and damage devices. I called the warranty number and they asked what had been damaged and how much it cost to replace. I told them and they sent me coupons to cover the cost of new batteries and a check for the devices. I didn’t have to show receipts, they took my word for it. I now remove batteries if I’m not using the device for a month or more. I’ve still had some batteries leak when not installed and still in date. Pain in the a##.
Sailorman295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:56 PM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Rayovac

I have been using Rayovac batteries for years. They are less expensive and I have had no issues at all. My work light has six of them and all read 2.85 volts. My light is almost as strong as it is with fresh Rayovacs.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:13 PM   #40

Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysigel View Post
Due to the pandemic, my RV just sat there from January 2020 until this past July. In preparation of our trip to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, I checked all of the RVs various remote control devices and there was a good dozen of them. I was surprised by what I found. Every Duracell AAA battery had leaked at the negative end! None of the Energizer or original AAA batteries made in China had leaked. None of the Duracells were even close to being out of date. They had different lot numbers and all, including the Energizers, had been purchased at Sam's Club. The Duracell label says "Assembled in USA." Then I checked all of the remote control devices in our house and found the same thing. Duracells may be cool-looking, but I'm afraid to use them now. Check the batteries in your electronic and remote-controlled devices. A destroyed remote can be very difficult to replace and so-called universal remotes usually don't perform as well, if at all.
It surprises me how many people blame a product for their failure to maintain their products. Batteries left in flashlights and other products have been failing for years. This is not new and not isolated to any brand. Take a breath and admit you left the batteries in too long.
Gary P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:14 PM   #41

That is why you REMOVE all of the batteries from your remotes BEFORE
almacd1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:15 PM   #42

parking your unit for the winter!
almacd1814 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, batteries, leak