Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2021, 04:18 PM   #1

Caution: Multiple Duracell AAA batteries leaked

Due to the pandemic, my RV just sat there from January 2020 until this past July. In preparation of our trip to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, I checked all of the RVs various remote control devices and there was a good dozen of them. I was surprised by what I found. Every Duracell AAA battery had leaked at the negative end! None of the Energizer or original AAA batteries made in China had leaked. None of the Duracells were even close to being out of date. They had different lot numbers and all, including the Energizers, had been purchased at Sam's Club. The Duracell label says "Assembled in USA." Then I checked all of the remote control devices in our house and found the same thing. Duracells may be cool-looking, but I'm afraid to use them now. Check the batteries in your electronic and remote-controlled devices. A destroyed remote can be very difficult to replace and so-called universal remotes usually don't perform as well, if at all.
jaysigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2021, 04:27 PM   #2

i have to second that.last 3 remotes i went to replace batteries all had duracells and all of em were leaking.
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:29 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've had at least 10 items over the years destroyed from Duracell batteries.

Years ago Duracell had a replacement guarantee that they would replace any item destroyed by their batteries. That, of course, went away a long time ago.

I will never buy Duracell batteries again based on all the leaks I've had with them.

And, I might add, I'm not seeing near as many leaks with other brands although there have been a couple but not as many as the Duracells.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:30 PM   #4

Same here, leaking and not even at the use by date. Just fancy adverting they do.
ROUGHRIDER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:42 PM   #5

Funny, just the other day I picked up the remote for my dogs Traxxas 4 wheel drive Hoss monster truck and it wouldn't work. I popped the battery compartment open and the two Duracell batteries both had leaked from the negative end. I just figured it was a fluke, but now after reading these other reports I don't know. I guess I had better check all of my other battery using devices.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Funny, just the other day I picked up the remote for my dogs Traxxas 4 wheel drive Hoss monster truck and it wouldn't work. I popped the battery compartment open and the two Duracell batteries both had leaked from the negative end. I just figured it was a fluke, but now after reading these other reports I don't know. I guess I had better check all of my other battery using devices.
Wow, and I thought I treated my dog good.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:10 PM   #7

I just found this Duracell warranty:
https://www.duracellpower.com/pages/warranty
Quote:
The DURACELL® product carries a limited warranty against defects in material and workmanship under normal use and service for a period of 2-5 years (warranty period varies depending on product type, consult your product manual for specific details) from the original date of purchase. The manufacturer or distributor, at its option, shall repair or replace the defective unit covered by this warranty. Please retain the dated sales receipt as evidence of the date of purchase as it will be required for any warranty service. In order to keep the warranty in effect, the product must have been handled and used as described in the instructions accompanying this warranty. This warranty does not cover any damage due to accident, misuse, abuse or negligence.
And I found this:
https://api.ferguson.com/dar-step-se...20our%20option.
Quote:
GUARANTEE: If not completely satisfied with your Duracell battery
product, call 1-800-551-2355 (9:00AM – 5:00PM EST). Duracell
guarantees its batteries against defects in materials and
workmanship. Should any device be damaged due to a battery
defect, we will repair or replace it at our option. Leaking battery
and damaged device must be provided as proof of claim. Duracell
may deny claims of damage caused by misuse or modification of
the batteries or device.
CAUTION: May explode or leak, and caused burn injury, if
recharged, disposed of in fire, mixed with different battery type,
inserted backwards or disassembled. Replace all used batteries at
the same time. Keep in original package until ready to use. Do not
carry batteries loose in your pocket or purse. Do not remove the
battery label.
BEST BEFORE: See Date on Battery or Package.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:44 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had Duracell leak in recent years too, but compared to other batteries, they always cleaned up nicely, fairly easily, without device damage. NEVER recovered one damaged by Energizer.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:28 PM   #9
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Because everyone I know always keeps receipts for a $5 item. I wonder if anyone has ever collected on the warranty?
Old 09-14-2021, 10:46 PM   #10

I have not had good luck with Duracell alkalines either. I might use an item that comes packaged with Duracells for a short time but I make sure to dispose of them and reload with another brand before they leak.

I'm now trying the Amazon brand alkalines to see how they hold up. Only a few months under their belt but they seem to be doing fine so far.

Edited to add: Maybe apples to oranges,,, but I was given some Duracell rechargeable nimhs a few years ago that have held up well. They don't have quite the capacity they did when they were new but they do still charge and work in devices like my handheld gpsr.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:14 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep, I also have had several Duracell batteries leak. Alarm system, flashlights, remotes, etc.

Multiple expensive flashlights a few years ago. Contacted duracell. They wanted receipts for the batteries, flashlights, and other paper work. Then they would maybe consider a claim. It was pretty obvious they were just tossing up roadblocks.

I don't use Duracell anymore.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:29 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I tend to use Ray-o-Vacs because their price is generally a bit less than the others. BUT, they too will leak if left mostly unused for months. I'm pretty sure I've had Energizers leak once in a great while. Same for Duracells.

One thing I have learned is the use of long handled Q-Tips dipped in white vinegar does a good job of dissolving and cleaning up the mess left by the leaking batteries if you can catch the problem soon enough. I have had flashlights and other devices where the leakage was old enough and dry enough that the batteries were seized in place. In nearly every case I had to throw the device away.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:50 PM   #13

Note the last line of the Duracell warranty... "This warranty does not cover any damage due to accident, misuse, abuse or negligence."

I'd bet that not changing the batteries in your devices counts as "negligence".

I write the date on the batteries with a Sharpie when I install them.

Hard-to-replace items (like remotes, or test equipment) get a piece of adhesive tape on the outside with the date written on it. I have a personal rule of thumb - replace every other year, or if it was exposed to summer heat (like the flashlight in my car trunk) then every year. I still have several 9-volt powered smoke alarms in service in my house. They get changed on Christmas, as that's an easy-to remember date.

Mike
Old 09-14-2021, 11:54 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
When I park the rig for any length of time I just pull all the batteries out and place them in baggies along with the remotes....I learned after having to toss some items..
Joyce M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, batteries, leak