Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #1

Cautious when "refueling"

It is not easy to describe an issue when someones own stupidity is a factor but I do feel this incident has some merit that I feel like sharing.
When we stopped to fuel today at a "Hess" station we pulled up to the "Green" pump to fill our Allegro Red up befor parking it at home. After all the sign did say Diesel fuel and they are the ones with green labels and handles arent they ???
Well at Hess they, ARE NOT, they are "Regular"
I notices the mistake ( here comes the stupid part) after i had pumped 35 gallons of GAS into our Diesel MH. My point in letting the RV world know of my stupidity and oversight is that when I contacted Coach Net to be towed to have the fuel removed, They asked me, are you at a BP Station or a Hess Station? I said Hess, why do you ask and the lady said when we get this situation called in 9 out of 10 are at these stations. I for one will make perfectly sure to double check from now on and will even install a sticker inside the fuel door so it dosn't happen again.
And so you know the outcome, The first thing to do is make sure you DO NOT turn on the key to start the fuel pump. I even went so far as to remove the IGN FUSE so I did not turn on the ign switch by accident. I have a firm pumping out the tank in the morning and replacing it with the proper diesel fuel.
Another interesting tid bit was I called Lazy days to ask them what to do and their response was" how much gas did you put in if it was less than 10 gallons , just fill it up with diesel and run it and after it gets down to about a 1/4 tank change the fuel filter if I think it's necessary ???
comments welcome.
P S. Comments welcome on Lazy days response NOT my stupidity.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry for your troubles but don't be too hard on yourself. I have nightmares about doing the same thing... it just hasn't happened yet.

I'm sure our technical people will chime in on Lazy Daze suggestion but... I sure wouldn't think that was an acceptable approach.

Shake it off. You'll be back on the road tomorrow.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #3

Thanx Rick the fortunate part is we were"home" back in Port Charlotte where at least I could make the proper calls to people I knew that had answers and who to call next. My most dissapoint call was to Coach Net who informed me the Tow was NOT covered, as this was Maintenance and not a break down? not sure I am satisfied with that but I will call someone at Coach Net that might explain it a bit better.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
Community Administrator

I have a gas coach and have come upon a few ( names escape me ) stations that have the green for gas instead of diesel. What are they thinking??? This should be universal. Sorry for your troubles but it's not entirely your fault.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for opening my eyes to something that I may have done myself. By coming forward like that you may have saved a lot of us from making that very same mistake!
Hope it all works out for you!
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I have a gas coach and have come upon a few ( names escape me ) stations that have the green for gas instead of diesel. What are they thinking??? This should be universal. Sorry for your troubles but it's not entirely your fault.
BP is another.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Thanx Rick the fortunate part is we were"home" back in Port Charlotte where at least I could make the proper calls to people I knew that had answers and who to call next. My most dissapoint call was to Coach Net who informed me the Tow was NOT covered, as this was Maintenance and not a break down? not sure I am satisfied with that but I will call someone at Coach Net that might explain it a bit better.
Why would they cover an operator error as an "emergency"?
Another reason why I use the truck lanes! No gas available there.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Reminds me of the reverse experience in Kansas many years ago when I pumped diesel into my '69 Camaro....don't trust the green/black pump handles.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

So.... what would have happened if he hadn't noticed and just started down the road? Obviously it would have been very bad but would it be fire and brimstone bad... like in the engine catching fire or worse?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I grabbed a green handle and put diesel in my gas truck before. I caught it at just a few gallons. Called my cousin who knows his way around motors. He said fill it up w gas and run it. I did. No problem. It seemed to improve my gas mileage slightly. Banghead

[QUOTE="djbmsu"]It is not easy to describe an issue when someones own stupidity is a factor but I do feel this incident has some merit that I feel like sharing.
When we stopped to fuel today at a "Hess" station we pulled up to the "Green" pump to fill our Allegro Red up befor parking it at home. After all the sign did say Diesel fuel and they are the ones with green labels and handles arent they ???
Well at Hess they, ARE NOT, they are "Regular"
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
It doesn't only happen at those two gas stations... My girlfriend took her F350 to Flying J for some diesel. A friend was there and they struck up a conversation. While talking, she grabbed the gas nozzle by mistake. By the time she realized what she had done, she had put 12 gallons of gas in the tank!

Not knowing any better and thinking it wouldn't hurt, she started the truck and pulled it up about 50 feet. It was a 2005 truck, with the electric fuel pump. She then had it towed home. It took me three hours to drain the tank and attempt to purge the fuel lines. After putting 10 gallons of diesel in the tank, I attempted to start the truck. Even with the lines purged and fresh diesel in the tank, it was 15 grueling minutes, before it finally ran right.

The only good thing to come from the ordeal, was that I was able to put the gas/diesel mix in my own truck (1993 F250 IDI diesel) and it ran great on it! The owner's manual for the F250 even stated that they recommended putting some gas in the tank, during the cold winter months.
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #12

I had a similar but somewhat different problem. Pulled into a marina once with my boat and the attendant filled my water tank with gas. Never drank the water again.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
I had a similar but somewhat different problem. Pulled into a marina once with my boat and the attendant filled my water tank with gas. Never drank the water again.
Reminds me of a houseboat trip we went on with some friends. We had a hand pump that we used to fuel up the jet skis and boat with, via the houseboat fuel tank. Our idiot friends inserted the pump into the black water tank and began filling up one of their jet skis with sewage. Needless to say, that ski was out of commission the rest of the trip!

Djbmsu, I'm curious to find out the total expense of draining and disposing of the contaminated fuel. Let us know what the final outcome is.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have seen Yellow handle Diesel pumps!
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote