Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2021, 11:24 AM   #15

I miss the old CB party line days but sun spots and technology seem to have destroyed that. I had one in my company truck for years and for a long time in the RV as well but in all of that time, I can only remember have an RVer respond to me no more than a half dozen times.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2021, 11:29 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I have one and don't use it. I used to use it when I was a member of a GS chapter that traveled together on several trips. It was useful to all pull off at the same time, keep track of each other. etc. I was a "trucker" and the ones keep in touch with rarely use their CB's. they are all using Waze gps , Phones and Voice to text. several have included me in their nightly banter giving me a bad time about being retired
Unless your in a convoy camping group ( some still require them and they make sense. ) I'd pass.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
I miss the old CB party line days but sun spots and technology seem to have destroyed that. I had one in my company truck for years and for a long time in the RV as well but in all of that time, I can only remember have an RVer respond to me no more than a half dozen times.
I think it’s the cell phone network and all the electronics people have. I was in the middle of the Arizona desert and the static was still terrible after the sun went down. So I think the cell phone network interferes with cb frequencies too. It hasn’t been quiet since about 2004-2005.
Myjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:03 PM   #18

I remember the CB banter...

C'mon westbound... you got a copy?... how's it looking over your shoulder?

You got a plain brown wrapper at the 498 and a full grown bear flip flopping around the 520. After that it's all clean and green back into the Alamo... c'mon...

I tried to explain that to my kids and they just look at me like I'm nuts.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:09 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myjunker View Post
I think it’s the cell phone network and all the electronics people have. I was in the middle of the Arizona desert and the static was still terrible after the sun went down. So I think the cell phone network interferes with cb frequencies too. It hasn’t been quiet since about 2004-2005.
There is a problem in that there are vast stretches of North America with no cell coverage. I just drove north on Vancouver Island and had no service from Brown's Bay Road until about six miles south of Port McNeil which is about 110 miles.
Year before last we went up towards the Yukon and even more miles and miles of no cell coverage. May have changed in the last bit but I really doubt it.
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eez Moose View Post
There is a problem in that there are vast stretches of North America with no cell coverage. I just drove north on Vancouver Island and had no service from Brown's Bay Road until about six miles south of Port McNeil which is about 110 miles.
Year before last we went up towards the Yukon and even more miles and miles of no cell coverage. May have changed in the last bit but I really doubt it.
No idea. I haven’t really went where there was zero cell coverage and unpacked the cb. But everywhere I have gone and tried to use it the static was 8-10db and could only hear people real close when the sun was down and skip ended for the day. Everything was within tolerance levels.
Myjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
I remember the CB banter...

C'mon westbound... you got a copy?... how's it looking over your shoulder?

You got a plain brown wrapper at the 498 and a full grown bear flip flopping around the 520. After that it's all clean and green back into the Alamo... c'mon...

I tried to explain that to my kids and they just look at me like I'm nuts.
10-4 good buddy, hammer down! I guess I'll throw my CBs away and stick to my walkie talkies (Motorola CB-200 UHF radios). It's a private channel setup so although other folks can hear me I can't hear them.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:16 PM   #22

I have one in my coach and it's on all the time when we're on the road. Not so much for chit chatting, but for getting an early heads up of road problems ahead.

More than once I've gotten early notice of a sudden traffic slowdown ahead, often before I ever would've seen it myself. Saved me from having to do a panic stop or take other evasive maneuvers.

Did the same when driving semi - kept it on for help getting around accidents, construction, etc. Not much action on the CB normally, but when a lane closes for an accident truck drivers will get pretty active.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:45 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
I doubt that most truckers are using VHF or SSB as those radios require a license.

There are many areas out West with no cell coverage.

Im installing a CB, another tool in the box.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:09 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
I doubt that most truckers are using VHF or SSB as those radios require a license.

There are many areas out West with no cell coverage.

Im installing a CB, another tool in the box.
There are SSB CB radios, which I believe can be operated with the same credentials as any other CB.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:30 AM   #25

I have one in our MH. Was listening to a conversation the other night on our way back home from a trip. Definitely not like it use to be 25 years ago. Breaker one nine, how's it looking over your shoulder? You got a picture taker (police with radar gun) back at mile marker 42, over. 😂
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:32 AM   #26

I still use mine, especially when we travel with 1-3 other couples, also has saved some time and frustration learning about traffic problems. On our trip to alaska in 19 i put my handle and channel on a sign on the back, got a number of hellos from other travelers. wouldn't travel without it. just turn the squelch down in bad areas
Old 04-14-2021, 07:31 AM   #27

What Richard said.
I have one in my '06 Travel Supreme. (it came with it) I will turn it on every now and then. I got my first CB close to 50 years ago. We had permits issued by the FCC to us. (users) The highway channel at that time was 10, not 19. Used it quite a lot; not so much anymore.

Ray
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:43 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have one, an on trips I turn it on to channel 19 or 17 not much traffic but has help on Interstate accidents with backups.

Tags
radio