Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2021, 08:09 AM   #71

SKIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by permitwriter View Post
What is skip? After we got our coach in 2019, I dug out my old (1983) CB but couldn't get it to work. I have since noticed that they still sell them at truck stops.
When atmospheric conditions are right, a CB signal can bounce off the ionosphere and travel from state to state or further. The boys in the hoods crank up the signal strength illegally and talk between Kalifornia and who knows where. Fun to listen to sometimes if you understand hood ebonics.
ItalGerBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2021, 06:56 PM   #72

My RV has the CB system and antenna already factory installed.

However I don't use CB radio and haven't found yet the electrical and signal connections.

In fact, being a radio amateur I prefer to use the OM radio, the CB, especially in urban areas, is now completely unusable.
Tony65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:34 PM   #73

Jayco Owners Club
I have a CB that I haven't installed yet. I think having a CB would be value in certain situations such as accidents and bad weather, but I am not sure how often that would occur and have yet to install it. I also need an antenna that will work on fiberglass for my class c.
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:31 AM   #74

Damon Owners Club
G-maps is better than nothing for traffic info but is only so-so on accuracy and isnt in real time. There is some lag in updates.

Truckers on the other hand sing like birds when there is a slowdown.

Time is money.

My goal is to make traveling as trouble and stress free as possible.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:20 AM   #75

My father in law always had a marine radio in his motorhome. Special channels there for emergencies.
56glasspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:37 AM   #76

I have a Cobra 29LX in the coach. It is on most of the time....not much to listen to versus 20-30 years ago. Occasionally, I get a heads up on something down the road to avoid.

Maybe CB Radios will make a comeback someday. Until then, "10-4 Good Buddy"
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:03 AM   #77

Newmar Owners Club
CBs are alive and well

All the comments about CBs being dead or mostly quiet must not travel much on busy interstates. I always use mine in my MH or four wheeler especially when traveling to FL. Down there I-95 and I-75 become a mess real fast due to accidents or construction. I-40 through the "Gorge" near SMNP is part of my main route to get out of NC when I go north. It's very helpful to know the status of that road as well because it frequently gets tied up in traffic. I get warnings all the time of "brake check" and which lanes are open. It's also helpful to get alternate route suggestions when there is congestion. Then there is the issue of real world road conditions when the weather is bad and/or roads are covered in ice or snow. Truckers will give you precise information to the MM of when you can expect to get in it or out of it. I'd never leave home without it.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:06 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I have a CB that I haven't installed yet. I think having a CB would be value in certain situations such as accidents and bad weather, but I am not sure how often that would occur and have yet to install it. I also need an antenna that will work on fiberglass for my class c.
I hope someone reads this and responds to you. A few days ago, I asked for suggestions on which type of CB radio antenna I should buy for my Class A since it wouldn't be attached directly onto a metal surface as it would in a car or truck. I am still waiting for an answer.
Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:18 PM   #79

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchanter View Post
I hope someone reads this and responds to you. A few days ago, I asked for suggestions on which type of CB radio antenna I should buy for my Class A since it wouldn't be attached directly onto a metal surface as it would in a car or truck. I am still waiting for an answer.
Get a firestick 'no ground plane' antennae.
I plan on getting one when I install a CB before we hit the road again.
Oops forgot the link
http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/GP-or-NGP.htm
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:57 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by permitwriter View Post
What is skip? After we got our coach in 2019, I dug out my old (1983) CB but couldn't get it to work. I have since noticed that they still sell them at truck stops.
Skip is when the signal skipped off the atmosphere letting you talk to people a long distance away. But that atmospheric condition also comes with static. Skip happens in the daytime.
Myjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:03 AM   #81

CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I have one and about the only times I use it are if we get stuck at the back of a traffic jam or if we are traveling with another couple.
that makes it all worth while having a CB
maggiemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:20 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Great - More stuff for drivers to do while driving besides driving.
Really!!!
Old 04-23-2021, 11:19 AM   #83

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65 View Post
My RV has the CB system and antenna already factory installed.

However I don't use CB radio and haven't found yet the electrical and signal connections.

In fact, being a radio amateur I prefer to use the OM radio, the CB, especially in urban areas, is now completely unusable.
Hi Tony, perhaps the question I have demonstrates how little I know, but what is an "OM" radio? Not too mention, now that I am retired I am highly considering getting a ham radio technician class license but not sure how much value that would be while travelling. Thanks, Craig
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:43 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Really!!!
You never played CB tag? Great game! One car could get 10 minutes to hide within 7 miles and the ones chasing them all start at the same place and try to find you. You count 12345 when hiding when they ask. They triangulate you ! It’s a lot of fun! The hiding car has to stay in the same place. They cannot move.
Myjunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio