Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2016, 07:16 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two stories.. Now given a few minutes Google maps may have updated, but alas, you can't count on that

1: A winter's day, or evening in any case, in a Deep and Dark December, I was not alone, at all, Driving back from dinner, With my family a freezing rain falling was what I did see..

(You can almost sing that,, Obvious tune if you are a singer)

Well the CB told me of an overturned semi ahead so I started to back it down.. Just as things would have gotten dicey at normal speeds but were not even exciting at the speed I was down to I came to the wall of brake lights and a car in each ditch,, provided shelter for the players and the Deputy,, had a nice chat with him,, Transported the players home, NO DAMAGE and of course no ticket for me (Since I had made an emergency stop.. Safely.. On the freeway to provide shelter in my big van for 2 car loads of victims)

Story 2 Much more recent
Headed south on I-75 in KY,, comming up on exit 76 in about half a mile.. Suddenly the CB tells me of not one but TWO fatal accidents long abou MM 73.. I was in the right lane so signaled and exited.. Found parking, enjoyed dinner, a good restful night and breakfast before continuing down the now open road.. No damage to my Blood pressure at all...

The poor guy behind me likely Smiled when I exited,, then said OH **** about 40 yards past the exit cause that's where the wall was. I got to the top of the exit just in time to see the police close the entrance ramp.

Now.. When I drive the house..l I have 2 CBs one on 19 (The one that told me of those accidents) and one on 13 (The Good Sam's Channel)

And a 2 Meter rig on 146.52, and likely one scanning as well
And a radio in the back that may or may not be on 53.525 (I can remote it to the front)

and.. Well you get the idea.. LOTS of communications.. Most of which I completely ignore most of the time (but occasionally they are interesting).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2016, 08:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickndebw View Post
Should we get a good CB radio? Heading out in a few day through some cold passes. I've read some people's posts that they listen to truckers regarding weather and hazards.
ABSOLUTELY!!! IMHO, a CB should be on everyone's "Must Have List."

It will give you current information - wherever you are (assuming you are in range of another CBer) and a emergency beacon when necessary.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:12 PM   #17
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have a Cobra CB in my MH as is common in so many other MHs. I so rarely use it. I can see it's worth if travelling in a group and you want to chat a lot. Cell phones don't always have connections, especially out west. I have a GPS (Garmin) which gives me good road conditions and traffic info. Most weather apps for my I-Pad give me weather warnings with plenty of early warning.
CBs are toys and all men like toys. That said they are fun.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:28 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
For my money i'll stick with my HAM rig. CB is limited in range and power. The use of repeaters for a ham gives you much better coverage in the event you are out of cell range.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:13 AM   #19

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
I have a CB in all my vehicles and at home. You get real time traffic reports on the CB. Ham is what you need for long range help.
This is my base set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1483197147925.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	147880  
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio