Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2016, 10:56 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
CG demolishing buildings and stopping services

The CG we are in for about five months Knight's Key RV in Marathon Florida Keys was sold and will become a "high end" hotel resort. Like many of us here we made our reservations at the beginning of last season and paid a deposit. We also paid in full when we arrived back in Nov. Everyone knew it would happen but were assured this season would be OK, not looking good for the 2016/17 season.

Today we found out in less than two weeks they plan to bulldoze the restaurant, tiki bar, fish cleaning station and for whatever reason the employees work shop building. The restaurant houses the wifi equipment BTW.

So what should we expect or how can we prevent this? Whats next shut off the water and electric? Can't take the sewers away because there aren't any. Thought about a partial refund but then they may just offer to refund us for the rest of our stay and around here in January most places are already booked.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2016, 10:58 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That does not sound good at all.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:15 AM   #3

Hopefully they will relocate the WiFi and rent a trailer for the shop.

A discount to some local resturants would be nice.

The change over to a resort was a long time coming. It started back before the housing crash.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:26 AM   #4

They'll probably have to shut off the power and water while they knock down the buildings. You might have the right to stay, but are you willing to fight it out in court without power and water? They've got time on their side, as eventually you have to leave anyways.

Hope it turns out ok, but plan for the alternative.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:52 AM   #5

That's a terrible and dishonorable way to treat people. Yes, time and leverage power appears to be on their side in this situation. You may want to consider this option...
Accurately get the names of the primary individuals and the company they represent and then take your story to the local TV news stations and newspapers about this story. It appears that the company involved is in the hospitality business, and yet their treatment of their current guests is anything but honorable. Above all, make sure that you gather all the facts (not rumors or heresay) ahead of time along with a supporting cast of guests. Who knows, the local news may want to make a story... or not.

In any event, a partial refund for the remainder of the stay is in order for the loss of amenities. I would suggest a minimum of 30% as a staring figure.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:56 AM   #6

I just went on their site and it was letting me make a reservation for April, with a list of available sites. Perhaps it would have declined it, if I actually made a reservation?
Could it be a rumor as to what's happening in less than 2 weeks ?
Old 01-07-2016, 12:01 PM   #7

They don't have OTA TV, let alone a station. I think the local paper is twice a week.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
I just went on their site and it was letting me make a reservation for April, with a list of available sites. Perhaps it would have declined it, if I actually made a reservation?
Could it be a rumor as to what's happening in less than 2 weeks ?
No rumor. The staff was at meeting the day before. Guess they are already letting go eight people.

AFAIK they will still operate the CG until Dec 31. But I would not bet on it. The story is the building (s) will not meet code so they can't get insurance. Right, why not just lock the door? Why the emergency demolition. The excuse for the tiki bar is they forgot or screwed up the license so they can not buy alcohol. So why take it down and not remove the equipment and still let guests gather there?

Something is fishy here.

The power feed to the buildings appears to be separate from the campsites, not sure on the water.

We have been coming here for twelve years and this is the third "sale". The others fell through for different reasons. One I believe was a Ponzi scheme. This one is for real and a done deal. We are looking for other options nearby but they are limited and some very expensive.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:39 PM   #9

I'd enjoy the rest of my stay and look for alternatives. Not healthy to get upset over rented space.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #10

I was wondering for a while who AFAIK was. That's a real bummer. I would hope you will get a sizable rebate on what you paid for your site, considering they're demoing the campground around you. Best of luck, especially considering how limited your options are down there.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:32 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
They obviously are not concerned about your repeat business......
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:37 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
The CG we are in for about five months Knight's Key RV in Marathon Florida Keys was sold and will become a "high end" hotel resort. Like many of us here we made our reservations at the beginning of last season and paid a deposit. We also paid in full when we arrived back in Nov. Everyone knew it would happen but were assured this season would be OK, not looking good for the 2016/17 season.

Today we found out in less than two weeks they plan to bulldoze the restaurant, tiki bar, fish cleaning station and for whatever reason the employees work shop building. The restaurant houses the wifi equipment BTW.
Don't know if you seen my post on this resort right up the road from you Mark http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/point...ld-275116.html , sad They plan to do the same!
Old 01-07-2016, 03:38 PM   #13

I would be filling my freshwater tank! Good luck.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:08 PM   #14

All I can say is you got to love developers and making way for more people. Makes me sick what I see going on everywhere I go.

Tags
service