Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2014, 02:33 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Change flooring

Has anybody out there had experiance in changing the flooring in there coach,i want to take the rug out and install tile,i think that is to big a job for a DIYER,any suggestions on where to get it done ?
walterodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2014, 02:57 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Depending on your sub floor, tile may be a bad choice. Many rv ers remove stock tile and never stays clean carpet and install wood laminate flooring which is very dyi with the right tools and advise from Lowes. Most diesel rigs have strong enough sub floors and weight limits for tile but most gasers don't. Someone will disagree.... I have a workhorse chassi (P30) and I would not install tile.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
If you are intent on tile you can get advise and tools from Lowes or they will have a contractor do the install after you buy the tile from them. Lowes will handle it all for you. The installer will not care where you are putting the tile. Just keep in mind all RV floors flex so a flexible grout must be used.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:03 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
Depending on your sub floor, tile may be a bad choice. Many rv ers remove stock tile and never stays clean carpet and install wood laminate flooring which is very dyi with the right tools and advise from Lowes. Most diesel rigs have strong enough sub floors and weight limits for tile but most gasers don't. Someone will disagree.... I have a workhorse chassi (P30) and I would not install tile.
I think you are thinking of ceramic tile, the OP didn't mention what type, I know there are some beautiful vinyl tiles out there and some great sheet vinyl that can look like stone or ceramic and is easy to install... a good DIY project if you follow instructions, If I can do it you can too!

I made my own 'stone' floor out of cement in a spare bedroom and it came out really well but too heavy for the RV I think,
I will be using vinyl tile or sheet when I do it this summer.
there are some great floor pics of projects done by RV owners but I cannot seem to find the link...
Old 01-26-2014, 07:05 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
ceramic tile weighs 5 pounds or more per sq foot. If you are close to your CCC go to luxury vinyl planks
pm me- next month, I'll be 42 years in the business. I know something
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:36 PM   #6

We put Armstrong luxury vinyl tile in our truck conversion (also have the exact tile in our home) At the time the tile was only available in 16" (so we installed at 45 degree)but I heard it is now available in 12",which may look better in a smaller area. The grout that is available for this tile is epoxy base so stays flexible.
There are more manufactures of luxury vinyl than Armstrong but keep in mind this is not the cheap peel and stick stuff available from the big box stores-this is more expensive than ceramic tile but doesn't have the issues as ceramic has.
I did the install at the house and was very happy with the results.
Good luck
G Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Shaw View Post
We put Armstrong luxury vinyl tile in our truck conversion (also have the exact tile in our home) At the time the tile was only available in 16" (so we installed at 45 degree)but I heard it is now available in 12"....

Good luck
It is also available in 12"x24" (this is the size I like to lay in pattern). Higher end gas motorhomes such as the Tiffin Allegro use a luxury vinyl tile as well (not sure what brand). Compared to those peel and stick vinyl tiles you might be thinking of this is a completely different animal. Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in the product but believe it to be a great product for this application. Advantages - , not to heavy to maintain CCC, durable, water resistant (especially compared to laminate), resilient & cushiony on the feet, maintains a nice temperature (not to cool or hot relative to the room it is installed in), easy to clean and looks almost like the real thing. There is also a wood plank version which allows your floor to maintain a similar floor height profile if you are adventurous and mix product.

For more a fair bit more information I posted a fairly long explanation just a few moments ago (2nd post) on this thread.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/time-...me-191434.html
Old 01-30-2014, 05:11 AM   #8

12x24 would sure be difficult to install in the confines of a coach.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:23 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i have only seen on rv that owner took out carpet an put in tile, its one reason we didnt buy it, it had a slide. job looked like it was a quick fix (real quick).
Old 01-30-2014, 06:00 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
My 2 cents.

You need solid advice from someone like Ernie.
I hired a contractor once for tile work. Someone I knew had done a lot of tile and he did a ok job but I noticed some mistakes and I am not a pro.

So on my next job, I went to a tile supply store. One that only does tile work and you will find a lot of contractors come in there. A well known tile supplier in my location.

It is owned and operated by guys who have been in the business a very long time. I got a solid recommendation and hired my next contractor.
Very satisfied! I showed him the previous job and he confirmed what I found that was done wrong from previous job.

I say this because, even though I worked for a major box DIY store and still use them for advice. You don't always get the best in advice or help. A job like that in a RV I would want the best of the best doing the work.

If I can I will download a picture of a 5r that had laminate flooring put in and it looks fantastic. This KOTR 37 REQS is exactly like ours except the flooring. I intend on finding a pro that can install it in ours also.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:10 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Laminate Flooring option

Click image for larger version

Name:	KOTR A.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	54970
Old 01-30-2014, 06:14 AM   #12

Did you glue that down? It looks like tongue and groove which can be cut tight against the cabinets/walls. That is the way to have it professionally installed without quarter round.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:34 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
Did you glue that down? It looks like tongue and groove which can be cut tight against the cabinets/walls. That is the way to have it professionally installed without quarter round.
Ernie, DW found this photo of a twin to our rig. We had laminate put in the S/B by a pro and looks fantastic.

In this photo of this King, we too like the laminate. Not sure how it was installed in here.

In our S/B it was not glued. It is a free floating floor. I would want someone with experience doing this in a RV for sure. Jim
Old 01-30-2014, 06:39 AM   #14

In a home, laminate is relatively easy to install as a fella has plenty of room to move around. And with square corners, molding is acceptable for a good looking job. I have seen jobs in rvs with rounded corners and quarter round trying to be installed and with copious amounts of caulk- YUK