Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Charcoal grilling, what is everyones favorite method?

I like a burger cooked over charcoal YUMMY
I have been using a cheap propane model that I took out the propane burner and I toss in kindling or charcoal to make coals and cook on. It has done me well these past 12 years ... It was sort of handy as the lid fit tight, the wire stands also folded over the top to hold the lid on and it was small. I have a smaller grill that I found that fits in the bottom to raise the charcoal or wood up an inch and it makes the heat source close enough to the grill for a nice hot cooking area. It is still in good shape, maybe I will keep using it. It is also nice as it can tip over and not spill when in the storage.
I also have the heavy duty grill that has foldable legs for cooking over the fire ring. Works well also but I have to get a fire going for that and it is hard to manage the flame at times depending on depth of fire ring etc...

I have a lodge hibachi at home here that the grill area is not close enough to the coals to be hot enough unless you use a load of coals and it's heavy. Not the best grill I have owned by a long shot.

I am debating if I shoud get one of the MarshAllan Cast Iron Hibachi Charcoal Grill. It is like the ones we used to get for the shore place every summer to cook on. I think we bought them at the local supermarket. Cheap and did a great job at cooking. I use to love the fact you could bring the grill down to just over the coals or way up to keep things warm.

Then there is the baby weber... I have not used one before so I don't know how they cook.

What are your favorite ways to charcoal grill on the road?
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
little weber her for the mh big red weber at home carcoal all the way
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I carry an Aussie grill (got it at Home Depot). It's similar to a Weber but it's square and it folds up flat. Cooking surface has 2 height settings. I also carry a small (about 1' square) piece of expanded metal for cooking burgers on, as the grill's surface has rather large holes in it. I try to use Kingsford Mesquite every chance I get. I love that Mesquite flavor!!

Kerry
BABrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Gas everytime It ain't the flame.It's always been the seasoning .
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #5

I like mine over any good hardwood, start it 2 hours before you need it, I've had some days the heat from the coals is just white hot. Later on I do the bacon over the remaining coals, only takes minutes and no mess on the stove or in the trailer.
Erich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Charcoal grilling

If you think charcoal grilling is good, you should try a Treager Pellet Grill.
Treager cooking is yummy!!!!!!
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #7

I had been cooking on a stand up gas grill.But am looking into getting a steel "adjust a grill" from Wally World or Cabelas and cooking on an open flame for camping with/without my cast iron pans depending what I am cooking.
woody! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #8

Big Green Egg

We have the large Big Green Egg for the house. For the 5er we have the smallest. We love them. Cooking using real charcoal, not briquettes. I can cook pizza, smoke, grill, slow cook just about any cooking method. The flavor is great.
badge2283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
If you think charcoal grilling is good, you should try a Treager Pellet Grill.
Treager cooking is yummy!!!!!!
I read a thread on escapees about this grill, kinda pricy, but from the reviews worth every cent. There is a website for a company that makes wood pellets from many different wood species for different flavoring.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #10

Treager is expensive. It is very high quality, and does a great job on cooking.
badge2283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #11

We have a Weber Little Smokey. Perfect size cooks great. I find it much better than gas and seems to fit better in the "Camping" environment. Kinda like using gas logs at a campsite? What's with that.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #12

I like to wait for your meat to come off because by that time the coals are just right. J/K I use a baby Weber or a small gas one. Depends where i'm camping.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman View Post
I like to wait for your meat to come off because by that time the coals are just right. J/K I use a baby Weber or a small gas one. Depends where i'm camping.

There is usually plenty so grab a plate -Guests get served first... lol cooks are always the last to eat, it's the price we pay

Complaints to the cook may be hazardous to your health
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote