Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2018, 11:38 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Chassis batteries

Hi again;

I know this question has been around before, but I need to ask again..sorry..
How do you keep chassis batteries charged when hooked up to 20 amp service from shore power for extended periods, when winterizing...I’m pretty sure that 20 amp will keep house batteries charged but not sure of chassis..
Thanks again for your input..
scorpodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2018, 11:45 AM   #2

Get a Trick-L-Start which is connected between your chassis and house batteries. Comes with wire, connectors and screws. Easy to install.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:51 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I use a battery minder to keep my batteries charged. I like the battery minder because it sends a pulse charge to desulfate the batteries while in storage. It must work because I just changed both batteries (House and chassis) after ten years service. Both batteries passed load test, but showed slightly weak at the end of the test.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:54 AM   #4

Another Trik-L-Start owner here
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:05 PM   #5

Good morning, or afternoon Scorpodoc; Can't remember how an Alpine coach is set up for battery charging. If your system for charging batteries thru your inverter along with something like a big boy, not sure, to charge your chassis batteries and house. I have had Monaco Windsor's. They have had the Trace inverter that charges the batteries along with a Lampert battery maintainer. This is what charges both the house and chassis batteries in my Windsor. I have had the coach plugged into just a 20 amp service and that has had no problems powering the inverter for battery charging. You can only run so much on 20 amps. This all depends on how your system is set up. As others here have answered, you might need a separate charger for the chassis batteries as some coach builders do not have the option to charge house and chassis while on shore power. Hope this answers some of your questions.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:26 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Some MHs will charge the chassis and coach batteries when plugged into shore power..

If your's doesn't, get a Trick-L-Start..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:32 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The amount of amps isn't important - 15-20A is plenty for charging everything. The real question is whether your brand of RV does any chassis charging at all from Shore Power. Most Fleetwood coaches do, and National RV as well. More recent Winnebagos do, but not aolder ones (especially gas models).

If yours does not, you can add a Trik-L-Start or similar (Xantrex Echo Charge, Magnum Smart Combiner), or you can simply plug a small battery maintenance charger (aka trikle charger) and hook it's alligator clips to the chassis battery terminals. VOILA! Problem solved.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyer View Post
Get a Trick-L-Start which is connected between your chassis and house batteries. Comes with wire, connectors and screws. Easy to install.

Thanks for the great info. Just ordered a Trick-L-Start. Greg
svcattales is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, chassis