Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2018, 05:22 PM   #15

Thanks Jay, I'm just looking at my 3-0 AWG battery cables, and the shunt and the shut sure looks inadequate.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2018, 06:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Thanks Jay, I'm just looking at my 3-0 AWG battery cables, and the shunt and the shut sure looks inadequate.
There are 500A shunts available; see the one at this link.

You might want to consider buying a Trimetric, Victron or Magnum battery monitor and shunt, rather than the less-expensive ones.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:10 AM   #17

We don't dry camp much and I just wanted a cheap battery monitor to let me know current usage on the rare occasion we do dry camp. I had a Victron monitor on my boat on which we anchored out a lot. It's a good monitor and served it's purpose well, but not cheap.

Below is a picture of the shunt next to a battery cable (3-0 AWG) in my coach.
The 2 little bars running between the two terminals on the shunt must pass the same current as the cable.

I might post this picture on a new thread to get a wider audience and see what they think as to the shuts suitability.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cheap shunt.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	347.7 KB
ID:	189172  
Both sold
Old 01-18-2018, 10:20 AM   #18

I just found out the same unit comes with a 300 amp shunt. The 300 amp shunt looks the same but with 4 small bars between the terminals instead of 2.
Both sold
Old 01-18-2018, 01:30 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, that is a very stark comparison. My cables are much smaller. The 300 amp capability should serve you better. In my case, I was primarily concerned with my 1K Watt continuous duty inverter as a limit.
gvjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:28 AM   #20

Quote:
I just found out the same unit comes with a 300 amp shunt. The 300 amp shunt looks the same but with 4 small bars between the terminals instead of 2.
Where did you find it?
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:39 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
There are 500A shunts available; see the one at this link.

You might want to consider buying a Trimetric, Victron or Magnum battery monitor and shunt, rather than the less-expensive ones.
I've considered a Trimetric for years, but the price has held me back. Maybe for the next unit. Meanwhile the cheap ones have my attention for my 7 year old fiver.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:14 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
Where did you find it?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Both sold
Old 01-19-2018, 07:27 AM   #23

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Your RV will never draw more than 50 amps will it?
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentB View Post
Your RV will never draw more than 50 amps will it?
Well the inverter is protected by a 300 amp fuse, so I'm assuming it does.

2 things to consider, a 50 amp camp ground power pole is really providing 100 amps of AC current, 50 amps at L1 and 50 amps at L2 for a total of 100 amps and 12000 watts.

Also we are talking about DC current. It only takes 3600 watts to get to 300 amps when using 12 volt DC. Many microwave's use 1800 watts when running, half way to the 300 amp fuse.
At least as I understand it.
Both sold
Old 01-26-2018, 01:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvjackson View Post
The DROK includes the shunt. I selected the 100A unit to be able to account for the power consumption of my smallish inverter.
Jay, I'm having some trouble getting my DROK unit to work. I ordered the 300 amp shunt. I connected the shunt with the terminal that has a small black wire connected to it, I connected this terminal to the battery. I connected the other terminal with a small red wire attached to the load.
I then connected a wire with 12v positive to the red wire on the pig tail supplied with the unit that plugs into the display. I connected another 12v positive wire to the Vn+ terminal on the shunt. I connected the USB cable supplied with the unit to the shunt and the display.

The display works but I get 0 readings on everything. I disconnected the Vn+ wire and the display still works but no values except 0. If I disconnect the 12v going to the display, the display blanks.

Any help on getting this working is much appreciated.
Both sold
Old 01-26-2018, 02:49 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I then connected a wire with 12v positive to the red wire on the pig tail supplied with the unit that plugs into the display.
Everything makes sense to me except the above statement, as, the USB connection supplies 5v and ground to the display from the shunt, and, 12v should only be connected to Vn+.

Maybe I'm missing/misunderstanding something.
gvjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:14 PM   #27

Thanks Jay, I hooked it up as you said and it appears the unit is not getting data from the shunt.
Both sold
Old 01-27-2018, 09:19 PM   #28

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Jay, I'm having some trouble getting my DROK unit to work. I ordered the 300 amp shunt. I connected the shunt with the terminal that has a small black wire connected to it, I connected this terminal to the battery. I connected the other terminal with a small red wire attached to the load.
I then connected a wire with 12v positive to the red wire on the pig tail supplied with the unit that plugs into the display. I connected another 12v positive wire to the Vn+ terminal on the shunt. I connected the USB cable supplied with the unit to the shunt and the display.

The display works but I get 0 readings on everything. I disconnected the Vn+ wire and the display still works but no values except 0. If I disconnect the 12v going to the display, the display blanks.

Any help on getting this working is much appreciated.
Unless I'm missing it, you didn't mention what you did with your negative cables. You should attach the negative cable from your RV to the large stud on the opposite end of the shunt away from the end with all the small screws. Then you have to supply another large cable to run from the other large stud to the negative post on your battery. (I hope I'm explaining this clearly enough.) Did you do that? I also found that the usb connection to the shunt is rather loose. Sometimes moving the cable slightly will cause the numbers to appear/disappear.
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery